Where to Start with Circle Lord?

gable428

I would definitely get the swirls template. I also use the featherz a lot and the heart. Another one I use a lot is star dance giant template. I did not get the clam or baptist fan. They looked too motel comforter for me. I also use the circle spiral template. I like the rope border template but turning the quilt to do the borders is a pain!! I think the next one I might get is the zig zag template. The problem with the Ginko (for me anway) is trying to figure out which one to do. Too many choices!!!

Gable,

I purchased my CL a year ago. I started out with the basic and I liked the "Lips" pattern on the King Zig-Zag. Also, I have problems making my feathered wreaths look good, so I purchased the basic, the Featherz, and the King Zig-Zag. I am now building my libraby. I think you just need to look at the patterns and ask yourself which ones do you think you would use. Like for instance, Baptist Fan is pretty popular and of course King Swirls are very, very popluar. Are you looking for background fill, because they have a Clamshell that looks like a good one, (I think it is 18"),and has two different sized of shells (on either end), and the 18" Crosshatch template is very good. Keep in mind that with the king Zig-Zag you can use it for crosshatching also. I haven\'t done it yet, but something is working in my mind :)

Oh my gosh, I just sent you into overload!!

Just go to thier web site and look at the templates and the patterns. Think about what you would use the most and start there. Look at the webshots that are included with the template, if there is one, then you can see how the designs look on the quilts.

Also, keep in mind, these patterns are considered "custom" work. Of course you can charge whatever you want. It doesn\'t matter how easy they are to use or how quick you can get the quilt done by using these templates. Custom is custom. With that in mind it helps when making your purchase.

• 2 months later...

Okay, another question here. You two gave me something to think about, but let me ask you this... what size boards would you recommend? For instance, I like the 7 treasures one and it comes in king or queen. What size would you recommend? Thank you:)

Gable,

Here is my suggestion. I don't know the particulars for each machine, or table, I just know what works on my table. Call Micheal and talk to him. You don't have to buy, and he will not pressure you to buy. Just tell him you have questions and he is always happy to help. I tell you, these people know what customer service is all about. Make a list of questions if you need to and don't be afraid to ask.

I'm glad to see that you do have questions, and I wish I could help you, but I don't want to steer you wrong.

Good Morning Gable --- For your question on size. I always go with the king also because my customers do a lot of large quilts. I don't like to have to move my template once I get it set. For example, what if you were only 3" short at the edge of the quilt? You would have to move the template and then move it back making sure you line everything up correctly to do the next row. This would take to much time and time is money. Here is my list of must haves for king or queen templates:

1.-- Swirls: This template is used about every 6 or 7th quilt. Extremely popular. Easy to do without a stitch regulator.

2.--7 Treasures of Budda: (I have only had this template for about 2 weeks and have already done 7 quilts with it. My customers love it. I already had one customer change the pattern once she saw the 7 treasures)

3. -- Clam Shell: This is a great pattern for a quilt that needs quilting but you don't want to take away from the quilting. This pattern doesn't overpower the quilt with fancy curves and such. Easy to use without a stitch regulator.

4. -- Zig-Zag: This is a great template for crosshatch or for just doing the plain wave or zig-zag. The zig-zag looks great on a Southwestern quilt. Works fast. Many designs can be made with this one. The basic designs can be done without a stitch regulator.

The above templates are considered custom but, I don't charge custom because I did have some pantos that were similar. These templates are so easy and fast for me that I can still make money using my panto prices. If you are just starting out, charge more for these as your customers aren't used to the prices of the pantos. These templates are easier than templates and you can't make a mistake. They look perfect everytime you use them. On a panto, you can get off the lines etc. Yes, they still look good but I would rather have perfect and ease of use.

Smaller templates:

1.-- Featherz: I can make a wreath in under 2 minutes if that long, and they are perfect.

2. -- Ginko: Instead of just the run of the mill motifs you always see on quilts, this one makes a flower. Many variations can be made. Very pretty.

I have to admit, I own most of the templates that CL puts out. I'm hard pressed to pick a favorite. The basic unit comes with so much. The ones I listed are like the whipped cream on a sundae.

I know this post hasn't helped you much but CL users are pretty much addicted to the templates. The ones listed above are the ones I seem to use the most, and I tried to give you the reasons. Good luck.

