wannabee here

Hi--

I have been lurking for a while, but have decided to take the plunge and become visable! I finally got to MQA but didn't have enough time to see it all--how breathtaking, so much to see and do. I did get to test drive a couple of machines, HQ and then Lenni and George. I am hooked, no doubt about it.

I have sewn forever, used to teach home econ (I know, name is long gone) and have a passionate love of fibers. My mom made all of our clothes growing up, and has made some quilts. My paternal grandmother ALWAYS had a quilt in the frame. I want to go one step further, and do long arm quilting.

Currently, I am working on a project my mom started some 50 yrs ago, appliquing Sun bonnet Sue blocks from material left over from dresses for me and my sis. I am going to add sashing and not sure where we are going from there.

I will need to start on the less expensive end with machines unless I win the lottery, although I have lots of space.

I feel like I know you wonderful quilters already--I have learned so much here already!

I am in chillicothe, MO--anybody close? Mary Beth, I have 2 dd's in KC, so I am there pretty often. They both live north of the river.

Hope to get to know you all better!

rosalee

Hey Rosalee,

We are almost neighbors. I live at the end of North Oak and Cookingham. Next time you are coming to see your daughters give me a shout and we will meet.

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to live and learn...but if you've been lurking you already know that.

Mary Beth

thanks ladies, I do appreciate the welcome. Mary Beth, I will actually be in KC Fri and Sat, I am going to be hanging out at the JoAnns on Barry in the Viking dept, seeing if I can work there part time. I am job hunting, although I wish I had an enabler to let me stay home and play! (ok, doesn't hurt to dream a little!) I would love to meet up! And congratulations on your dgd--I have one, she just turned 3 June 1, the light of my life! Emma Grace, and such a gem.

rosalee

Rosalee,

I will be going out of town on Saturday morning, very early, but returning later in the day. On Friday I will be working all day - drat - I hate that...Looks like this weekend is out...but Jeanne may be around. She is north too. I'll email her and tell her to look you up.

Hi Rosalee:

I just got Mary Beth's email. Welcome to the Forum!! I live close to Mary Beth, in the New Mark subdivision. I could meet you on Saturday or later Friday. Are you going to be at Joann's both days? I could come over there or maybe you could come over and play with my machine when you are free! or both. Would you email me and I can set something up with you.

Welcome to the forum, Rosalee. This is a GREAT place to 'hang out'.......not to dry,:P but to have fun...learn....complain........and get support you wouldn't believe from one another. It is just a wonderful place to be...I don't live in MO but I do get down there once in a while, so I hope to meet you one of these days. Again, WELCOME!!!

Rosalee

I don't see this mentioned very often, so I don't know what availability would be, but some people rent out their machines for people to do their own quilt. My DH says not to do, as a machine gets used to a person and visa versa and to rent out would me changes would take place, but I know others do and it helps bring in some $ when quilts are low. Have you tried that?

Pats

Rosealee, keep your eyes open....you can find some really good used machines..there was one in the SHOPPER paper here this week for a 14'

Gammil for $2500.00...I would imagine they appear in your area occasionally. I also see them on these forums' and check with some of the

dealerships. I bought my Millenium in Lee's Summit or thereabouts...you couldn't get any better treatment the world around. We tried every machine we could find...A-1, Nolting, Gammil, APQS, several I can't recall the names of...and kept coming back to this one.

I'd had a short arm/Gammil table for $600.00 from an ad in the paper and it worked great...just keep looking. and good luck....

