Yet another SID question

Gator

Morning ladies and gents. I'm working on a twin size quilt that I really want to SID and outline the print. I'm better at SID on my DM (I have a SID foot). I can handle the quilt on my DM for the SID but not outlining the print. Do you think it would be ok to SID on the DM then place the quilt on "Gator" for further quilting? I invision placing the entire sandwich on my top roller after SID on DM? I'm using low loft QD cotton batting.

Connie:

I believe you can do it which ever way you want to, though there is something to think about: Will you get as good on SID as you'd like to get on your LA if you decide to do it on your DM all or most of the time? The more practice you get on it, the easier it gets. Also, I'd be afraid that I'd be more likely to get pleats and puckers on the backing on my DM.

As I said, you can do it any way you want, though I'd rather get the practice, if it were me.

Hope it goes well, whichever you decide to do!:)

Connie - do you have an expanded base and rulers for SID on your longarm? And are you comfortable using that setup? I have found that if a quilt is pressed correctly, SID on the longarm can be much less challenging.

Like Jeanne, I would be afraid of a pucker or pleat if the SID gets done (on a DSM) before the quilt is stabilized.

I have done SID (borders only) on my DSM a few times, but always after the quilt was stabilized or completely quilted minus the SID. It worked fine on the baby and lap and even twin size quilts. But I thought that SIDing a double, queen or larger was just more work than I could manage on my DSM and the table it sits on.;)

I do love SID. I think that if a customer takes the time and effort to put borders on, then the quilt deserves the SID treatment and it really emphasizes the frame around the quilt. It is more work, more time and more $$.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Connie...I use to do just this very thing....do all my SID work on my DSM, and then take it to the longarm for the rest of the work...BUT now that I have a stitch regulator, I don 't need to .... its a bit slower than what I could do on the DSM, but its worth the efforts to learn how to do it on the LA.

Now as Linda asked...do you have the extender base for your machine...without that I don't see how anyone could do SID on a LA.... With either the Iddy Biddy, or another ruler I got someplace its been easier to do...also the Applique gizmo that Deloa's sells could work well for SID work. Its whatever fits your hand and whatever works for you to get the job done. AND if you don't like it then yes, go back to the DSM and do it that way. The only thing is when I do SID on my DSM I fabric glue the sandwich and I don't get any puckers or bunching on the back when I go back and forth between the machines.

Thanks, ladies. I do have the base extender and lots of rulers. I can SID on "gator" but I thought that I may be a tad bit faster on the DM since it's a small quilt. The backing for this quilt is fleece which I have SID successfully without puckering (I spray bast the sandwich). Back to work.

Have you tried using monofilament, invisible thread? Get polyester, not nylon. Superior Threads has a really nice polyester thread - won't melt under an iron. This way if you make a bobble it's not nearly so noticeable and you can feel better about practicing on a customer quilt.

Julia

Getting ready to SID on a gift quilt. I'm new at this and have not SIDed yet. I have a base extender and the rulers. Do most of you SID before you fill or do you SID afterwards. Would the monofilament be best to use all of the time for SID or just since I'm new at this?

thanks.

Hi Gator

I have just completed a block quilt that has SID around all the blocks and borders.

I did it using polyester thread on top and bottom line on the backing. I do not yet possess a base extender (am in the process). I'm still a relative newbie and have only done this much SID on a DSM before, but was happy I could cope and decided to just go for it. The early bits are not perfect but it is OK but by the time I finished I found it quite easy and I was able to maintain a good line.

Now it's done, I'm glad I went for it as it's been a great learning exercise and as Shadows4 said, the only way to learn.

I have one question to ask when doing SID. When doing a line that runs from one end of the quilt to another would you

1. just stitch the area between the rollers, do other quilting in that area, then pick up the line when the quilt is advanced.

OR

2. Do the entire line advancing the quilt as you go which would then mean having to load the bottom of the quilt in its entirity as it would be partially stitched together.

I did it the first way but part of me wanted to do it the 2nd way in order to get the truest line but I wasn't happy putting the entire quilt on the roller.

Tell me I did it wrong!!? :D

• 2 weeks later...

While you are discussing SID, tell me how accurate your SID is to begin with. Do you have a minimum of wobbles, or do you compulsively rip out and make it perfect? Are we allowed three wobbles and THEN rip out? :o

I wobble a lot, but it's micro wobbles mostly. If it's a big one, then I rip out--but I may leave one in now and then. Depends on how obvious it is--contrasting thread/fabric, you know.

I use option 1 also. I've tried option 2, and also did all of the SID at first and then rolled the quilt back and worked on the different fills, etc. Big mistake! I'm sure others do that and have no problems, but when I did it I had pleats and puckers on the back and had to take alot out. I've even done it when I'm just a roll or rwo away from the bottom and regretted it. Now I just work my way down.

Originally posted by shadows4

Now I just work my way down.

I understand your complete comment, but don't you find it a pain to change from your Mono threads to your regular threads on each pass. That is the main reason I do all the Mono SID work first and then come back to do the rest.

You know, I'm embarrassed to admit that I've not used mono threads for several years, so I can't answer with any knowledge of that. :cool: I need an icon for embarrassment. Oh, well.....

The last quilt that I had to change threads on (4 colors), had cream as the main thread and some black, and then small areas of green and red. I first used the cream as far as I could, then would change to the black. Then, while I still had the black threaded on the machine, I would advance the quilt and go ahead and stitch all of it. Then I'd change back to the cream and stitch all of that area. Then I'd advance the quilt and stitch the cream, etc. Then, when I was finished, to the end of the quilt, I started doing the green and worked my way back to the top with it. The same way with the red. They were small touches throughout the quilt, so they didn't matter as much in the order that they were done.

I have a separate bobbin case for each different thread type I use so I know they will usually be fine without alot of adjusting. I'm assuming that mono thread has to be adjusted a bit differently, so I be that would be a pain to change frequently.

I just had several bad experiences when I tried to do all of the SID first. It was most likely a personal problem :o but I'm nervous about doing it now.

I have been using mono in the quilt I am currently working on. Like Bonnie, I quilted all of the mono first, then went back with green, then went back with a wheat color, and the last one will be cream. I have not had any problems with wrinkeling...but I do bast down the sides. then SID and around applique with the mono. In the past I have had some problems, but not enough to make me change my methods. I guess it is just what ever works best for you.

• 4 months later...

Reading this post has answered alot of my questions, like what comes first. SID then fill. I see that you use mono, I am going to use my cotton on everything. Will I have a problem with this? It is to late to change as Christmas if comming and thread would have to be ordered. I spent yesterday looking for my extender plate, which I found this morning. My fill is computerized. This is my first LA Quilt

Archived