Hurricane Ike

I'm hoping I can go home today or tomorrow. My Complex has power at the front but not at the back yet. My apartment is in the middle so not sure if I have it or not. I heard from my boss and we may be back at work tomorrow. Here's hoping!

Hang in there Tammie, it'll be over soon!

Thanks for your prayers, keep 'em coming, the area I'm in right now has been told that they may not have power for another 3 weeks!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have power, cable and internet. The last 2 as of last night, I feel like it's almost over! I came home last Wednesday since I did have power after all. Got both apartments squared away, threw out all the food and sanitized the refridgerators. My Mother did not get her power back until Saturday night and she lives about 500 feet from me. It's been really strange the way way the utilities have come back up. One person can be fine and then next door has nothing at all. My boos is still living in their tavel trailer with the 2 kids, and her father and his wife were with them until Sunday night, too. There was no damage to my place except the fence at one end of my patio disappeared, have no idea where it went, it's just not here! My neighbors on either side lost part of their fences, too plus they had some water come in around the windows, both of them are on the ends of the building. My mother had no damage at all except where it looks like the apartment above her had water come in under the front door which drained into Mom's ceiling. There is a very light stain on the ceiling and that's it! We are so blessed! My job is another matter, the metal buildings that make up the plant had some damage so we are not able to produce any steel, or cast stone, or smaller foam molds, or the custom colored mortars. That means we had to lay off a bunch of people that do the labor, and the sales and office staff are on 1/2 hours. I'm scheduled 40 hours for a 2 week period and am using my vacation & sick time to fill in the gap until that runs out. Hopefully they will be able to start repairs this weekend since the insurance adjusters were there last Thursday. May be I won't have to use all my vacation time, I'd like to be able use some of it to spend time with the Grands this year! I know that it seems that clean up is taking forever for those that do not have their power and utilities back yet, and for those that lost everything things look really dark, so please don't stop praying yet! There are many people so intensely affected by Ike in a huge area incompasing many states. For some this is just another incident on top of several others just his year so please continue to remember them in yours prayers and hold them in your hearts. I'm looking forward to the time when I can retire and move to tornado alley!

Hi Kenna - I'm so glad that you're back and that nothing was lost that can't be replaced. I was thinking of you last night and wondering about how you were fairing. I'm sorry to hear about the layoffs of labor at your work, so hard on families to get their feet under them when the money stops if even for a few days. Hopefully they will be able to get back to work very soon. We will continue to pray for all that were affected by this huge storm.

Archived