Good news sort of

I got a customer quilt. YEAH for me. It is a very unusual quilt, and the guy wants it custom quilted so it looks like a giant butterfly. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out the easiest way to do this. I guess I will try to draw out the butterfly on freezer paper, use chalk to trace around it so it's symmetrical, then use fill stitches and stuff to fill it in. Does this sound like it will work?

The quilt itself is just a bunch of huge squares in different colors of blue with some pictures in the center in a strip(that's supposed to be the butterfly's body). I would post a picture, but I can't take pictures of it because the photos are of his kids and he doesn't want it anywhere on the internet.:(

Pam Clark did a butterfly quilt design simiular to what you are thinking to demonstrate her background frenzy dvd. She divided her quilt (within the butterfly outline on the quilt top)into sections then did different backround fills within each section. Turned out really nice.

Joann

Originally posted by chickenscratch

Does anybody know if there might be a picture of that Pam Clark quilt anywhere on the internet? I'd like to see what she did.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Hi Teresa,

Guess what, Shana, The Google-Meister, found the Pam Clarke butterfly pattern you are looking for! :) Here's the link to the big picture, and below is the link to the Background Frenzy Video w/Stain glass Butterfly pattern.

http://www.homestitches.com/images/Patterns/Stainglass_butterfly.gif

http://www.constantinequilts.com/pam_clarke.htm

Yup that's it but in the dvd she doesn't have different fabrics, it is one solid piece of fabric that she uses a sharpie marker to trace the pattern onto the fabric then she loads up her longarm and quilts the different background fills in the different sections (leaves, basic meandering, loops, stars, swirls, peacock meandering or paisly as some call it, clamshells, hearts, rocks or pepples, yarn balls, wavy lines, crosshatching etc...) basically anything that you could use as a background fill could be used to fill up the sections. Then she took that biased 1/4" stuff that people use for those stain glass windows quilts and sewed that over the sharpie lines.

She says it's a nice way to 1)practice your background fills and 2)have a sampler to show your customers of the fills that you can do.

Theresa, if you use the same designs that you put in your sampler you will be good to go ;)

Joann

Yay Teresa!!!! Congrats on this new challenge!

IMHO after you mark the butterfly, do not treat it as a sampler. Doing a different design in each area would detract from the pictures, which I assume are the focus of the top. May I suggest a pretty, swirly design--the same in each section of the wings--or maybe similar designs placed symetrically on each side--flowing feathery swirls and double vines or something. And make the density of stitching the same in each section. You have so many options--will you use a variegated thread? That might be beautiful.

It sounds really interesting--be sure to post a pic of the back so we can see the work! The outside of the butterfly may need a calmer (?) design to focus attention on the center. Maybe all clouds or that horizontal water effect--see Darlene's Pocket guides for an example. Or maybe a gentle "wind" design.

I am tickled for you and can't wait to see what you decide--keep us posted!

Linda Rech

Olympia Wa

Thanks Shana. I took a look at the picture. I don't think that's exactly what I'm doing, but I'll figure it out.

Norece, I will try to get my son to take a picture this afternoon.

I found some butterfly coloring book pictures. I think I'll base the butterfly on one of those, then fill in the designs on the wings using different patterns: paisley, swirls, wavy lines, etc. Then I'm either going to McTavish or crosshatch the background behind the butterfly. The thing I'm having the hardest time with is how to not stitch on the pictures. I can stitch around the edges of each one, but some of them are 8 x 10. I can't leave that much unquilted, even with poly batting. ??????

Teresa - Sounds very challenging but this could be an opportunity for your quilting to get some attention. Do you think maybe once you get the quilt done, you could take some pictures of it and blur our the photos, show the photos to the guy and see if he will agree to let you post it on the internet with the photos blurred so that you can showcase your quilting? Maybe offer him free batting or a small discount to make it worth his while? In the least, maybe he would agree to letting you post a picture of the back of the quilt if the quilting shows and there are no photos.

If he does, be sure to get a release from him that states that it's ok to post the pictures.

Good luck with it and congratulatons on getting such a fun project.

Wow...way to go.

Have you figured out how you are going to do this?....if you can't show us a picture of the front....I agree the back would be great to see.

Is this a quilt that will be used or just a wallhanging....Some of the poly batt have a stitch length of up to 10 inches, they are bit tighter woven and have some needle punch and scrim to them. Would that help in the open areas.

If all else happens maybe you can take few backtack in the larger areas that are spaced evenly apart in the background areas so they don't effecting the images.... And like Norece mentioned you might have to redirect him a bit to get pleasing results...

Theresa... why is your site "temporarily unavailable"? I wanted to see your picks if you have one of this quilt yet. Pooh. Now I'll have to wait till you get your site "available" again.

Shana and Carol, I'd love to meet you gals in Coos Bay or Reedsport or Bandon, as my sis lives in Coos Bay. Wouldn't that be fun?! Let me know if you do get together, ok?

Archived