Quilt Number 7

I finished my seventh quilt in just just under 2 years from starting quilting.  I have quilted about 5 to 10 other charity quilts from my local guild to gain practice on quilt I would never see again.  I know that I am no speed racer compared to many of you here, but I am happy with my progress.  I have learned a great deal from all of you here, and from watching videos and taking a few local classes.  Thank you for being so helpful to us new quilters.

While I still see a number of errors in both my piecing and quilting, I would love to get some constructive criticisms to improve my skills as I move forward.  Here are some photos of the quilt I gave away yesterday for my daughter's roommate that graduated college early.

post-65706-0-43697200-1450717923_thumb.jpgpost-65706-0-16958400-1450718041_thumb.jpgpost-65706-0-58510600-1450718229_thumb.jpgpost-65706-0-35536200-1450718356_thumb.jpg

In the above third picture showing the side and the cross, it took me about 1.5 to 2 hours to quilt the 32 by 8 inch outside border.  Is this a normal about of time to quilt that sized area?  I think I move rather fast, but seem to be rather slow compared to some of the videos I watch online.  I also want to thank all of you that provided input as how to quilt around embroidered words. After following your instruction, I think it turned out nicely 

post-65706-0-30650700-1450718666_thumb.jpgpost-65706-0-54207500-1450718768_thumb.jpgpost-65706-0-48087900-1450718829_thumb.jpgpost-65706-0-42579400-1450718877_thumb.jpg

I see some backtrack errors, and some thread build up on the stems.  Do you normally break thread or just backtrack a few times and live with the thread buildup?  I used Robison Anton 40wt thread.  I know it is not the normal thread a number of you use, but the store was getting rid of their stock, so I got some 140 - 5000m spools for $2 a spool.  I could not pass up the deal when I was just getting started in quilting.    

I had been wanting to change out my one piece fixed hopping foot with a two piece interchangeable foot, but am now thinking it is not needed.  I used a cutting square ruler and a few circles to draw out my lines and then free handed the feather quilting.  I followed Kimmy Bruner's DVD instruction to draw out the stems on the side boarders.  I followed Paula Reed's input for drawing out the heart and then stitching it out to fill the space.  The squares look square, and the circles look round to me.  What do you all think?

Do most of you use rulers to guide your hopping foot on George or find yourself more using them to draw out your lines?  I think the rulers work a good bit better on a long arm.  They seem so hard to hold while moving the fabric at the same time.  I can follow a thinly drawn line much more easily and probably more accurately then I can move the ruler fabric together at this point and time.  

Thank you in advance for you input.  Have a great day, and balanced threads.

Cagey

post-65706-0-07219100-1450718934_thumb.jpg

You did a FABULOUS job, Cagey!  I am very impressed!  You did a variety of designs and they all look great.

I'll just respond to a couple of your questions.  As for speed of completing an area, that seems so individual.  Whatever works for you is just fine.  As for backtracking or tying off, I tend to use 100 wt. silk thread a lot, so I'm able to backtrack and it doesn't show up.  

And I love using rulers with George, but again, whatever works for you is the way to go.  

It is obvious that your practice time is paying off!

Brenda

Brenda:

Thank you for the kind words on my quilting ability.  It is nice to see that others approve of my work.  I was happy with the outcome, but unfortunately still see a lot of missed backtracks and errors.  I guess that is how we improve, by fixing our mistakes.  

I primarily asked about the quilt time, to see if I needed to work on that.  I enjoy the process, but wanted to know if there was another area to work on.  I will have to work with the rulers a little more before I make a final decision on changing the hopping foot.  I do not want to have to retime the machine.  

Lisa E:

Thank you for the kind words.

Marti:

Thank you for the affirmation of my quilting.  It makes me feel better about my results.

Have a wonderful day, and wishing you balanced threads.

Cagey

It looks wonderful...especially for only your 7th quilt!!!  I didn't even attempt feathers until about a year or so.  I am impressed you have a George and did all this with a sit down machine.  I am slow with my Milli so I have no advice on speed building for you.  I would just say whatever you feel comfortable with is where you should be at.  Everyone works at their own pace.  Be very proud of your accomplishments and keep on quilting!

The border is stunning!  The more you quilt, the faster you go, so there's no time frame for it.  It's what makes you comfortable getting the result you want.  

I found that using the same color thread on top and bottom hides backtracking issues. If I have a lighter backing, I use a lighter color of the top thread.  However, I've seen quilts from THE VERY BEST quilters and they show thread buildup on the back of quilts, so it's only an issue if you think it is.  A thicker batting seems to hide some of that.

I'm way more critical of my piecing and quilting than others are. That's what happens when you're a perfectionist.  It can be trying at times.  I've learned NOT to point out "my mistakes" to customers.  They never see them.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Cindy:

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement.  It may seem strange, but feathers seem to be an easier design for me.  I truly like how you can swing them out to fill the space.  

LibbyG:  

Thank you for noticing the borders.  I had to rip one full side of the stem out after I figured out I drew so the feathers would point the wrong way.  Luckily the un-sewer worked well, though it took about twice the time to take it out then it took to put it in.  Funny how that works.  I am proud of the border.  When I took the quilt to my guild's show and tell, I asked one of the longarmers how I could improve getting feathers to lay into the circles smoothly.  She looked at the quilt, and said to not use that as an example since it was done with a computer.  When I told her that was not the case as it was my quilt, she said to stop asking questions it looked fine.  I am glad I have been able to put all her suggestions and pointers to good work. 

I did use the same color top and bottom thread, though I matched the top thread to the quilt top.  I will have to try using a color that is a better match for both sides of the quilt.  I will try to follow your lead, and not be so critical of my work.  I only want to be able to improve.  I would like to try my hand at entering a contest in future, but do not want to be sure I do not embarrass myself.

Cathy:

Thank you for the support and kind words, I truly appreciate them.    

Merry Christmas to you all.  May you all be blessed with good health, safe fortune with family and friends, and balance threads in all your work.

Cagey

Archived