Is there a secret to servicing/cleaning the bobbin...

Ritathequilter

Hi

I'm hoping someone has the secret to cleaning and servicing the bobbin area. I've problems with both my back and knees so cleaning the bobbin is a big deal for me. There's no light in that area either so trying to see what may be caught in the bobbin is almost impossible without a flash light.

I'm also tall so crawling under the machine is no fun. Just wondering how you all deal with the bobbin area. I was thinking that I should look for a little stool with wheels under it...perhaps one that I can adjust the height on.

Any helpful tips would truly be appreciated!

Rita

I use Mary Beth's excellent advice to sit on a chair, too. And, here's another idea, Rita. I have one of those "miners headlamps" that I use when walking my dogs in the dark hours. It is basically a bright flashlight with straps to adjust around your head. Dog mushers use them a lot up here when mushing their dogs down the trail. I got mine at a sporting goods store. I have one by my longarm to keep nearby so I can plop it on my head when I need extra light and keep my two hands free at the same time. :)

OK Shana...I had to laugh at that, too, although I own 3 of them. I have used them from dog mushing to setting up a tent after dark to....well wait till you get this little picture...I learned NOT to leave it turned on when stepping out of the tent in the middle of the night to pee. As you look down to see what you are doing, you now have put a spot light just where it shouldn't be...if you know what I mean :) It seems that when one person (especially women) hears the tent zipper and velcro opening, it is an instant reflex to also get up to pee. We woke up everyone in camp giggling on one trip a few years ago. So, now when you don your head lamps...I know you will think of me:)

BTW, I have purchased mine in REI but there is also a mail order catalog called Camp More at a discount prices. Cabelas also sells them.

LOL!! :P You are funny! All I can say is "It's a good thing I don't have a web cam (LAM CAM) in my quilt room" -- you all would be in for real a good giggle. ;) And, yup, I'll think of you, Sandy, next time I plop it on my head. (I used it once when I had to rip some stitches out of the quilt...helped me to really see great!) My eyeballs are starting to go and I think I'll need reading granny glasses soon. I used to be able to read fine print no problem, but now...ugh!

I use a small rolling seat that you can buy at any automotive store or in the automotive department at Walmart or K-mart. I love the miners hat idea, where can you buy one of those?

I recently changed my email address and now don't get my daily apqs posts. I changed my email address on my profile but still don't get the daily posts. Can anyone help me figure out how to get my daily posts back?

Thanks

Barb

I like the miners hat idea too...only here we call them coon hunter's lights :D, not many mines, lots of racoons.

I'm going to get one....but DH will need to be asleep or away from the house when I use it, cause he will never let me live that one down!!

And Shana, we are not laughing at you...we are laughing with ya, kid!!

Originally posted by sewbobby

I use a small rolling seat that you can buy at any automotive store or in the automotive department at Walmart or K-mart. I love the miners hat idea, where can you buy one of those?

I recently changed my email address and now don't get my daily apqs posts. I changed my email address on my profile but still don't get the daily posts. Can anyone help me figure out how to get my daily posts back?

Thanks

Barb

Hi Barb, you can get these miners' headlamp / flashlight thingys at a sporting goods store. You can also order on line through the big stores like Cabelas or Sportsmans warehouse, etc.

Regarding your daily APQS emails, I don't know how to help you. Perhaps you can send an email to the APQS techno-dude extraordinairre ... (I think his name is Todd). He can get you fixed back again, I'm sure. :)

Good luck!

Hey Shana,

Thanks for the idea on the miner's headlamp. I was walking my dogs in the morning, but remembering what you had said. In the winter time, it's usually dark when I get home to walk them, and handling 2 leads, potty bags and a flashlight is difficult at best. That headlamp idea would be great! Think I could teach the dogs to wear one too? Dream on, that'd be the same time they learn to stay out of mud puddles, and wipe their feet before they come into the house.

Beth

I can't take credit for the miner's headlamp. I think I read a while back on this chat that Cathey (Catsliger) mentioned a miner's headlamp and that got me to thinking...hey I could use my headlamp when I need extra light aimed around the longarm. :) I used it to rip stitches from the quilt. It is a great for hands-free light to aim right where you need it.

I keep a small table lamp under my machine. I just turn it on when I need to get under there and clean out the bobbin area. I put it under there mainly so I could check the backing for any problems, but found it very handy for working on the bobbin area.

I'd probably forget I had the miner's light on and answer the door with it on. Or walk out the front door to go get the mail still wearing it. My neighbors already think I'm a bit strange.

Phyllis

• 3 weeks later...

Archived