Resource advice

Pickettfence

After 7 years of running an Ultimate II, we finally made the plunge and purchased a Green Millennium. It's just up and running in the last week. Can anyone give me some advice on resources as far as expanding my skill level? I feel I did as much as I could on the Ultimate II, but I want to use my Mille to it's fullest potential. Have you found any books to be helpful? Thanks for your help.

Linda

Hi Linda--

It sounds like you have lots of years of quilting already to your credit and may only need some classes for more advanced designs to have you flying along!

Are you near any big shows so you have access to all the great teachers out there? Or maybe you need a Hartley Fence or Circlelord set-up to advance to the next step.

There is a lot of information and discussion about tools, rulers, stencils, and add-ons under the Gadgets and Goodies section. Give it a peek and now that you have an SR you can easily do SID and ruler work.

Welcome to Milli-World and have a blast!!

Another Linda (Rech)

Linda, Give me details. How is it different from the Ultimate II? I have to justify buying a new machine. My husband thinks there's nothing wrong with the old one. (and there's not, I guess) But I really want a new one, especially one with an adjustable table and stitch regulator. Now that I have the Circle Lord I really want the stitch regulator.

Teresa:

Where do I begin? First of all, my Ultimate II is a bare bones model, no SR, so other than mastering pantos and doing simple custom work, I was fairly limited. But I've always known that I could produce a product that looked better as far as what I could do on the quilt, stitch length, etc. Well, I just quilted my first quilt on my week old Millie and I can't believe the difference. I didn't do anything different as far as choosing a pantograph, but with the SR, the quilt looks fantastic. Also, the tension, as far as loading the quilt, was so much better. As you know on the Ult II, you are readjusting your backing and top every time you roll the quilt on resulting in inconsistent tension. However on the Millie you establish your tension and let the automatic roller do the work. I feel like I've been introduced to a new world of options (Hartley Fence, etc) and I'm not afraid to try these options now that I have a better machine. As a small quilt shop owner (1000 bolts), I feel confident in displaying my Millie in the shop. I hid the Ult II in my basement. It's a great looking machine and it's advertising itself. I'm looking forward to many years of quilting for customers and I now have the best tool for the job. Hope I was helpful. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Linda

P.S. We went for the Green Millennium, have no regrets and were happy to save the money. :)

I definitely think the roller system would be great. Linda is right about having to roll and adjust to get the backing and top tension right. I also really want the stitch regulator. I got the Circle Lord for a late Christmas present and it's very hard to keep even stitches while making the designs on the Circle Lord. Plus I'm tired of having people call and ask me if I have a Stitch Regulator and when I tell them I don't they say they will find somebody else. I realize that some of them may not even know what it is, but it has become the buzz word for machine quilting and people are taking their things to people with stitch regulated machines (at least in Tennessee and Kentucky).

The problem I'm having is the money issue. APQS is only going to give me $2000 for my machine, then they will gut it and sell it for $10000 or so to somebody else. I will still have to pay $18000 for a Mille. It just doesn't seem fair. I'd be more than happy to pay APQS $5000 to remake my machine for me. I love my machine. It is just the right shape and size for me (except for the table). I love the weight of it, and I can do some awesome freehand stuff with it.

So I guess the dilemma for me is still justifying spending the money. I just feel like I'm going to HAVE TO

spend the money if I'm going to make any money.

Wow, I have never had a customer ask about a SR. It must be the buzz word there. I have the Millie, and have never quilted on anything else, so I didn't realize there was a difference in the rollers.

I guess it is like trading for a new car. They never give you what your old car is worth....

Teresa,

why don't you get the aftermarket SR like "Linda in Ramona" did? the IS Turbo I think it is called. You can get those customers that are looking for regulated stitching and then upgrade to the Millie (if you even need to)after you have a good clientele base.

Your machine is beyond the warranty anyway, right? Just my thoughts on the matter!

Teresa,

Why don't you trade it in on a Green Millie? 14,500.00 is what they are going for now, less the 2K you say they will give you on a trade in and you'd pay 12K. The only thing "used" about a green one is the outside housing. You can still get all the knicknacks and paddywhacks if you want, same as with a brand new Red Millie. The Freedom is also available with a stich regulator now, and I'm sure they could put a regulator and on Green Freedom, too. These might be an upgrade option you could look at. Don't get hung up on the 18,000.00 figure.

Originally posted by kennan100

Why don't you trade it in on a Green Millie? 14,500.00 is what they are going for now, less the 2K you say they will give you on a trade in and you'd pay 12K.

I wish it would be just that easy for me also, but it just isn't.....when you will only get $2500 at the most for your machine that you know will be sold for $12,000 after its refit with a Stitch Regulator it just doesn't seem fair....

I too love my machine, I have used it to the point its been refit once since I got it, and almost ready for another trip to the Dotors office.

