Galaxy Quilt

Originally posted by kwilter81

Thanks all! The F&P issue this pattern is published in is Nov/Dec 2006. Its done in homespuns in the magazine.

Just an aside, the quilt maker gave me back the quilt tonight at guild because it has 2 or 3 vericose veins (dark threads under the white) I am going to pick them out for her somehow. Any suggestions? Tough one.. Thanks for your ideas.

Pat B - NJ

Pat, get yourself a #12 crochet hook. I have a metal one I got at JoAnn's. You can poke it through the backing and grab that varicose vein then pull it out. I learned that from a class a few years ago and it works great. The hole is not much bigger than a needle hole with that small hook.

Patty

Hi Pats, Npt a whole lot of starts and stops. The feather border was done with one at each end for each side. The CC was done all the way across and back (I loaded it lengthwise), so only one or two on each row there.

Each feather motif had one start and one stop. I tie off my threads by taking a stitch or two in place. Then I pop the ends into a quick thread needle, bury the ends and clip. I bury my threads as I go, so its done when the quilt comes off. No knots on the back that way.

see you later

Pat B

Originally posted by BearPaw

I love this quilt!!! is there a pattern for it or is this something you came up with? Wonderful !!! And the quilting is superb.

Nancy

Shippensburg, PA

APQS Wanna-be

Hi Nancy, The pattern is from Fons and Porter Magazine. Nov/Dec 2006 issue. I didn't make the top, only quilted it.

Thanks for the compliments.

Thanks to all of you for the great comments. I had a bad quilitng day today.. I wanna scream. :( Going to bed now, tomorrow is another day.

Take care

Pat B

Pat, your quilting is beautiful. As others remarked, probably best not to mention the "chalices". I'm sure others will notice those blocks and mention them to her... I was glad to see the suggestion about pulling the lingering threads beneath the white fabric. That is definitely good information we all will be able to use eventually! Keep quilting - you do beautiful work.

Joann

Independence, MO

Hi Pat--

Beautiful quilting on an equally beautiful top.

Another tool I use for varicose veins is called a snag puller. I found it at Joanns. It looks like a thick needle and it has a spiral groove like a tiny, thin screw. It is inserted in a seam or stitch hole. Position it next to the errant thread and twist. The thread is twisted onto the screw section and it can be pulled out. This works best on loose threads but is do-able with raveled threads from seam allowances. I also like the crochet hook but it leaves a bigger hole so more care is needed.

Just wondering, are you fixing these threads as a courtesy to a customer? I usually leave those problems for the customer to fix--either before I start or after quilting. If I see a big problem before loading, I call 'em. Otherwise, the loose thread corraling is the customer's job. What do you all think??

Again, that is a great quilt, in every way!!

Linda Rech

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Hi Pat--

>>snipped...

Just wondering, are you fixing these threads as a courtesy to a customer? I usually leave those problems for the customer to fix--either before I start or after quilting. If I see a big problem before loading, I call 'em. Otherwise, the loose thread corraling is the customer's job. What do you all think??

Again, that is a great quilt, in every way!!

Linda Rech

Linda, I am fixing the threads as a courtesy, yes. I feel that they were picked up in my studio while I was quilting it. The top maker did not use dark threads in her piecing. It is conceiveable that they found their way onto her batting while it was loaded on my machine. That is why I offered to remove them. Still haven't done this yet, but did get a #12 crochet hook ($1.39) and the screw needle mentioned above too for about the same. I can use both of them anyway... It shouldn't take long once I can find the time to sit and pull threads out. Take care

Pat B - NJ

Archived