ebay tops?

Have any of you purchased one of those 'new quilt tops' on Ebay? I think the seller is "Quilts at Home", "Vanias", and the others are marketed as 'made in India'. I am wondering about getting a couple for practice especially the applique as there are large areas of white to quilt in. Is the fabric very very thin? Will it fall apart when it is put on the rollers and pulled tight? ??? I have purchased some vintage tops from private sellers that were quite nice.

Thanks,

Hi,

I have purchased some "quilts" from EBay and the ones that I have bought were from India and maybe China. They do not hold up to several washings. But, they have made very nice quilts to have around for the floor and for the dogs. So, does that help....

Sue:o;):(

Look up 123Jarret, all he does is make log cabins but it is quilt shop quality fabric and he does a really good job.... I have purchased a couple of his in the last couple of years and they have held up to who I gave them to. I think I paid in between 50 and 60 for a double size.

Hi Jeanette, I actually have purchased some tops off of ebay, mostly to see the quality and workmanship. I make quilts to sell and wanted to see what my competition was. I was most interested in how they could be made so inexpensively. Most cost less than my cost for fabric alone. I think 2 or 3 came from Vanias. If I remember right they are a pleasant company to work with, ship promptly,and answer correspondence in a reasonable time. However the fabric is thin, on at least one the colors were much duller than I expected, it looked old, and the workman ship was not up to my standards. I expect seams or points to match and the fabric to be of a decent quality, at least in the quilts I make. This is generally not the case on the quilts listed in Ebay. I'm sure that there is an exception or two, but on the whole I think these are inferior tops that are mass produced and shipped in from overseas. The ones I have will be used for practice quilting a design that I not yet comfortable with. If you're looking for a top with some integrity look for the listings that state "made by me ,in my home". At least you'll be keeping a fellow quilter quilting. Just my two cents. DB

I too have purchased some tops on e-bay. Some of the older antique's are georgous. Especially to quilt up and have hanging around the house for "show" only!! But, they'll cost ya!! But, well worth it.

Stay Clear of seller: lctyra, says all handcrafted by Lori Christine.

Her tops smell like smoke REALLY REALLY BAD, and I think my dog could have sewn a straighter seam than she did.

I think you get what you pay for, and unless they say "quilt shop quality material" I think your getting the walmart, or old old fabric from a 5 and dime store. LOL...

Just my opinion.

OK, I've never purchased quilts online, so I may not be the best to ask, but....

I have an account with ETSY (although I have not used it yet). I was looking at some of the quilts they have listed there for sale (everything is supposed to be made by the seller). A couple of places there have 'quilts' that are listed as cotton backing and front; polyester batting; machine quilted; and binding applied by hand. They are actually the prequilted panels you buy from Walmart and have binding sewed around the edges!

I know because my daughter's brownie troop (many years ago) made the exact same ones for the nursery at my church for a service project!

They are selling these between 35 and 75 dollars! While the information did not 'lie' it wasn't the whole truth either! I guess that buyer beware thingy applies on the internet big time!

I bought a Vanias quilt for practice. The workmanship was great, good points, strong seams and good stitch length in the piecing. The fabric is ickky though but hey, it's for practice.;)

The fabric is old stuff, I mean like at least 10 years old but it was clean and had no smell. You can't beat the price, I think I only paid $35 for the king size I bought. And yes, muslin is cheaper but I need to practice around seams and use patterns.

I also have bought quilt tops on e-bay from elmo123 and quilts at home. I think elmos123 quilt tops are much better and more precise points,and heavier fabrics. More up to date colors.Just better all the way around.

Carol Giar :P

West Virginia

Ultimate II formerly

Gammill Classic now

I bought a small table runner (top only) and plan to quilt it and bind it as a sample. The fabric is moda and it is very cute and simple. I thought since it is moda fabric the quality is good and I only paid $10 bucks for it. After it's a sample for me to show off I plan to use it on my table (I hope) although several friends saw it and plan to steal it someday. I have not won an auction yet but I've bid on several "made in india" tops. They seem ok, but I'm not convinced the fabric is all that great. Probably not high quality but I intend to use them as practice tops. I have purchased fabric on Ebay several times and I only buy the brand names that I know. So far, so good. The really good Ebayers know their fabrics and the quality, so I feel like I getting the real thing.

I have listed quilts for sale and I always list them as Made in my home in Tennessee, by me.

I have purchased three tops off Ebay. One is so badly pieced it went right to being a chicken pen cover. There was no way I could even take it apart and repiece it because the fabric was already so frayed when it got to me.

Two of the others are also not well pieced, and they smell. I haven't purchased any others off Ebay since that disappointment.

I might check out the sellers you recommend.

I have, however, purchased fabric from Ebay. Actually I lucked out and found a 15 yard bolt of a Pepper Cory print that I needed to match. I got the whole bolt for about $40. I still hvae bunches of it.

Archived