Wool Batting

Now for all of you that have regularly used wool batting this will not be new, but for the rest of you, I want to share my recent experience.

I began to occasionally use Hobbs wool batting nearly a year ago.  I've been impressed with how it looks in a quilt.  A nice luxurious loft.  I also felt that it did not beard like the  cotton blend (I've never used 100% cotton so I have no experience with it) I use most of the time.  Some of my customers also really like the fact that the wool is about half the weight of cotton,  Well, I recently took in a quilt with a plain black back (no pattern at all), so I decided to test my opinion about bearding.  I chose to quilt the quilt with black bobbin and top thread. That way any bearding would be easy to detect.   I just finished the quilt.  I've carefully examined the stitching on the back, and there is absolutely NO bearding, none.  In the past when I had a quilt with a dark muted or red back, I've chosen to use black 80/20 to minimize the appearance of bearding.  With wool batting I no longer need to do that.

Now wool batting is more expensive that 80/20 cotton.  About twice the cost, and some have questioned laundering such a quilt.  Hobbs labeling about shrinkage states that their wool shrinks a bit less than their 80/20.  My customer's experience seems to support that claim.  The wool batting holds up to reasonable laundering as well as cotton blend, and a lot better than 100% poly.

I am now recommending to my customers the use of wool batting in all their quilts that don't require some kind of look wool doesn't give.  I'll be able to discontinue using black cotton blend batting as well.  One less product to stock.  To all of  you who haven't tried wool batting, I strongly suggest you do.  I like everything about it but the cost LOL.  Jim

Great feedback Jim.   I have started using wool batting in the past 6 months and am in LOVE!  I use the Hobbs Heirloom by the roll and it is beautiful.   Very good to know about bearding, because I have not had black backing yet.   Have had red - and no problems.  

Archived