Spa Treatment

Many of the APQS Dealers have been trained at the factory to do spa treatments in your home or their studio, depending how involved. They give it a thorough check up and replace parts worn from use. A few examples might be motor brushes, needle bar, rocker arm, hook assembly, re-packing the gear box.

A good indicator of what your machine might need would be how many hours it has been used for actual quilting. It may just need a thorough cleaning. In your manual is a maintenance chart you can follow to keep your machine running smooth for years.

I sent my 2004 Millie on a trip to Iowa in January of 2015. Before that I quilted 90 quilts a year on average and had it gone over by Barb Mayfield once, so I was concerned it was overdue. The only issues I had were with my SR and my chirp, which had been silent for about 6 months. I replaced the hook assembly a few weeks before I sent it and taped a huge note to the head telling them not to replace that part. Not much was wrong. Brushes were replaced, rocker arm swapped out for the latest replacement, thorough going-over of everything else. It was $600 plus shipping both ways. There was a hiccup concerning shipping but it was all resolved. If you have lots of hours on your machine and are concerned about worn parts, a spa treatment is a good idea. I echo the suggestion that you have a dealer come to you if you have one close. Mine was gone for two weeks.

Thanks!  My machine is an older one - Ultimate I.  I have used it since 2007 and am the 3rd owner, so don't really know how many quilts have been done on the machine.  Right now it runs fine, but I have to adjust the needle bar height every few times I warm up the machine -- a little drag sometimes.  Fixable, but a bit of a bother.  A few days ago I noticed that my hopping foot has a little movement to it now when doing ruler work.  Never noticed that before.

I had been debating about whether to upgrage to the latest Millie, but decided to keep my current machine since it still works great.  I think a spa treatment will be just the ticket to get it all performing perfectly.  Hope they still service the Ultimate I machines.  :rolleyes: 

Lora:  If you have to adjust the needle bar height frequently, you haven't tightened it enough when you put it back into service.  It shouldn't be pushed out of place unless you hit something solid really hard.  Next time you set it, put more torque to the clamp so it doesn't move so easily.  Jim

Jim, I'm completely lost.  I've never removed the needle bar or touched the torque on it... not even sure how to do that.  All I do is the settings from the back of the machine when I first power up. 

What page in the manual would I find what you are talking about?

Lora:  I think what your'e doing is adjusting the single stitch position, or the needle speed, not adjusting the needle bar height.  Needle bar height adjustment is done inside the sewing head, and involves loosening the clamp on the arm that moves the needle bar up and down, and changing the limits of the needle travel.  I've had some issues with my I/S single stitch, and adjusted it several times in the five years since the I/S was installed.  I haven't had to adjust it for some time now.  If you follow the entire I/S adjustment protocol as outlined in their manual, rather than just the single stitch adjustment, you might be able to get the adjustment to hold for a longer period.  It may be that your needle speed needs to be set first.  Good luck.  Jim   

I would call APQS and ask them for an estimate.  I don't remember being quoted that much.  They do encourage you to buy a box for shipping and I believe that was around $35.  Then there was the shipping charges and for some reason I think it was under $100 both ways.  Definitely worth asking them. 

Dawn Cavanaugh quoted me $1500 over a year ago and said they would contact me if it was going to be more. I have already replaced a lot of the wear items myself so I felt It was a waste of money. I also contacted a dealer to see if they could do it and she said they could service the machines but APQS did not count it as a Spa treatment as APQS can do "more".

If your machine is just experiencing normal wear after lots of use, an APQS Dealer, who has gone through the 4-Day intensive Dealer Maintenance Certification class, should be able to give your machine a Spa Treatment.  If you are having electronic issues, a trip to the APQS Service Department might be necessary.

A Mini Spa would include a thorough cleaning and sanding off any burrs.  It would also include replacing the check spring, pigtails, hook assembly, including the hook finger and timing your machine, motor brushes, wave washers for the thread cutter, and packing fresh grease in the gear box.  Call your Dealer.  They should have a set price for parts and labor. There will also be a charge for mileage, unless you deliver the machine to their studio. 

A Deluxe Spa would include the above, plus replacing the needle bar, needle bar bushings and rocker assembly.  Your Dealer should have a price for this service also.  

The price for parts is $150 to $200 more if you have the large M bobbin, and both should be much less than the quote you received from the Service Department. 

• 2 years later...