Bobbin Winder

I have a bobbin winder that I got when I purchase my used Ult. 1 about five years ago. It is on its last leg. I just upgraded my Milli and no longer have the Milli thread winder option so I need to figure out winders options before I am high and dry! I know the new "turbo" winder is available but seems expensive. Any thoughts on what my options are or what you like or don\'t like about your winder. I did see the Gammil bobbin winder at MQS but alas, my suit case was full. Is that a good option?

Thanks for the input.

Donna

Donna, I would contact APQS. It is my understanding that if you upgrade from the model that had the onboard winder to the 08 Millie you should have received the turbowinder with it. I am still waiting on my upgraded Millie, so that better be the case or I will be "high and dry" too! :P

To be honest, I like the way my Bernina winds bobbins better than the on-board winder on my Millie. Even though the bobbins are different, it winds them just fine.

I had an old Singer when I was a kid that made perfect bobbins. I\'ve never found a machine that does it as well. I really hate lopsided bobbins. That\'s probably why I like the pre-wound version.

• 1 month later...

The Gammill bobbin winder is the same as the winder that came with my Ult II. It winds the bobbins fine, thgough it took some adjusting in the beginning. They run around $80 I think on the gammill website. It does seem wrong that that you would get a LA without any way to wind bobbins. :)

I love the Turbow Winder... fast, himself made a little tool to turn it on (or off) easily even with gimpy hands.. I use it all the time.

I was not a fan of the Wrights Side Winder.. way too slow for me, it works in granny gear when I'm running in 4th over.. just personal preference.

RitaR

Donna,

Hi there, I'm zeke. I've had a few machines and each one came with a stand-alone. I also have a turbo bobbin winder and found out that they work well with the smart bobbins and not any of the after market bobbins. I still use my old winder that I have rebuilt many times with new motors. I also found that onboard winders are some what a pain. Only you can make the right decision. Take care..............

Archived