How Much Thread is 500 Yards?

Donna,

It\'s times like these that make be wish I had paid more attention in math class. LOL:P

15 spools X 500 yds each = 7500 yds.

That is about the equivalent of 2 cones of Superior\'s So Fine thread. That is a lot of thread for a lap-sized quilt. I bet you could do 6 or 7 laps with that much thread.

I just used 11 bobbins on the huge sampler I did.

11 bobbins X 215 yds each = 2,365 ...but that is just the bottom. Double that to get a rough estimate and that is about 5,000 yds of thread.

Now I have a question....what is RA thread?

You win the prize Laurie G (a spool of thread;)) It\'s Robison-Anton Linda. And Linda, even though I paid attention in math, I still flunked! Thanks for the info Beth. Linda, each spool is a different color and I just didn\'t want to run out in the middle of a quilt. But I guess if worse comes to worse, I can always order another spool of the same color. Such a simple solution, why didn\'t I think of that before?

Superior has a great web site that tells you how much thread is on a bobbin of their various threads and how much thread it takes to quilt different sizes based on how dense the quilting is.

With 500 yards, you could do a medium density lap quilt or a lightly quilted single - double. Lightly quilted = meandering with loops - around 4" apart.

Archived