Nifty "odd" tool that works to pull threads in quilt

You know when you break your thread in the middle of quilting and the first thing you say is "Oh, JOY!" (or something similar to those words...--insert your choice of expletive here-- ;)). So, as you know, you can't leave this broken thread in the quilt or it will unravel...

A fellow quilter showed me this a couple of years ago. She uses this "tool" to pull quilting threads out (not clip, just pull) until it's long enough to knot and bury so you can start quilting again. It has a pointy hook on each end that easily reaches under the thread without breaking it. (I bought mine from ebay about a year ago and just tried it this weekend).

It's one of these and it works great!! :) They are dental picks. I bought these in a pack of 4 for really cheap (under $10 for all four).

Does anyone else use this? Or do you have other odd (non traditional) quilting tools you use to make life easier? :D Just thought I'd share......

post--13461898308792_thumb.jpg

Yes! They are dental picks. Some are really pointy and some have duller hooks (not so sharp) so you don't damage the fabric. It's a variety pack of 4 with different types of hooks and points. Very cool, me thinks! ;)

Mary Beth, if you decide to get some, be sure to mark them with pink nail polish and put them in your "secret hiding spot in the ceiling" so DH can't ever find (e.g. borrow) them. LOL!

Oh guess what??? Here's another thing the dental pick does...Yesterday, I used one that has the real sharp pointy thing to pick out a tiny piece of thread that was tightly wrapped in a nice little knot around my bobbin shuttle (the little thingy that the bobbin sits in) and I was able to wriggle in there and get it out.

Here's non-traditional for you Shana--- I use cookie cutters dipped in Miracle Chalk powder to mark hearts, puppies, pumpkins, etc on a top. Works great for borders with a meander in between. I can't draw a symetrical heart at all, but I can do it with my "tool"!! I shop after-holiday sales and have a nice collection--shamrocks, moon and stars, cats, holly-- whatever you can find. They are easier to find in my shop than a stencil--all stored in a plastic bin!

Linda R

I used Glad Press'n Seal on top of my quilt when I want to audition a pattern.........it sticks and peels right off......doesn't move. If I want a motif I will trace it on the press'n seal and press it in place and stitch over it.......you can peel it off but I am very careful to pick it out by the stitching.

Thanks Shana! And my mother-in-law uses those things all the time. She does flower arrangements, and I sat and watched her use them "how many times?...and never thought I could use them for quilting...." dumb dumb dumb me.

What we ladies learn here is amazing.....

Archived