Valdani thread

Hi Heidi,

Home from Houston & quilting up a storm already?:D

For the Valdandi thread be sure to use a bigger needle at least a MR.4. If your thread is breaking or shreadding, then yes, you will need to back off on the top tension. In the bobbin I use a thinner thread like the bottom line, if you have thicker thread in the top & bottom it will tend to be more of a challenge!:mad:

I am a firm beliver in using the silcone made by Dritz, called "Sewer's Aid", I dont know if you have that in Norway, but it helps to tame down the thread breakage & the lint.

I also find that I have to sew a little slower with the Valdandi.

Let us know how it goes Heidi, you can always E-mail me any time!:D

Linda

Good Morning All

Sue Patten here from snowy Canada, yes it is REALLY SNOWING HARD in my neck of the woods this morning. Any hoooo, I use Valdani ALLLLLL the time with no brakage from start of the quilt to finish. Here are a few hits that might help. First if you are using the small spools (not the large cones) then you need to use the horizontal daul spool hold. Mine is placed right over my indicator lights close to the back of my machines, make sure that the thread is winding off the spool from the TOP of the spool. If it is winding off from the bottom of the spool it will tangle and you will get brakage. I use valdani top and bottom so I loosen not only my top tension but also my bobbin tention. I like to have a top stitch on both sides of my quilt. Also I run the top thread through the top and bottom eyes of the tenstion guides only using only 2 holes per guide. With the large cones you must still loosen your top and bobbin tension and then I run the thread through only the top hole of the guide, for the one closes to the back and the top and bottom wholes of the guide closes to the front. You will need to clean out your bobbin area each time you change your bobbin. If you don't the lint from the thick cotton thread will cause brakeage. Be sure to check that you get the link out of where the bobbin thread slides through the bobbin tension area. I use a my air spray to make it quick and easy. After that you should have no more brakeage. If you have any other questions Hiedi give me a ring... :D:D:P

The problem I had with the Valdani thread is that it was so "lumpy". You could look at the thread and see the unevenness of it. It would be very difficult to get good tension when the thread is thick in some spots and very thin in other spots. The local quilt shop was thinking of ordering some Valdani and I brought a cone to her. She looked at it, felt it and said "no, thanks!" Valdani may have improved the quality of their thread but when I contacted them about the poor quality, the response I received was basically "sorry, try the new, improved version". After I had purchased 12 or more cones of it, I was not really in the mood to spend more $$ with them . . especially when there are companies like Superior who offer a quality thread and stand behind their product.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I also tried many things to make Valdani work with my machine, because I love the colors. Finally two things helped:

-inventing a little device to use the small spools upright on the cone holder

-working without SR

I use same thread top and bottom, loosening the tension quite a bit, and it works well.

Nevertheless I came to prefer other threads like Superior, they are less complicated.

Good Luck,

Marie-Christine

Well I had a spool that seemed a little to thick for the top. So next quilt that could use a varigated or what ever I just used it in the bobbin.... worked great.......... seems theres less tension in the bobbin area? or maybe because it has to run thru less guides?

Linda Susie

(Who just got her first great grand baby smile..... almost better than getting a Millie would be)

Hi

Talking about threads, I'm just compiling my first order to Superior and am ordering mostly "Poly" threads like SoFine and Rainbows because that's what most of you said you liked.

The question is, why do you use poly threads when our quilts are made from cotton? Why wouldn't you be using cotton threads?

Rita

Hi Rita,

I do use cotton, but I also like to use these wonderful shiny poly threads like Highlights or Rainbows from Superior or Isacord from Amann/Germany, because they are thin enough for very dense quilting, they give the quilt a slight sparkling look and they don't build up lint.

I use matte poly like SoFine only when I have to do pantographs, because it is stronger than cotton thread and I have less breakage.

Archived