I've had several also tell me its like buying a new car.....well, I don't totally agree. If I just blew a motor and didn't really need a new car as the old one was good in body and chassy....it doesn't seem fair that the dealer would tell me to sell my car to them so they could refit it and sell it back to me at a higher price than I bought it for in the first place. I know that if I want my car to work I'd be stuck with this, but it wouldn't be fair and I think this isn't truly fair either. I believe that they are hurting those of us who are in either a slow economical area or just can't afford to upgrade to even $10,000 after putting $5000 - 7000 into what we already have.

Intellistsitch is selling their systems for $4000 for the ULT II's this does not cover the cost of hotel and meals that could also be included as that is the deal you pay for their expenses as well.... I would be happy to see something like this from APQS....I'm not really sure I want some non-APQS parts on my machine. So I hesitate buying the Intelleistitch system.

I know its not going to happen, but it would make a ton of us happy....There have to be many many of these machines still alive and being used in busy hobby or business situations....while only a hand full are here on a regular basis, so I guess until something else comes available that I can afford without putting my house and home in jeapordy, I will be sticking with my old trusted friend.

We dance great together, there are just times it would make my life easier if she didn't have two left feet when we try to do the tango.

Don't tell your family :P Just kidding!! I know it is a huge decision. If I had not started out with a new Millie I would not have traded later, I would have just plugged along with whatever I had. I whine about making payments, and my machine would have been paid off by now if I had bought a different machine, but I'm glad my DH said "get the Millie". When it is paid for I will start buying things like new wheels, etc. That is much easier then the headache of trading.

I wish the Millie had been available when I got my machine....oops did I just tell you how long I've been plugging along with this old girl....we have been just great until lately. It has been like the customers have been reading books and getting the buzz words. Stitch Regulator...has become the big word. And the first thing out of their mouths is "Do you have a stitch regulator?", and I can't lie worth stink so out of my mouth comes, "NO, why?" They then come back with well that is the best quilting available and I don't want something that isn't perfect.

What makes me the maddest is that I have taken many local fair and local quilt show awards in the past 8 years on the west coast and now that I have moved to the east coast I can't get a quilt to quilt to save my sole because everyone out here wants you to have a stitch regulator.

I want to yell at them so badly that it doesn't make a pile of beans that if your quilter isn't a good quilter the equipment isn't going to make them a better one. And further more if you get good stitches without one wouldn't that make you a better quilter anyways...because you are in control not a computer.

Hi Bonnie--

Next time you are asked about having a SR, just say that you do award-winning quilting and, luckily for them, you are so good you don't need a SR!! (Show 'em pictures and samples) You are good and need them to know this!! Good luck.

Linda Rech

Bonnie,

I would think that because you are an award winning quilter, it would count for everything!! How rediculous of the customer to think that just the SR would make a perfect quilt - AND...(I'm on a roll, can you tell?)...What is a perfect quilt? We are human, oh, and so is the piecer. I love my SR, and truth be told, cannot live without it, but that is what I learned on. I know a lot of quilters that do not use a SR and I only dream of quilting as well as they do. If I were you I would pin all of my ribbons to my clothes when the customer is talking to you about your SR.

Bless you both Mary Beth and Linda....this is just how I feel at times as well. So far all the quilts that I have quilted in the last two years have been sent to me by my old customers in Nevada and California, I have yet to even quilt a local New York quilt. I have two coming from Northern California in three weeks....yeah. For this lady I have taken Best of Show, & First through third....all in one show and several Firsts in different shows....I would think this would be something the customers would be interested in, BUT NO....it all stems down to "DO you have a Stitch Regulator". grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The few that I have talked to have asked to see a sample ( I don't have a sampler like Teresa, must make one of those to carry around, but I do have a few of my own quilts) and before I could go out and get them or bring them back as I don't always carry them with me was the never mind, I would rather have someone with a stitch regulator do my quilt......its just a buzz word that they have heard and I'm sure that if they were to be asked what it does they really couldn't answer it. I was carrying my photo book with me for awhile when I would talk to some, but they all said they looked nice, but they wanted to touch the quilts to see the stitches.....again grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Guess I too am on a roll here.....I just think its unfair to be forced into buying another machine when the one I have works just fine for me. If I just could upgrade without having to sell my machine to re-buy it back for $12,000 I would be happy.....the learning curve wouldn't be that big of a deal, but its just the facts that upset me.

Wow Bonnie, I couldn't have said all that any better than you did.

And Yes Marybeth, around here (and evidently in New York, too) Stitch regulated is the buzz word. Fons and Porter have shown stitch regulated machines on their show. Sewing with Nancy had an episode featuring the stitch regulator, and the store in Jackson that sells machines has a huge sign hanging on their front window

STITCH REGULATED MACHINES NOW AVAILABLE They sell mostly Bernina embroidery machines.

I think it would be very profitable for APQS to offer us the upgrade on our old machines, Not just the Ultimate II's, but all the others as well. I didn't realize the Intellistitch was now $4000. The last time I checked into it they were $2500, plus expenses and training.

Oh well, maybe I need to check into buying a stitch regulated domestic for those people who want that and keep using my Ultimate II for the people who can appreciate large, colorful free hand designs that might not be exactly perfect.

Archived