The Most Boring Top I've Ever Made and A Question?

I decided I wanted to learn to paper piece so I pulled out a book I have had for years by Carol Doak called "50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars." I chose a star I liked and started learning how to paper piece.  After several bad starts I finally got it down pretty good BUT......OMG is this not the most boring top I have ever tried making.

The star block will end up being 12" square.  You make 1/8 of the star at a time.  Each 1/8 piece has 9 pieces to cut and sew.  So you make 1-A piece and 1-B piece and then sew those 2 together and that makes 1/4 of a star.  So for 1-12" star block you will be making 4-A pieces and 4-B pieces.  I can make 1-1/8 piece in about 15 minutes.....which means I can make a complete block with it sewn together in 2 1/2 hours.

I haven't decided whether I'm going to need 16 blocks or 20 blocks plus a small border and then a larger outside border...no sashing....it all depends on whether I go completely nuts by then making the same repetitions over and over again.  It's going to be pretty if I ever finish it.

I did stop and quilted a queen size quilt top my mother had given me and I've got another one that I may at least put on the frame for when I can't stand to make another star.

Here is a picture of the quilt top I'm fixing to put on the frame.  Does anyone know the name of the pattern.  It almost looks 3 dimensional.  I would like to google the pattern and see what type of quilting designs they used on them.

David

post-66081-0-41567800-1453500933_thumb.jpg

I am going to take a stab at this and say Tumbling Blocks, but I am sure someone will have the real name of this block. 

I love the pictures in my Carol Doak book, but I have only admired the pictures. You are just going to have to stay "steady Eddie" and you will finally get 'er done. 

David,

Tumbling Blocks quilt tops are fun to quilt, there are so many designs you can go with. Try something new and have fun with it!  I have made several different paper piece stars from Carol Doak's books, they are pretty, but do take some time. I like to paper piece, I am not very fast at it either.....maybe it's a guy thing???  Reverse, sew, fold and cut! I always mess up at least one or more block, usually I have the fabric wrong side up/down. :P

David, I'm sure you will enjoy quilting that pretty Tumbling Blocks top.  I really enjoyed your description of the star blocks you are making, but where are the pictures to illustrate your entertaining story??

Betsy

Here are the blocks I have made so far....they are not squared up or sewn together yet but gives you an idea of what they will look like.

Ohio%20Star%20Quilt%20Block%20003.jpg

I think it looks like a great block!    and I enjoy paper piecing too.   I, too, find when I am doing the same block in the same fabrics over and over, that no matter how cool the block is, I get bored.  that's why I am doing mostly scrappy quilts now.   Maybe if you add in some other colors you wouldn't be so bored with it.

Okay, I have reached my "Like" quota for the day.....geeezzzzz, come on!!!!!!

David, I like your quilt. Yes, you are probably bored because it is only two colors. Maybe if you use those blocks and design a quilt with those forming a circle on the quilt, not row by row, you would feel better....I don't know....I am not a quilt psychologist  :D  :P

This is why we have 5 projects going at the same time. Sometimes you have to set one aside, and do another. When you come back, the first one will look better to you.  

The tumbling blocks quilt is going to be great when quilted. 

The paper pieced stars are sure a pretty design, but I am also so glad it isn't me doing them.  I do not like paper piecing at all and try to find a way to make those designs with traditional piecing methods.  I figure nature isn't perfect and my points won't be either although I work for close.

David, thanks for posting the paper-pieced blocks picture.  I can definitely understand why you're bored of making them, and also why you said it will be a pretty quilt when it's done.  I hope you keep chipping away at it, with plenty of sanity breaks!

Archived