Dumb question.....

I am doing a presentation for the quilt guild tonight on longarm quilting....and I just know someone will ask why it is called "longarm quilting" ....I am assuming that it is because of the large throat opening....does anyone else have any input on this?

Thanks....:)

Here is what the dictionary says:

"Longarm quilting is the process by which a longarm sewing machine is used to sew together a quilt top, quilt batting and quilt backing into a finished quilt. The longarm sewing machine frame typically ranges from 10 to 14 feet in length (or, 3metres to 4.25 metres). A complete longarming system typically consists of an industrial length sewing machine head (19 - 30 inches,) a 10 to 14-foot frame, a table with a layer of plastic under which is placed a pantograph, and several rollers on which the fabric layers and batting are attached."

David

True story.   A customer of mine was explaining to a friend who was to receive the quilt that I was quilting that it wasn't ready for the recipient yet because "It's at the longarmer's."  Recipient replies "Isn't it nice that she's using her disability to her advantage?"  I think she thought that my arms were so long they dragged on the ground. 

Beth - LOL!!!  Well it is done and I got some good feedback so I think it went well....it is just out of my comfort zone to talk into a microphone in front of 95 people so I am glad it is done...but I am hoping that some got some good information and will feel comfortable using a longarmer and for those who already do I am hoping they understand better now why we ask for extra fabric, etc....when I mentioned that trying to quilt out extra fabric and wavy borders was like putting on spanx - that extra stuff has to go somewhere - I got a laugh...

Thanks for everyone's input!

Vicki, your story has given me courage!  I am scheduled to give a talk to our guild in August. "How to prepare your quilt for the longarmer".   (or "Be kind to your longarm quilter.") I keep going over the talk in my head. Again, and again, and again.  Woo, I will be glad when this is over!  Congratulations on your successful talk!.

Chris

Chris,

I was most nervous when giving a little history on how I started long arming, (because everyone was looking at me - I imagined I was like Barney Fiff on the Ghost and Mr. Chicken), once I started the slide show and stepped to the side so I could explain my points and pictures it was much better, everyone was very focused on the slides....

I was a substitute speaker one time when one got sick. This was about 12 years ago. How do you start? Where do you start? I was so nervous that I just said, " ok, who has any questions." It went very smoothly from there. zeke.

I figured I would give a little background on how I got started in long arming, then a powerpoint slide show showing how a quilt looks as it is loaded on the frame, then we went to problems with friendly borders, c cups, etc, and I stressed how correct piecing and measuring borders would prevent this (thus the spanx comment), then we went on to how to prepare backings, batting and thread choices, and how the same quilt quilted 4 different ways can look so different, then we finished with price ranges and deposits, and how payment is made....I liked the powerpoint as it gave everyone something to look at besides me!

Archived