Superior's Masterpiece Prewound Bobbins

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=9091&page=1#pid79446

Hi Georgene,

I had this same question not long ago. Try the link I attached. I had the majority confirm that it doesn\'t work well. I couldn\'t get it to work for quilting to save my life. Some do use it.

I personally would use it for tiny stuff but for quilting I\'d rather not . Although like I said some do. Superior Thread is clear though that it is made for piecing and the colors are wonderful but I will stick to my So Fine which is just wonderful I think.

As you will see some stated they had no problems at all but hey I go with the odds and you will find most do have trouble with it. With that being said I love the colors. Keep in mind that just because someone manages to get a quilt done using it doesn\'t mean it is good for quilting. Some state the thread broke after a few uses. So if you did use it you would want it to be in tight areas for dense quilting if you get it to work that is. It\'s what happens after the quilting that matters Most in my opinion. Something to think about.

I even quilt fabric for my dog kennels and I use so fine. They get washed alot and on those I used finer threads the thread broke and didn\'t hold up to the unrealistic abuse I put them thru but by so find quilts are still kicking just fine.

Good luck in what you choose to do and I hope it works for you.

Hugs,

Grammie

Thanks Tammie,

I had done a search for previous discussions, but then noticed (after I had posted) that my search was for only the past week.

Once I changed it to 6 mo or a year, the other posts came up. Thanks again.

I guess I\'ll stick with what I know works. I do like the masterpiece for piecing.

• 1 month later...

I placed an order with Superior for some prewound cotton bobbins for an antique quilt I\'m working on. I talked to Bob, the Thread Guy, and he convinced me to try the Masterpiece prewounds on my Millie. So I ordered a dozen to try.

I have since reordered a gross (144) of them. I love them. they are working just fine.

Georgene, I\'m really new to LA and have only had "Mel" for about 4 mos. However, that said, I\'ve used the Masterpiece cream color prewound with the Signature in the top (pinkish color) with no pokies. I\'ve also used it with some Floriani thread and have had great results.

When I test drove a Millie with Cheryl Uribe, she basically said you can use any color thread/type and have great results. I believe her!!!

I have not used Masterpiece prewounds, but have used Masterpiece (wound it myself onto my aluminum bobbins) very successfully. I have also successfully used other Superior prewounds, so I can only assume that Masterpiece prewounds would work well.

I know, I know, I shouldn\'t assume, but the logic seems sound! ;-)

I was one of those that had trouble with Masterpiece in my Longarm. But I was using it top and bobbin and had major breakage problems. Bob told me at MQX that it really isn\'t made for quilting... I guess in the bobbin there is lots less stress on the thread. I know my DSM just loves it and my piecing is much better. Maybe with masterpiece in the bobbin I could finally get King Tut to work in my machine. Gee, I may have to do a thread order... how awful!

Archived