Pre-Made Comforter

Mary Beth

I hate these phone calls...

A lady called who was refered to me by my binder lady...

bought a comforter and the "quilting was not substantial". She would like to talk to me about adding some quilting. I don't wan to do this job, because I have a baaaad feeling about it.

I'm thinking I will need to take the comforter apart and redo the whole stinking thing :) I'm also thinking I will tell her no...and I need to remember that I don't need an excuse. Do ya'all think that is what I need to do...take it apart I mean??

If you have a bad feeling abou it then by all means say NO.

I have turned several jobs away because I was not comfortable with what the customer wanted me to do. You don't need to go into details as to why just tell her that you don't do that type of quilting or re-quilting.

Plus most comforters don't have batting within them they have fiberfil which would be more difficult to do on our machines without having to raise the hopping foot. Then if you end up taking it completely apart putting in a traditional batting the comforter would no longer have the extra loft apperance to it and would be a quilt and not a comforter after it would be finished and also would require a binding added to it.

If I were you Mary Beth I would just say NO!! :)

Joann

Oh, Joann is so correct....It would cost her less to have you start with fresh material than to have you fiddle----with this and TRY to make it something she will like and accept as a good job. The more you have to make it work the less its going to. I think there are times we just have to walk away and not look back. ;)

Turn it down. I have .

Not worth the trouble and I don't want to start something that escalates.

Comforters are comforters and quilts are quilts. Very different.

You gotta do what you think is right but you should by all means listen to yourself and trust.

Mary Beth, Is it one of those cheapy-cheesey comforters made with 'less than quality' fabric and batting/fiberfill? If so, yuck-o. :( If she really wants it done, perhaps you could make a compromise? Maybe meet her in the middle? It might not be worth all the time and work involved, so I'm not sure this is a good idea, but you could suggest that she take the whole thing apart (herself) first before giving it to you to quilt back together again. Just a thought... I have a hunch she won't want to be ripping and cutting that comforter herself.

And, the plus side of this is you could give her an opportunity to see photos and samples of the beautiful QUILTS you have done and perhaps she might get inspired and become a quilting customer in the future? It's possible......stranger things have happend.

I have tackled this twice. I did not take the comforter apart. I pinned the top edge to the take up roller. Then I draped the rest of it over the quilt back roller and clamped it in place with woodworking clamps. I raised the hopping foot. This was not fun but it worked. If you do it, charge accordingly!

Cathy Kirk

Quilting Cowgirl

Cary, NC

I've seen a variety of pre-made quilts in the market place. Some have been pieced using weak thread, some are puffy, some are flat, etc. Fabric, piecing and batting can certainly vary.

What if you agree to look at the project in person and then decide? Maybe it's workable...maybe (probably) not. If it's a cheaply made piece, maybe the owner won't want to put too much more money into "fixing" it. The worse the problems, the more expensive the fix. Exactly what is wanted might not be as bad as you imagine.

A flat "no way" might discourage future referrals. Explaining issues and potential outcomes to a possible client might enforce an idea that you're the person to come to because you know what you're doing.

It's just a thought. I'd go with your gut after getting more information.

I agree. JUST SAY NO!!! If she wants something with more quilting, then she wants a quilt...not a comforter. If she doesn't want you to make her a quilt I hear they sell quilts in most big stores. Of course if she really wants something of quality she'll have a quilt custom made by somebody who knows about quilts, like you Mary Beth. Go with your gut feeling, that's why we have them...to warn us of impending trouble.

Archived