All Batiks Not So Hard

I have ready many posts about how difficult batiks are to quilt. I quilted this King Size comforter that I made for my Grandson\'s bed yesterday and this morning. I was terrified to start it because I had heard so many bad things about batiks EXCEPT from my friend, Phyllis. She said she had not had any problems with them.

The entire quilt, including backing, is batiks.

It has two battings: 80/20 first and QD Wool on top. I wanted it puffy and warm.

I put a panto on it, so all was quilted from behind, of course. I was so nervous that the thread would keep breaking and I would continue punching holes and not know it and then they would never come out, etc.

Here is what actually happened. The thread did not break at all -- ever -- not even once. I made sure I had a full bobbin for each pass of the panto to be sure I wouldn\'t run out.

Even though the quilt is super-puffy, and has lots of seams joining, the foot glided over it effortlessly. I was so pleased about that.

I used an MR 3.5 needle.

Here are some pictures taken right after I unpinned it from the longarm. It\'s not anything special, except that it is all batiks and did not give me any trouble! :D

2213163140102204223S425x425Q85.jpg[/url][/img]

Not sure what is going to show up. Guess I can always edit it, lol.

Hugs,

Another quilters mith proven untrue. I had heard the same thing about batiks and like you was terrified the first time I put one on the machine, but it really wasn\'t any different. Batiks are my favorite fabric and at least half of my stash is batiks (I owned a quilt shop until this past fall), my stash is quite extensive.

Your quilt is beautiful and GS will love it.

Not all batiks are made alike. I\'ve quilted many batik quilts with no problems whatsoever. I know that the batiks were purchased from quilt shops that sell high quality fabrics. I can\'t even guarantee that all of the fabrics were prewashed---some have been from pre-cut kits!

But---I have quilted tops that were made with \'bargain\' batiks. I don\'t know exactly where the purchases were made--but I know that these batiks gave me problems.

Does anyone have any insight on this topic?

Jill Kerekes

Joy, very pretty quilt! :)

Jill, I don\'t have any insight on the bargain batik fabrics. But, I will say that I have quilted several batik quilts (both top and bottom were batik) and I did not have any problems with any quilting or thread breaking or anything. Easy peasy smooth operation! :)

I have just finished quilting a quilt using a batik backing. It is beautiful fabric. I used Rainbows thread top and bottom and had no problem with thread breaking. Only problem is I did about 12" of quilting in a 6" border and decided the design was all wrong for that quilt and unpicked it and quilted it differently. Those holes just won\'t close over. :( I guess I\'ll just have to be more careful next time.

Archived