tiger pantograph

I have seen Linda Taylor do that one time, she laid her square panto a long side her block, line them both up and center both, useing your lazer light on the panto and stitching on the block. I haven't tried it as yet but it looked easy... practice, practice, practice!;)

Jean

Mille

Tracing a pattern with the laser from the front requires something stable for the pattern to be attached to--a piece of lucite, masonite, even plywood that spans the rollers and can be made stable will all work. There is a thing called a Pattern Port that is sold commercially and works on the same principle. This works with panto sections or block patterns. You can also trace a stencil onto paper and trace that from the front----double duty for the stencil and no marks to remove!!

You can pin a pattern on the quilt and trace it, but usually the top bounces a bit and it is hard to follow the line.

A full panto won't work from the front as there is no way (so far) to stabilize the whole length of the panto. Maybe someone can figure a way to unroll the panto as you trace from one side---still think it is too hard to line up correctly. Hey Teresa--how about working on that idea??

Good luck and have fun. There are lots of brains out there and something is only impossible until someone finds a solution!!

Linda Rech

Olympia Wa

To me, it seems kinda of silly to work a panto from the front. There isn't much space to begin with for quilting and the time it would take to line up the panto would be more because each time you roll the quilt you would need to realign the panto. At least working from the back you only need to roll the quilt and the panto stays put in a straight line.

But with all that said...one way would be to have a product that had a light sticky surface that one actually stitched through. Then one could unroll, line up the pattern, stitch and then rip the pattern away...eegads...LOL...this is still too much work especially for a business.

Before CQ, at my house, I did use Glad Press 'n Seal for motifs once in awhile. The only drawback was pulling out the plastic where there was stitching on top of stitching and on light fabrics the permanent mark sometimes would transfer to fabric or the thread because of the heat of the needle.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, Va

A couple methods I have tried -

One is to use your laser from the front. And yes you do need a stable surface to set your design on. I do not know how you would use a long pantograph in the front

The second way is to trace a design on freezer paper and the lightly press on, stitch around and remove. You can resuse this multiple times.

Good luck

I found using wash-a-way stabilizer and kid?s washable crayons to mark, the best way to do a motif. The crayons come off if it gets on the fabric and a little water dissolves any remaining pieces of stabilizer that may get stuck in the thread. I would guess you could stack several layers and pierce the design with your DSM. I can?t take credit for this idea as I did see it many months ago on one of the chat sites on this same topic.

I have the Pattern Port.......it works fine, but in hindsight I would just get a hefty piece of lucite and lay it across the rails. The Pattern Port is a little limiting in the size of the pattern you want to use....you kinda have to shift and realign as you go. Just move the laser to the front and go for it. Works great for individual motifs.

• 5 months later...

Archived