When using Polyester Thread for Edge to Edge

I sometimes use Isacord thread in my long arm because I have lots of it and it quilts beautifully....and I also use Superior\'s Rainbows.

However, there is one problem when using it for edge to edge designs.......it ravels when the quilt is trimmed for binding. Whereas cotton "sticks" to the fabric, polyester thread is like spring wires and needs taming.

I used the Isacord when doing the CL Swirlz on a customer quilt. I tried to back tack whenever I got to the quilt edge, but apparently some of those backtacks were cut (by the customer) or else I didn\'t back tack in the right location (too far off edge).....or maybe not at all in some places. Anway, my customer told me the quilting thread was coming out....unraveling.

Do any of you have a method for securing the threads on the edges of a quilt to prevent this problem?

P.S. I told my customer to bring the quilt back and I would fix it. I hope I can.

This is what I recommend when a customer has concerns--

Do not trim the quilt before applying the binding. Sounds not quite right, I know. Just mark on the quilt top where the edge of the binding is to be applied--all around the edge. You can measure and square it up using a chalk pencil, a blue marker, or even a permanent marker if you are brave. The line you mark will be hidden by the binding. Sew on the binding by lining the binding edge with the marked line. After the binding is on I then trim to make sure the binding will be full of batting after sewing to the back. No threads should escape from the edges since they are all sewn down and enclosed in the binding. Hope this helps--next time!

I also like the way Isacord works on the Millie in the shop where I work. The tip for binding from ffq-lar was right on. That is the method I use all the time. Never have to worry about the edge not laying flat and all quilting threads are caught before they have a chance to fray. A walking foot is my best friend for binding and most other piecing.

I use Isacord and Isalon all the time... I use pretty small stitches - 13 and backtrack.

After doing a couple of quilts for customers whom I know take ages to add binding, all of them now ask me to overlock the edges of the quilts. I was in a hurry recently and did no trimming and the customer almost sulked until I whizzed the overlocker all round! They have said it makes it so much easier to add the binding - none of these are show quilts but they all finish up very nicely!

LINZI x

Thanks everyone for your great ideas and suggestions.

I want to learn how to put binding on the quilt while it\'s still on the longarm, so I can offer that to my customers. I\'ve seen Linda Taylor do it on her TV Program I watched on QNNTV.com, but I haven\'t tried it yet.

For quilts that I make, it wouldn\'t work for me, because I sew binding on back first and machine stitch the top. I\'m just not into hand work much. But most of my customers do the hand sewing on the back.

Originally posted by Georgene

I sew binding on back first and machine stitch the top. I'm just not into hand work much. But most of my customers do the hand sewing on the back.

Georgene,

I do the same with my personal quilts or utilitarian quilts -- machine stitch the binding on back, flip to the front and machine stitch down with mitered corners. I have done this for years and after lots of practice with this binding technique, I must say that it looks very pretty - it looks great! :) Many times I use a very thin thread in the bobbin (e.g. Bottom Line or I also use a monofilament thread -- it's invisible and no one can see it!)

(PS I'm not much into handwork, either) Have a wonderful day, pretty lady.

Archived