More ruler questions

I just did an entire quilt SID and echo SID and got a lot of use out of my Itty Bitty. Frogged half of it because of tension problems, so I got LOTS of practice on SID.

One question, however, the "indentation" doesn't seem to fit my machine. It's as if my (Gammill) hopping foot is about 1 mm too large for the Itty Bitty for SID. I had assumed that jamming that extension piece against the seam line would put the stitching in the ditch, and it doesn't. Am I wrong to assume that the hopping foot is the same size on all machines?

I also bought the Key, but can't figure out any use for it and and would appreciate some suggestions.

Ann

I have two different SID rulers - don't know why - must have gotten carried away shopping on the internet and being too excited over my new adventure. Anyway, have found that one ruler fits my foot better than the other - 1/4" should be the same on both rulers, but there is just a smidge difference. You might try a different ruler.

I too use the Itty Bitty...but I also have the Dainty Ditcher as well....I do like them both, but like Beth I can't rely on the ruler to do all the work...I too have to watch the needle as I go and make sure the placement is correct with each stitch.

The knobs on the Itty Bitty do come in handy, but they aren't a guarantee a perfect SID, you must watch as well as control each stitch.

And as far as are all hopping feet the same....I couldn't even begin to answe that one...I would assume each factory will have just enough difference that they aren't

I have the Line Tamer from Four Paws, which I like very much, but it works much better on my Milli when going up-down than side-to-side. I asked the manufacturer, & they said yes, it was designed for the Gammill and there is a slight difference in the size of the hopping foot; same width, but the APQS is about a millimeter longer. So, Ann, you might try that tool. If I wasn't too lazy, I'd shave mine off a hair.

I'm not sure that I understand the question. Is the ruler slipping under the hopping foot? If so, do you have your expanded base installed on the machine?

Or are you referring to the ends of the itty-bitty that stick up. My Gammill (Opt+) foot touches the ruler tabs on 2 sides. I just nest my foot in there and keep an even pressure on the ruler as I move the machine. Depending on how old your machine is, the hopping foot should be "scooped out" in the front for better visibility of the needle but the sides a tall enough to keep a ruler away from the needle.

Hi Dory,

We all have different ways that work for us. When I am doing vertical or horizontal SID, I often move the ruler at the same time I move the needle so it is really just a guide. That way, I can SID the top border without stopping, moving the ruler, starting again, etc. This of course, depends on SID's worse enemy, Bad Pressing. If it is not pressed well, it will be a struggle and I have to fight it all the way to keep it from bouncing back when it hits a badly pressed seam.

For diagonal ruler-work, I hold the ruler in place (with a somewhat firm touch) and then do my stitching, stop and move the ruler, and start stitching again. I find diagonal seams to be tricky.

But SID is what really frames a quilt. If it has a border, I always want to SID it.;)

Thanks, Linda....that makes sense. I'm working on a sampler quilt now and am trying to come up with designs for the squares and doing SID. I've been moving the ruler some and stopping and moving it...can't decide which is best but its good to know both are okay and I'm not totally screwing things up!:) I have hit a few poorly pressed seams....talk about putting the brakes on:(

Hey Dory,

When I use the ruler to SID== Stitch in Ditch, I stop, slide the ruler, quilt; then stop, slide and quilt.

The only time I slide the ruler (using a Dainty Ditcher) and move the hopping foot at the same time is when I'm going around applique or trying to guide my foot back to another location (like in McTavishing). I also don't run the hopping foot all the way to the edge of the ruler. I go slow, I keep it centered on the ruler with even pressure and go slow and easy. Oh, and increasing stitches per inch helps control the movement of the hopping foot, too, so if your doing ruler work, increase SPI at minimum 13 SPI on SR.

During my most recent project, I was getting tired (and a little careless) and lost focus and broke two needles by hitting the edge of the ruler. :o Yikes! Better to stop and take a break when you get tired.

Archived