Grandson/grandma collaboration

This is a quilt designed by a 17 year old young man to celebrate his Native American heritage.  My customer, Diana, is his grandma.  She made a pattern based on his drawing and pieced the quilt.  I think it is SO neat that these two collaborated on this quilt...a treasure forever!

20826627846_ed1b5e81b9_k.jpgDiana's by Charlotte Peterson, on Flickr

20231941683_4995afdc32_k.jpgDiana's by Charlotte Peterson, on Flickr

It looks outstanding.  The quilting truly makes the quilt top pop.  While some may say feathers should not be on a "man's" quilt, I believe he will like them as feathers hold a prominent place in native american heritage.  

May I ask, is the circle around the turtle with the points appliquéd onto the quilt?  Lastly, do you have any information to share behind the design of the quilt top, and what they symbols and designs mean?  Is there any meaning in your quilting, besides it looks great!!!

Cagey

It's a very striking quilt, both quilt design and the quilting.

I'm curious about the symbols also.  From what I've read the four points around the circle represent the four directions.  Each has a different meanings associated with them.  I had also read the turtle is a symbol of the earth in some native cultures.

I'm with Cagey.  I'd like to hear the story of this quilt also! 

Archived