Pros and cons on the "L" and "M" bobbin sizes.

I keep a separate bobbin case for each individual thread type. The smaller bobbin cases are less than $10. My friend has a different brand machine, but for hers, extra bobbin cases are just shy of $50 apiece. Something to keep in mind if that might be important to you.

The fact that one holds more than the other should not be dismissed as simply convenience.  In my experience most of the tension issues and stitch problems I have, begin with a bobbin change.  Every time I change a bobbin, I'm faced with an "opportunity" to make some sort of a mistake.  The fewer such "opportunities" I have, the fewer problems.  I've had the perhaps, unique benefit of having used both the L bobbin system and the M bobbin system on the same APQS Ult 2, and there was absolutely no difference in stitch quality.

I have 2 bobbin cases, and they have served me well for more than 5 years.  The additional cost of the M cases compared to the L's seems insignificant in that kind of time frame.  The same logic serves with regard to the hooks.  The life expectancy of these parts is so long that the higher costs of the M's doesn't seem to deserve serious consideration. 

Now this is my personal opinion that may not be shared by others, but I would not consider buying a machine that had the L bobbin system.  Some downside, but absolutely no upside.  Jim

If you are planning to add a computer system or think you might want to someday you will definately want the M bobbin. If you will only be doing hand guided and you don't mind the more frequent bobbin changes then you might like the L bobbin. There is definately a big difference in the cost of both the bobbin cases and the bobbins themselves but worth it in m opinion. I hate changing the bobbins.

I have the 'M' bobbin for my Freddie and so far my business is primarily pantos done using my IQ. It's so nice to have only 2-5 bobbins per quilt depending on size. Most of them are perhaps full sized or a bit smaller and use around 3 bobbins. It means I have fewer spots on the quilts where I have to knot/bury thread ends. So far I haven't noticed any tension problems at the end of the bobbin and I wind them myself with the Turbo Winder. Now I do not let the winder go until it says stop. I usually stop the winder when it looks like it's full. I've plugged it into a surge protector and use that as my on/off button. (I do wish that it came with an on/off button rather than just a plug. But the surge protector does a fine job.)

But I'd imagine that if I were doing more custom quilts with lots of thread changes that I'd prefer a smaller sized bobbin. It seems to be a matter of personal preference and needs.

Check out the cost differential of the parts if you need to replace them or have spares.  It is rather large.  Do some forum thread searches and you will find numerous discussions on the matter.  Any links I try to save will not post accurately for some reason.  I have to check that out later.

In the end, I think it is just what you are comfortable with.  Everyone is always looking for the magic item to improve whatever they are doing.  The only magical item is practice, practice, practice.  The three Ps.  Many published quilters and many here could take a 100 dollar box store sewing machine, and quilt lovely items.  While newbies can by the most expensive quilting machine known to man, and have unsatisfactory results without learning their new art.  Best of luck in deciding your course.

Cagey

Archived