Well everyone - especially MB - finally ordered my CL.

Gable -

As to your question - you might consider what I did. I spent lots of time looking at everything on the CL site and made an initial wish list. I then spent time on the phone with Michael and he was so helpful. Rather than dealing with all the trouble of selecting only a couple of templates, I picked what I really wanted (by no means not all of what I want) and utilized his payment plan. No interest over 12 months plus a discount if you order enough. Michael is totally non pushy and will ask enough questions to help you select what you want to get going. Of course I will be ordering more, but at least I am now in the loop of CL fans! I am so excited and it should arrive Thursday:D:D

Hope this helps,

Meg:cool:

Yipee!! Meg, you are going to have so much fun with your CL. Thursday! That's quick. You will be so surprised at how easy it is to use. I also have a wish list. I printed out the price list from the CL web site, and color coded my list. One color for the templates I have, and another color for the templates I want. Finially, my lists are starting to look more even....except when Michael comes out with another template...then my well made plans go right out the window :D

Yeah MB - Michael said I would want more before the year was up and all paid for - just have to pay for those as I go along......... :D:D You are too funny but love looking at your quilts - you are so creative with your CL and added designs. The wedding ribbon quilt was just fantastic! Can hardly wait to get going. In the meantime am practicing pantos. 3 weeks with my baby is totally in the newbie category!!

Meg:cool:

Pantos can be difficult. Sometimes it can be frustraiting trying to stay on that line...the good thing is, you don't have to. If you do go off the line a bit, no one knows, I love that.

You are going to have a blast with your CL. And you will be surprised at how there is no practice involved!! I probably shouldn't say that....but honestly, I have never practiced any of the template. I just plop them down and go. Love 'em!!

Thank you, Meg, for the compliment. Not sure that I am that great at quilting...think I should have been a photographer...my pictures always make the quilting look great :)

OK, Meg, I know that you are working on your list, but there are some really cool templates that are not the giants.

I find myself using the circular spiral and the square spiral a lot. You can really wow your customers with these perfect spirals. And they are the small ones, $99 to $129 each, I think. I also use my Starz, Stella and Aztec to make some wonderful designs. The design book steps you right thru them. And they are perfect every time.

I ordered a couple of the big templates and a couple of the smaller templates - so should have a good balance to get started. Loved the Ginko and all that could be done with it. Will have fun experimenting with that one. Checked the shipping and it is scheduled to arrive on time - Thursday!!!

YEAH

Meg

PS - the pantos are looking better but am finding it harder to keep the feathers nice & round from the back of the machine - easier on the front - I guess since you are watching the line (ahead of the line) rather than the flow of the actual pattern, it takes longer to learn - I feel like doing a panto is more a feel issue than follow the line (dot) issue.

Thanks so much. I can't wait to get CL. Hopefully in Aug. I love the BF. I have been working with pantos and just love them. Just did one called "stars and stripes" on a red, white and blue wall handing. Turned out really neat. How often should I change the needle? I've done 4 quilts and also used same needle on my practice piece. It seems to be okay, no snags or pulling threads. I love reading all the posts as I have learned an enormous amount of info and tricks of the trade. I have a fall quilt about ready to do and I was thinking of using 2 colors of thread. Is this fairly easy or should I just use varigated?

I'm really a bad one to ask about needle changes...I usually change when I think about it...like every 3 quilt or so...but I think you are suppose to change them with every quilt.

I have been wondering about you. Glad to see you checked out the CL. I didn't want to send you on a wild goose chase, but knew it would be easier for you to look at it, then for me to try to expalin it in my hillbilly ways :D

You will love the CL. It is totally worth every penny. And don't forget....we will be starting a support group!

Originally posted by Mary Beth

I'm really a bad one to ask about needle changes...I usually change when I think about it...like every 3 quilt or so...but I think you are suppose to change them with every quilt.

I'm even worse than you I change them when they break or get a burr or start to sound funny going through the fabric.....really though they should last longer than 3 quilts as long as they aren't going through an abrasive batting like a thick nasty scratchy poly batting....some are really bad, they break threads faster, but they do dull a needle, or at least I think they do.:cool:

Archived