Can't get tension adjusted

cjtinkle

Hi everyone, my 2010 Millennium has sat untouched for a bit over a year after the death of my son.  I finally decided I was ready to quilt again, and have spent the past week doing cleanup and maintenance.   No matter what I do, my bobbin thread is peaking through to the top.  Please keep in mind I've owned this machine for 8 years and am pretty comfortable with it and its quirks.

I have rethreaded multiple times, tried different threads, changed needles (using a 4.0), change needle position slightly to the right and left. 

I've made certain that all of my thread guides are in the correct position, nothing is catching on them, and my tension spring is at 11 o'clock as well.  I cleaned thoroughly between the tension disks with rubbing alcohol.

After cleaning under the bobbin case finger and no luck, I opened a new bobbin case, and new bobbins as well.  I doused out the bobbin area with WD 40 with the machine on high speed, blew it out with the compressor, and re-oiled.

I checked the hook shaft for play, there is none.

I made sure my hopping foot was level and at the correct height.

I can loosen my upper tension til there is nothing left to loosen, and tighten the bobbin tension until I can't even get it to drop with the drop test from a hard shake, and STILL the bobbin is peaking to the top, and on sharp curves, it's pulling to the top.  This makes no sense.

I can turn around and loosen the bobbin tension back to normal (I adjust mine like Jamie Wallen, that's always been perfect) and tighten the upper thread, and it pretty much looks the same, other than the stitches are looser.

What can I possible be overlooking?  I am so frustrated, I've spent a week trying to sort the tension out.  I sent an email to support last night, what happened to 24/7 support?  I called this morning, and they're closed.

Sorry to be so grumpy.  It's not like me to need help with a sewing machine... ever.  LOL

It might be the size of needle you are using. A large needle leave a large hole for the thread to come up through.  Also, do you have your fabric sandwich on the machine too tight? I've found that if you have it loose like when hand quilting, the thread gets a better chance of staying in the middle of the sandwich instead of staying on top or bottom.

Hj,

Not an expert...what kind of bobbins are you using?  Do you wind them yourself?  are you using the magnetic ones?  maybe if you are using the magnetic ones...they got their magnetism messed up?  I was having problems with my tension....turns out...my little spring in the bobbin case had sprung...but you said you put in a new bobbin case ...so probably not the problem...hope you figure it out and if you do...please let us know....Sorry to hear about your son.....Lin

Hi, I'm no expert---not by a long shot, but I might check the batting and whether the scrim is on the bottom of the quilt sandwich--this has caused me some problems in the past.  Other than that you have already gone thru my check list when I have problems.  But, please let us know what solution you find as I will add that to my list of things to check in the future.                                                                                             Sharon

How old is the fabric?   It could be the fabric has a loose weave.  Check how taunt you have the sandwich rolled.  You may need a new upper tension spring.  Have your tried different bobbins or did the bobbin check.  Just a few questions going through my head.

ummm...still thinking.....have you taken out your manual....and followed the threading instructions?  interestingly that is what I have done a few times when I was having tension problems although I was positive that I had threaded it right...one time....the first thread guide over the cone of thread was out of whack, another time...for some reason, the thread was looped in a strange manner in the three holed thread guide...no idea of how that happened, oh and sometimes, near the front of the machine....the thread has come out of one of the hook guides.....now I always check to see if the spring in the tension assembly actually moves when I pull on the needle thread....that has been the problem a few times....as it seems that somehow...the top tension is too tight maybe check each place the thread goes through to see where there might be too much tension....I can't think of why the bobbin thread would be too loose if the bobbin case and bobbin are new......

Yes.  I took the maintenance class in Iowa when I bought my machine, along with my husband.  We've both gone over the machine with a fine tooth comb.  The fact that regardless of tension adjustments, the bobbin thread is always showing on top, indicates to me that there's a mechanical issue somewhere.

Remove the entire upper tension assembly.  Take it apart, clean it, reassemble, check to see that the take-up spring is moving properly, make sure there is adequate spring tension on it.  Put it back on the machine, adjust the check spring position, re-thread, and give it a try.  Jim

It's not entirely resolved.  I am stuck with using matching thread top and and bobbin, or I still see bobbin thread on top.  I loosened the screw in the tension so that the take up spring wasn't pulling quite so tightly, and that helped... some.  I'll finish the quilt I have loaded and work on it some more.

Archived