more on burying threads

iedquilts

Linda,

when the thread tails are too short for threading, here's what i do: use a size 16-18 machine needle, insert between the top and backing about 1/2 inch away from the thread tails , come up at the tails. Now use a dental floss threader, insert thru the eye, thread the tails thru the loop of threader, pull thru.... voila... the short tails are threaded. pull through.

clear as mud?

ied

You can get them at Walmart in the floss section - I never thought of that before, but makes sense. Mine are blue and they make pulling the floss through my permanent retainer alot easier. Put floss through threader then threader through eye of needle. Ok, never would have used it that way. The orthodontist showed me that trick when I got my retainer permanently installed on my lower bottom teeth.

Joann,

I have one to use for pulling floss under my bridge. It has a straigt end and a loop on the other end. Stick the dental floss through the loop, stick the straight end under my appliance - where a tooth use to be, then pull the loop through and the dental floss is then under the appliance and you can clean your teeth...The Dental Floss Threader looks like heavily waxed dental floss and it is stiff.

This is proabaly TMI...but you asked!!

I've used a crewel embroidery needle with the dental floss threader to bury those tails. It has a bigger eye than the machine needle, so pulling the dental flosser through is much easier! It's really good for those thread tails that are too short.

Pat

AZ:cool: (Really hot today!)

Mille

o.k. I am having the "DUH!" moment too!! :P I also have the permanent

retainer cemented on the upper and lower front 6 teeth, and use this for

flossing - when I do floss that is! (SHhhh - don't tell!)

Yes - they are a bitof stiff plastic and I like mine best when I can get a bit of

a curve to them - never thought of this use! My wire threads always pull-

out too - wanted to buy a really good one. Now I will try these babies! I

have a bunch of them. The dentist always gives me a pack or two when I

go there, and they last for ever! Great idea - I love this forum!

Guest Linda S

I use self-threading needles. The ones with the little V at the top where you can poink the thread (technical term) down into the V without any special threader. If your threads are too short, you can do as above -- put the needle half-way into the quilt, then poink (remember technical term) :P your thread ends into the top of the needle and pull through!

Linda

Archived