What grit and size of Emery Cord?

Hi,

I'm about to embark on my first time at retiming my Freddie. After watching the video on what tools to have I can't figure out what grit and size of emery cord to order. I've found the Mitchells brand that was recommended but beyond that I'm not sure what to order. Can you tell us what the factory uses? Also what grit do you usually use for the emery cloth. I've just ordered a 3-grit sample from 3-M.

Thank you!

I believe in a video Amy said they used Mitchells 57 or 58 cord at the factory, but not positive. I think I saw it on the video that was titled "Tools for Retiming"  it's less than 5 min. long.  I recently looked for this at hardware store to have on hand  when going to look at a friend's machine.  Luckily, it did not to be retimed! Good luck!  I'm sure you will do fine.

Tami:  I think that any grit 120 or finer would be OK.  I use a hard Arkansas stone to polish mine, so don't usually use emery cloth.  If your assortment includes 340 grit, that's probably what I'd reach for if I were to use it.  Remember, unless you scratched your hook with a broken needle, or your machine was so out of time that the needle was hitting the hook, you don't need to polish it when you re-time.  Good luck.  Jim

Thanks Jim. I had two broken needles a while ago and ever since then my machine doesn't seem to want to stitch from R-L without thread breaks. So it seems right to assume that the timing is slightly off. I'm not sure if I have a burr or rough edge on the needle plate but I wanted to have everything on hand once I started to do the re-timing.

Tami,

Before trying to retime - did you give Freddie a WD/40 Bath.  There could still be just a piece of needle in the bobbin basket/shuttle area.  I tood the timeing /maintenance class with Dawn C. this week. And she recommends WD/40 Bath every few quilts or more to ensure there is nothin in the bobbin shuttle.  Stuff gets in there so quickly and caused major issues.  Also check the bobbin case and needle plate to ensure there are no burrs/scratched on either. 

Good luck!!!

• 9 months later...

Lemon Tree Tami, did you ever go through the re-timing process? How did it go? I'm scared of it! I have a strange grinding noise in my Lenni (always have) and I also can't stitch from R to L without shredding/unwinding/breaking. APQS sent me a new hook assembly to combat the grinding noise, and I also wondered about re-timing, since I'm having the R to L problem. Did you find the emery cloth they recommend in the re-timing video. What grit? Where did you find it? I think I actually may have conversed with you a while ago about the R to L problem. Your handle (name) sounds familiar. Hoping I can learn from your experience! CarrieOnThePrairie in Alberta

Carrie, I buy 320 grit emery cloth on a roll (inch or so wide) at the local auto parts shop.  And while re-timing can be intimidating (very!), it's just a matter of going through the steps, either from the manual or from the awesome videos that Amy has put together.  Yes, you CAN rub your tummy and pat your head......

Tami,

Before trying to retime - did you give Freddie a WD/40 Bath.  There could still be just a piece of needle in the bobbin basket/shuttle area.  I tood the timeing /maintenance class with Dawn C. this week. And she recommends WD/40 Bath every few quilts or more to ensure there is nothin in the bobbin shuttle.  Stuff gets in there so quickly and caused major issues.  Also check the bobbin case and needle plate to ensure there are no burrs/scratched on either. 

Good luck!!!

Judith,

What is the wD/40 Bath?

Archived