Thank you so much for the very warm welcome and all the information! I feel like I belong here already, which I appreciate! I have talked to Jeanne (shadows4) and am planning to meet her tomorrow! Also, I am going to go to Country Lane in the morning in Lee's Summit to check out the machines. I was lucky enough to test drive Lenni at MQS, and Marilyn Badger demoed it for me. I also tried George. Today was my first day working at the Viking sewing gallery at JoAnns and I got to test the Mega Quilter--any body have comments about it? I am currently looking for a 'real job' to support me--doing the sewing machines bc of the love--what fun I had today. Until the end of the yr, I was in a job that had become a nightmare, due to the lack of ethics of my supervisor. After 15+ years, it became unbearable. I loved helping the clients, but dealing with the crap was truly about to kill me. It is such a relief to be away from that, and find wonderful people to associate with! Thank you all. (and YES, I am looking for a bargin--hope it finds me soon!)

rosalee

Rosalee,

I don't know a thing about the Mega-Quilter, just my Millie. Go with what you can afford. Are you going to do this for business, or for your self? If for business, are there a lot of quilters in your area? What is the demand for a machine quilter in your area?

By the way, are you moving to the norhtland?? I would think so if you are trying to get a job at Jo-Anns.

Welcome Rosalee. Let us know how your 50 year old project is going. My sister and I recently found a grandmother's flower quilt that our mother made when she was a teenager in the 1930s. I want to quilt it but am not sure if I should use vintage fabric for the backing. Even though my mom used cotton fabrics, they appear to be alot thinner that the cotton we use today. Keep us posted.

Welcome Rosalee! I live in Independence and have owned a couple of APQS machines. I started with the Millennium 4 years ago and sold it last year to one of my best friends (fortunately she loves it, too!). I now have George, and love him, too. Best of both worlds - I can still visit my Millie and quilt the occasional quilt on her - it pays to keep her in the family, so to speak. I have known and worked with the Country Lane folks for several years and can only say good things about them. They have been very helpful, fair, service-oriented, etc. They are friends, too. I hope you can find the machine that will work for you soon. Would enjoy meeting you sometime. Our family lived in Chillicothe for awhile (years ago) and still have friends in the area.

Joann

Independence, MO

Rosalee

Welcome - - I hide all the time but have learned much from this forum. I understand your desire to have any machine that will allow you to be creative and productive with your passion for sewing.....The mega quilter does have it's limitations...BUT....it is also a very inexpensive option to at least start machine quilting. Yes, the throat space is a major limitation but it will not stop you from creating beautiful quilts while you find a better paying job....I would look into it...you can always upgrade when you have the financial resources...and until that day...you will have the opportunity to create and complete works of art while you learn the art of long arm quilting. This forum is the best for learning tricks of the trade and learning from the experiences of others...I say, if it's all you can afford - - go for it.

Hi All,

Just one more time I want to thank you all for the warm welcome. I checked out Country Lane Quilters last Sat morning, and everyone was so helpful and so talented. Then, I met Jeanne (Shadows4) and spent the afternoon at her home. Wow, she not only showed me her studio and set up, she actually gave me lessons and shared lots of information. Did I say she had me using her machine??? What a wonderful new friend, and she has a really nice dh also. Thanks so much, I look forward to meeting more of you in the future!

rosalee

Carol,

You "winter" in the Warrensburg area :o !? I guess it is warmer than Wisconcin, but I always thought folks "wintered" in places like Florida and Arizona ;). You should try out our longarm guild while you are in the area. Carol Wiles of MQS fame lives in Higginsville, not far away from your wintering area.

Mary Beth

Rosalee:

It was really fun to have you come over and play! I hope you had as much fun as I did! Next time you are in town give me a call.

Carol and Joann:

Maybe we can all have a chick day and get together. I vote we go to Mary Beth's house!!!:P:P Just teasing! I have room if you all want to just have fun sewing, or gabbing, but I don't have all the bells and whistles on my machine that Mary Beth does. I have an Ultimate I. It does the job that I need, so I'll keep her. She's been going through an identity crisis lately because I keep renaming her. The last name was Betty Lou, but that didn't last long cos my DH decided to name his GPS Betty Lou. What was Beaver's mom called? From "I Leave It To Beaver". Maybe that's her name. I wear a dress and a pearl necklace when I quilt, so why not?

Archived