Circle Lord

JudyL

I am not usually a procrastinator but I've had my Circle Lord for . . well, it will be 2 years old in January and it had never been out of the box. I had opened the box a couple of times and looked it, thought about what I might be able to do with it installed, sent Michael at CL an e-mail telling him I was thinkinig about installing it, then closed it back up.

This morning I decided today is THE day it is going to happen. DH can't possibly say no on Christmas Day to my one little request to help raise the machine. What else can you do when you're snowed in and can't leave the house now for the fourth day!:(

So, we did it! Took about 15 minutes and only took that long because we didn't raise it high enough the first time and had to go through taking the wheels off a second time.

I've had so much fun playing with it! It's kinda like a stack & whack quilt . . the instructions look confusing but when you take it one step at a time, it isn't hard at all.

And, I must say Michael at Circle Lord has been so helpful (and patient!) This thing is snug and doesn't wobble, is easy to put on and take off, is easy to use . . I'm impressed!! Here's their website if anyone is interested (no affiliation): http://www.loriclesquilting.com

And, here's my practice circles. Can you believe that 16 step circle takes just a few minutes and is SO easy!!!

post--13461897606886_thumb.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barb: I don't have the Hartley Fence so I can't compare the two as far as ease of use. I think the Circle Lord will do a whole lot more. They have a whole bunch of templates you can buy. I'm thinking I'll buy Aztec and Stars soon.

The CL comes with a very detailed instruction booklet and the guy who runs the show, Michael, is so helpful. I have written him several times (he would say I've written him dozens of times!);) and he has either written me back or called me within a few minutes every time . . even on Christmas Day! I must say the Circle Lord people have great service and technical support.

I was making circles and even that 16 step circle within about 5 minutes of getting it installed. You can see all kinds of pictures of what the Circle Lord will do at http://www.loriclesquilting.com

Judy,

Congratulations on getting it out of the box and up and running! I love my CL. I wish I had more time to play with it. When considering new templates I agree with Aztec-very versatile. I have the 12" crosshatch template and hope to get the newer 18". But the others are fun and useful too. Keep showing us your progress!

Nancy

Duluth, MN

Judy, did you do the feather wreath in the picture with the CL too? Awesome. I asked my husband for the CL (with 5 sets of templates) for my birthday in January. I showed him your picture tonight and he said to go ahead and order it. Yes!!! Thanks for your post, it made a big impact at my house. I'll let you know how it goes for me.

I made the circle with the CL and then did the feathers freehand. Getting the perfect circle for the spine is 99.9% of the trick to making the feathered wreath and now I can do them everywhere because it's SO easy!!

WOW! 5 templates. I want to come play at your house. Which 5 did you get (or are there only 5?) You're going to make me think about that Aztec template all day!:o

When you get the CL, you have to raise your machine a bit. They send you everything you need. I think this is part of the reason I put off installing mine . . I just hated to mess with my perfectly smooth machine. But . . it was a piece of cake.

When we were raising mine, we did the front first (DH thinks it would have been easier to have done the back first.) but we took a little piece of wood about 3/4 inch high and stuck it under the machine while we were doing all the screwing and unscrewing and that seemed to make it easier to get everything lined up without having to hold the machine.

It will all make sense when you start to do it.

Gretchen,

CL did have a special at the quilt show in Nov out in Washington state (I think). What Michael and Kay did was also offer the same sale offer on their website during this same timeframe as they didn't want anyone to feel left out or mad! I ordered mine right before the show and since they knew they would be having a special, they gave it to me when I ordered! A very unexpected but greatly appreciated surprise! So for others that can't get out to the quilt, check the website.

Nancy-Millenninum

Duluth, MN :)

Guest Linda S

Oh dang it Judy! Now you're really making me want one of these. Well, let's see how taxes go and if I can take an empty suitcase to MQX. If I can buy one there and not have to pay the shipping cost, maybe I can swing it! ;)

Linda

I sent an e-mail to Michael to order my CL. I told him I wanted the 18" Crosshatch, the Spiral (haven't decided between circle or square), Giant Clam, Aztec and Stella. They all look great that it was difficult to decide. They have a special if you buy 5 templates with the CL. 5% off plus no shipping costs. The shipping is a big savings.

I am most excited about the Giant Clam and the Crosshatch. I love quilts with those designs and can't wait to use them. Judy, send more pictures when you have an opportunity. I love your work and your CL samples were an inspiration. I'd love to see the first quilt that you do using this tool.

The website says it takes 2-4 weeks to get the CL and I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. I am extremely blessed to get such a wonderful birthday present. :D

Happy Birthday to you Jean and yes that is a very nice Birthday present, My Birthday hint was put in for one but I don't think that is what I will be getting. I have heard hints of the extenda base. I haven't seen anyone taking measurements yet. haha! But he is sneaky. I noticed that you are in Elk Grove my parents are in Grass Valley on Colfax Hwy. I will have to probably see how taxes go this year as well which isn't to far off.

I will wait patiently as well to see all your cool designs after you get yours. hehe!

KIm

It look less than 1 week to get my CL. He usually ships within 24 hours of getting your order. He also provides a tracking number so you can watch your order move through customs and through the US.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Kari

• 3 weeks later...

And it is great! My DH and I raised the machine on Saturday and I played with some of the templates. I have lots to learn but can already see how much this will add to my custom quilting. I just loaded a quilt and am going to use the giant clam template first. I will let you know how it turns out. Next I am going to practice some of the medallions. There are so many options and the books are easy to understand. However, a class wouldn't be a bad idea. Does anyone know if CL classes are available?

I have owned the Circle Lord for about a month. Before that had Hartley Fence. I am finding that the Circle Lord has greater functionality that the Hartley Fence. There are more size circles with the Circle Lord and you can make really small circles - I thought that (for me) the small circle on the Hartley Fence had too much space in the center. You can also do circles around circles without needing to responsition the devise - looks like a spiro-graph. The add ons are also great. I would go to the Circle Lords web pages which has pictures of many things you can do with the CL.

Hartley Fence is good for basic circles and diagonals. I have no complaints with the quality of devise - just wanted to upgrade to something that offered more. If anyone is interested I am selling my used Hartley Fence for a Millennium.

Guest Linda S

I just did my taxes today (which, trust me, was NOT exciting) and find that I may have enough of a refund to get a Circle Lord. I think what I will do is put the money aside and wait to see if they have a super deal at MQX. Guess I'd better bring an extra suitcase!

Linda

Archived