Hey, all you gals with arthritis

The holistic approach to disease says that arthritis has to do with alteration of the acid-base balance of the body, specifically the body becoming too acidic.

I started having gout attacks about ten years ago and suffered terribly. It is said that when a man gets a gout attack, it is the closest he will ever come to experiencing the pain of childbirth. I haven't given birth, so I can't attest to that, but gout is mightly painful.

Medical tests indicated that my particular body makes acid faster than it can excrete it, and that's why I was getting gout. The medical approach was that I should take Allopurinol every day for the rest of my life, which I completely refuse to do. Knowing that there are alternative methods of treatment for everything the human body suffers from, I surfed the internet and came upon "alkaline water." It seemed perfectly logical to me that if I had excess acid in my body, neutralizing that excess acid could only be a good thing.

I started drinking alkaline water about five years ago and when I am faithful in my intake, I can keep the gout at bay. A glorious "side effect" of this alkaline water is that I haven't been sick or had a cold in those five years. I used to have at least one cold a year, and it was severe enough to put me completely out of commission for at least three days. I was never one of those persons who had the kind of cold where they sniffled and coughed but could manage to go to work. I was down in bed for three days and if I tried to go back to work after only two, I would have a relapse and end up losing four days of work instead of only three.

Coffee is another great contributor to arthritis. Everyone I know with arthritis is or was a heavy coffee drinker. For myself, I am very sensitive to coffee, and if I drink 1 cup a day for 1 month, I develop a tightening in my finger joints that takes 3 months to go away.

All the good stuff (sugar and chocolate, specifically) is a great contributor to the body becoming too acid. It's also very interesting that when I "fall off the wagon" and go on a sugar binge, my joints get tight the next day.

Now, the medical community pooh-pooh's this approach, saying that everything that goes through the stomach is affected by the strong digestive acid, and how can it possibly work? Such a good logical question, for which I have no logical answer. I only know that alkaline water works for me, it's much cheaper than drugs, but more importantly, there are no side effects now or later. It's not going to destroy my kidneys or liver over time. All drugs have side effects, and when you're lucky, they show up early so you can stop the drug. The side effects of some drugs don't show up for twenty years, and by then it's too late.

Their website: http://www.alkalife.com (I fixed the link. It works now.)

This is not a paid endorsement. It is an unsolicited testimonial shared among friends! Michael Phelps is going to make MILLIONS endorsing stuff he probably doesn't even use, and here I am giving an endorsement away for free :P

Thanks Ann, will look into this, but I don't drink coffee, and the diet that I am on doesn't allow any sugar or Chocolate...and if I do binge on Chocolate, its a tiny tiny bar... have lost over 90 pounds this past year, but the hands are still stiff.;)

Wow, Ann - that's great! For years, I drank distilled water because it's only property is that it is wet. I drink gallons of fresh brewed green tea ice tea. Love it - it's decafinated. I have arthritis everywhere, have had it since I was 12. Deteriorated my hip it's working on my left hip and knee. Would be good to loose this ton of weight I gained since my hip replacement.

The alkaline water would probably be good for acid reflux too! Thanks for the info, I'll look in to it!

Bonnie! I keep meaning to tell you how great you look! Congrats! When I went to my class reunion a few weeks ago, everyone was so shocked at my weight gain, I was always thin. I just told 'em - if you guys can go bald, I can get fat!!! LOL I love me the way I am, but a little less of me would be great!

Bobbi, you might want to investigate the use of pancreatic digestive enzymes and/or hydrochloric acid supplements for the acid reflux . . Most digestive problems are helped with one or both of those. A good health food store will carry them. Antacids treat the symptom but not the cause.

Not only have you held off colds with your alkaline water, but more importantly did you know that cancer can not grown in an alkaline environment, but thrives in an acidic one as do all other auto immune diseases. If you were to get those ph test strips you would probably find that your ph was very much on the alkaline side. Keep up the good work and you will likely never have to worry about cancer. That is free info too. JP

thanks Ann, I'll have to spend some time on that website. It all makes sense to me as my first symptoms was gout. Then the fingers on my right hand started swelling. Then my left hand. all in all, I've had 6 joints freeze up because of the artheritis. I will check in to this and it may even help some other things that are beginning to show up. The hardest part will be giving up my 3 favorite things, Coffee, Sugar & Chocolate. I'll be thinking on that for awhile. Thank you for the heads up.:cool:

I have the complete opposite I am deficient in acid in my body (just discovered last week) It is nice to know that even when it sounds negative there is a otherside that is positive. Luckily I probably need to drink MORE coffee.!!! My arthritus is affected by who knows what. I am gald this is helping you.

Good luck and let us know how it's going?

Melora

Originally posted by Just Sew Simple

Bonnie, you lost how much weight this past year?

almost 90 hoping for 100 by my 1st year anniversary (October 3rd) to this ordeal... with 50 left to go after that...... its not hard when you are over 200 pounds over weight and have the right tools to work with.

Archived