Black "goop" in bobbin area????

belquilt

Hey there... I use my Liberty about 10 hours a month. I went in this morning to fiinsh a quilt and went to change th bobbin. I noticed some black goop behind the bobbin case - like dark black motor goop. (I hope this makes sense). Is there something I need to check or do ??? Is this bad or normal???

I don't oil every day since I don't use it every day. The wicks all have oil on them. I didn't oil the bobbin area this morning.

Let me know what you think. I am getting ready to load another quilt so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.:)

Beth,

The black "goo" is just gear box grease that is sneaking out behind the plug on the machine. Just keep wiping it out as you clean the bobbin case area. Eventually it will stop. In the "old days" the shaft that runs through the machine didn't have the black plug to prevent the oozing, so it was more noticeable. The plug is designed to reduce that.

However, if you notice a great deal coming out, then pry off the black plug (located under and behinde the hook in the bobbin area) and thoroughly clean it. Use a bit of silicone sealant around the edges of the plug and push it on firmly again.

Nothing bad is happening to the machine, so don't worry! Just keep the area clean as you work.

Dawn

Beth:

If I read your post correctly the grease is leaking from the shaft that the hook assy. is attached to. This is a different issue from leaking from the shaft that has the black cap. A little leakage from a new machine that stops is not a problem. It also depends on the volume leaking. If the leakage is excessive (enough to be thrown out on the sides if the housing around the hook assembly). I would suggest you contact Amy and send her pictures of the leakage. I would not worry about a little leakage.

When I install the black cap on older machines or replace them on newer machines I clean the area around the shaft with alcohol and then use super glue to attach them. This is the method used at the factory. They will normally stay in place. I have put many of these on machines and keep them in stock for that purpose.

John

I am so glad this topic came up! Just this afternoon I noticed some goop on my bobbin........all around the plug goop was seriously oozing out and the plug was loose. After reading your post, John, I pried it off, cleaned the entire bobbin area, cleaned out all the goop that was in the plug and put it back on. Well, almost. I need to wait til dh comes home so he can direct me to the Super Glue.

It is ok to run it without the plug being glued on? Right?

It actually sounds much better now! I hope that goop stops oozing out.....very messy!

Hi Susan,

If your machine isn't noisy I wouldn't bother. When you get the air pocket in the gear box and the gears aren't running in the grease all of the time, it will sound growly down by the bobbin area. This is when you should repack it. The gears are a hardend steel and won't get hurt at all if you have this happen and don't get the grease in there right away.

Later,

• 5 months later...

Mine did the same thing, quite one minute growling the next. Call APQS and they will have you put the phone by the bobbin case and they can tell by the sound if you need to repack. They have the grease there that you need and all the directions. I put it off for a long time cause I just knew it was going to be horrible to do and guess what it wasn\'t. They send you more than enough grease to repack. Now Miss Lizzie is purring like a kitten again.

Archived