How to quilt & What to piece around it.

I have a neighbor that I grew up next to whose husband recently passed away.  I have gotten some of his shirts  from his daughter without her mother learning about their pilferage.  They are in an assortment of colors, with about 3 lights, 3 mediums, and 3 darks.  

He had a copy of and loved Seymour Rosenthal's "Tree of Life".  He had it in his hospice room until his time of passing.  During my travels, when I saw the below Fantasia panel, it reminded me of him.  I am looking for suggestions as how to best quilt the panel.  I was thinking of sort of outlining the outer edge of the tree and branches and then slightly filling it in with invisible thread.  Doing the sort of the same with the flower petals and the butterflies.  Then filling the rest of the panel with some flowing swirl design.  I did not want to take away from the panel by using colored thread.  I would like to know if you have any better suggestions as to how to quilt the panel.

post-65706-0-14138700-1423184296_thumb.jpg post-65706-0-88156900-1423184308_thumb.jpg

I was thinking of placing the panel to the left side of the quilt and then piecing around it with the shirt material.  I would like the quilt a minimum of 72 inches long by 50 inches wide.  It can be bigger.  I was considering using the Abby Lane Fab Five or similar piecing to fill in the rest of the top, with the space next to the panel being one solid color with an area of negative space.  Or I was thinking of doing using the panel in something like a Kari Nichols "Sidelights" design.  If I could get a picture of him or the two of them I was thinking about printing that on fabric and placing that in one of the squares.   

post-65706-0-47984100-1423184443_thumb.jpg

If you could share any suggestions for piecing the quilt top it would be greatly appreciated.  

I made a quilt for her husband when he was diagnosed with brain cancer in early 2014.  It was my third quilt, and he carried it to all of his medical treatments.  She now has it on his side of the bed she told me.  For this reason, I want to make a special quilt for her.  He let me trace his hands before he passed, and I was thinking about placing those on the back side of the quilt, so he is sort of always holding her.  I know it sounds corny but I wanted him to be part of the quilt too.  I was also going to incorporate a strip of fabric that I have from his quilt back into her quilt to tie the two of them together.  I will listen to any suggestions.  

Take care and have a wonderful day.

Cagey

Buslady:  Thank you.

LeeAnn:  I am just concerned that it might make her cry when she uses it.  I know as time goes on, that the pain will lesson, but I know it never truly leaves you.  Do you have any suggestions or pattern to use for piecing?

Charlotte:  I have seen your work, and it is gorgeous. Do you have any quilt designs or suggestions to use on the panel?

If I can find an example of what you suggest on the internet, I can probably replicate it.  

Thank your for your inputs.

Cagey 

That's a heartfelt and meaningful plan for a comfort quilt for your friend.

With the very bright colors in the panel you chose, maybe you can add splashes of those brights interspersed with the probably more sedate colors in the shirts. I used Bonnie Hunter's Starstruck pattern (free) several times to make memorial quilts. The repeating red and white hourglass block corners with the scrappy contrasting dark/light colors of the shirts have made an easily-pieced top. If you substitute one of the gorgeous orange/reds and a bright blue for the red and white in the corners, it would add some sparkle to the piecing. Visually, the lights and darks make friendship star blocks, which is perfect for a comfort quilt.

If you opt for larger pieces of the shirts with surrounds, using some of the bright colors in the panel for the sashings would also make it very pretty.

Your friend is lucky to have you to do this for her.  :wub:

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/06/star-struck.html

Archived