Base Expander-which one to buy?

I have the Ruler Mate that Donita Reeves sells and love it. The top covers the area behind the needle between the thread cutter and the back of the needle, something the base expander I bought from APQS didn't do. I'm not sure if that problem has been fixed or not, but it caused all kinds of havoc with my rulers. The Ruler Mate screws on, as opposed to sliding on; the edges are bevelled and slide easily under your clamps if they are raised just slightly. I leave mine on all the time, removing it only to clean under it. I guess you can tell which one I prefer.:)

Well, I haven't seen the ruler mate. But I do have the APQS Harley base. I got mine in May. Fits snuggly, easy to put on and off.

I have had no problem with rulers and feel that the base gives good support on both sides of the needle.

Maybe you could find someone in your area that has one of these and you could try it.

Charlene

I have the Hartley base, and in fact purchased the newer, larger one at MQS this year. I have the original one that I purchased, that is a little smaller than the new style. I would be willing to sell the used one to you if you are interested. You can contact me privately at prairiehousequilting@msn.com if you are interested. Teresa

I use both bases for different reasons. If you use the Micro-Drive, you NEED the Hartley Base that is wider on the right side so you have the space to rest the sides of your hands when outlining applique. The Ruler Mate just isn't wide enough for that.

On the other hand, if I have a LOT of SID to do, than I use the Ruler Mate. It's worth the extra 5 minutes it takes to screw it on. It's absolutely flat, so there are no ruler hang ups. I have the older style that isn't filled in around the throat plate and cutter, so can't comment on the newer style.

I do NOT leave my base on all the time as it just adds extra friction when I'm doing freehand quilting. I want my machine as free-wheeling as possible, so don't need or want any extra "drag". I've even used a teflon sheet taped to the top of the Ruler Mate to make the machine glide more smoothly when the base is on.

My husband designed and made mine. I love it!!! It's extra large so it works really well with rulers and templates of all kinds ans sizes. It's 20 inches wide and 10 inches deep made from plexiglass. I can slide it off and on easily as I need it. I've tried the Hartley fence base and much prefer my larger one. I keep trying to get him to make and sell them. jeri

Thanks to all of you for your input! I'm somewhat new to this forum. Have only posted twice. Mostly I just read everything you all talk about and it really helps.

Jeri:

I'd be really interested in how your husband made one for your machine. I had my brother take a look-he's pretty handy-and he said I should just buy one. But he was interested in making the plexiglass cut-outs for the shapes. But I do need to get the base plate first.

Thanks, Soozieque

Soozie, I don't see your e-mail posted. E-mail me and I will send you some photos etc. I haven't had much luck posting photos here. It might be tomorrow as my DH and I have a "play" day planned out on the lake, just depends on if the weather clears up. jeri

Archived