My latest t-shirt quilt

Although I am working on the last one of the season - I hope...and I really, really, don't like making t-shirt quilts...I thought this one turned out pretty good for a numbers challenged quilter, if I must say so myself...oh and I'm also not a photographer. My celings are lower than the quilt is long :D

post--1346189811043_thumb.jpg

This young lady didn't want her school colors, she wanted something fun and bright. I believe this quilt is a surprise for her, but her mom knows what she likes and she said lime green!! That what she got. There are small dots of different colors. Here is a close up,

I used Rainbows Citrus Cooler on the top and bottom line lime green on the back. It's pretty darn cute :cool:

post--13461898110665_thumb.jpg

trust me, you would be better off figuring it out for yourself :D Let me see....the blocks are cut at 14 1/2" then the sashing (green) is 3" x 22" then cut diagonal. The only draw back was the bias cut...had to be very careful not to stretch anything. I think I found out that the length of the sashing needs to be at least 10" longer than this block. I think :o We are talking math here...remember, I hate math.

I'm sure there are a million others out there that are expert piecers that could tell you how to do this better than I can.

Thanks Kenna.....it is for a friend's daughter. Jen was sick the whole time I was trying to get this thing done...then I cut the strips wrong - wonder where my mind was?! Had to drive 70 miles round trip to replace the fabric. And since she is a friend, I feel bad charging her full price, so I'm giving her what I have made up - a "family discount". Probably not making enought money for the pain in the patootie that it was :D

Mary Beth,

Man I would have killed to have the nasty T-Shirt quilts have I have done to be as flat and perfect as this one...my customers were doing them with flannel and a very thick interface....its the way the LQS was teaching it and they were SO heavy I wouldn't have wanted one on my bed let alone putting a small child under it...it would have smashed the little thing.

I also loved the colors on this one...most of those I've seen were done in blacks and navys and so drab.

I usually try to shoot for school colors, but she wanted lime green, so she got it :D

I hear of people making these things with flannel, don't think I would want it in flannel either, to hot. I also, don't like the drab colors I see. My LQS doesn't carry fun colors, they have more floral and kind of country stuff, and not much of it. I need to travel to the south side of the city to get the good stuff.

Two of the LQS here were trying to push the stretchy interfacing for the backs of the t-shirts. It sounds fine, but I use light to med wt, I think it says 911 on the end of the bold - not sure - but it is normal, iron on interfacing. And I get it at JoAnns when it is 50% off, and just buy the entire bolt. I think I have used up 3 bolts and so far so good. No problems and a lot cheaper than the QS stuff.

Mary Beth,

I love that quilt!! I see that you quilted on the t-shirt and it looks great!! I thought it would detract from the print on the shirt, but it really doesn't. (I am such a green horn) LOL

I am going to have my son look at this and see if he would be ok with it now that we know what it would look like. (I posted his t-shirt quilt on the "where have all the pictures gone" topic)

I also like how you have the quilt hung for the photo. How did you do that?

I love doing the T-shirt quilts. My sister and I have a small business out of my home and T-shirt quilts are our biggest requests. We also do the picture memory quilts. Check out our website at WWW.Mountaintopquilts.com. I would send a picture but I am new to this and haven't quite figured that out yet. haha

SandHitch,

You crack me up...my hanging and photography skills are quite lacking. I have a decorative curtain rod on the wall, then I bought some clamps at a hardware type store...it's called Cummins Tools, it is a place that sells cheap tools, etc. I got the box of various size, plastic, clamps for $9.00. I took out 6 or 8 big ones that fit over the rod, then gave the rest to DH. Not sure it is the best system, but it works so far. I may need to start haning the quilt sideways then turn the camera...my ceilings are not high enough evidently.

I always quilt over the t-shirt, I think it would leave too much spacing between quilting if you didn't. I also always used a colored thread, never the mono-poly, although I don't have anything against it, just too much work to get it to stitch, so I don't use it.

You can see more of my t-shirt quilts on my webshots. I don't take pics of all of them, because you've seen one, you've seen 'em all :P

Mary Beth,

I have had problems with the monopoly in my regular sewing machine, so I was leary of it in the quilting machine. I was also worried that if the tshirt isn't quilted down, what would become of it over time. I used a shirt interfacing (I think that is what is was called anyway) to stabilize the tshirt blocks, but even that may not keep the shirt material from stretching. I want my son to be able to use it without fear of that problem.

I am going to get me some stuff to properly hang my finished quilts up for photographing. I think I have a left over long curtain rod that might work well for that, but how is that suspended from the ceiling, in your ceiling track system? Sorry for the twenty questions!!

Kathy,

No problem! Actually, the curtin rod came with brackets the you use screws and attach it to the wall. Then the rod sits in the groove. If you already have the rod, you can probably pick the brackets up at Wal-Mart or a hardware store. We attached it in studs, on the wall, as high up as we could and still be able to use the clamps.

Mary BEth that quilt is just tooooo cute. I love the colors and I really like the quilting you did on it. I am amazed you were able to get this done with also being a very loving mom to Jen during this time. You are amazing.

Thanks Mary. It is a little different. I have seen them on other web sites...don't know it you can make enough money off of them for as much of a pain as they are, but it was fun. Usually my customers just pick the straight setting...so it was fun to get to do this one again.

Archived