NQR - Wildlife

I was sitting out on the deck relaxing when "Harry" the heron decided to pay a visit. He doesn't usually come this far into the yard, so I just had to go get my camera. The neighbors across the lake feed him and he goes up on their deck, so I guess he is getting brave and looking for more handouts. :D

post--13461898212173_thumb.jpg

He is cute! I love the name you or your neighbors gave him. I have Bob, the spotted wood owl. But, I haven't seen or heard him in a week or so...maybe the mice at night dried up...so to speak...so he has moved to better hunting grounds.

It's eat or be eaten!.....Seriously, I toss the fish back when we go fishing. Catch & release. Anyway, your Heron visitor is cool. We have Deer coming through our yard on a regular basis, there is a Doe & her newborn fawn in the woods just past our house. That is just soooo cool. Lots of Coyotes traffic and even a black bear come through here.

We have a Weasel under the house (we live in a modular Home and have no basement) so that keeps the mice population down.

The Coyotes scare me a bit though cause I have my two small dogs going outside all the time and I have to keep an eye on them at night time. But I love living in the North Country. It's peaceful.......just wish I had a klake in my back yard. That is really cool.

Hi Patty;

Didn't catch you anywhere to say "good-bye" at MQS. It was good to see you again and chat a little.

We live on 80 acres in southern Iowa and it is not unusual in the early morning or evening to have deer, turkey, coyote, or whatever come across the field next to the house. We have tons of song birds that we feed - keeps us busy with birdfeeders. We also have lots of hummingbirds this time of year and I just love those little guys. At times it sounds like a hummer airport on our front porch. Nature is sure amazing!

Have a great day!

Sharon.

Patty, thank you for posting your beautiful pictures of such a beautiful bird. I hope you don't mind you inspired me to share my pictures of these very common ones, at least around here. Mr. and Mrs. Mallard had been living in the fenced drainage area behind the house across the cul de sac, but I guess they'd gotten tired of it and went looking for a new house. They actually came right up to me and Mrs. Mallard stepped up on the porch, but I just didn't want ducklings hatching on DH's reclining porch chair, so told them to go away. DS had fun watching them. They were so cute. Eventually a dog saw them and barked a bunch, so they few over our house and away. But what fun they were to watch!

I think it's a good sign if wildlife think your yard or house is peaceful enough for them, don't you? Well, peaceful on the outside, anyway, LOL!!

On June 4th this little 18 inch baby girl followed Siana home...she had only been born maybe 8 hours before so was a little confused on who she should follow. We saw her again today with her Mum and Aunties, she has grown to be about 24 inches tall now at the shoulder so looks like she is getting enough to eat.

post--13461898213523_thumb.jpg

Oh!!!!! how cuuuuuuute!! Thanks for posting this, Bonnie. She is soooo beautiful! How sweet that she followed Siana home. Siana must be a very calming sort of person. Or maybe she has brown hair with blond hilights, so looks like a deer.....? :D;)

I know Patty, isn't she amazing....Siana got off the school bus and started up the hill and looked back and there she was following about 4 feet behind her. I assume the bus scared her out of hiding and Siana was the first thing she saw and with her eyes not totally focused yet she followed her not realizing she was making a booboo. When Mum came up to the house to get her the poor little thing got one heck of a talking to. Deer sound very much like sheep when they talk to their young and Siana said she could hear her yelling from about 75 feet away.

Her Mum and auntie were born in our back yard last year, so this year we have this little one, her Mum, Mum's twin, Grandma and Auntie from the year before...And towards fall we have a reunion of about 25 - 30 who winter on the bottom pasture. I love to watch the wild life, and enjoy these photos as well.

And yes Siana does have fawn colored hair.....:P

Archived