Hurricane Ike

Hi, guys, I'm in NC and just got back on the forum. But my whole day has been occupied with watching the coverage of Ike from Houston. My whole family is there (including my elderly parents) and I'm terribly concerned about them. The hurricane has not hit yet but it is almost there. Please keep all of the Houston area residents in your prayers that they make it through this horrible night. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get through to all of my family tomorrow to make sure they are okay! I can't seem to concentrate on quilting at the moment. . . :(

It is morning now and I have talked to my parents and sisters and they are all safe. We are receiving a local Houston channel on our Direct TV (channel 361) so we can see everything first hand. It isn't pretty. So much damage and flooding. They are saying that the electricity will probably take 2 weeks to get it back. Luckily there is a cool front supposed to come in on Monday. Ike is still in the area and rain and wind are still a factor. The storm surge wasn't as bad but there is still lots of flooding. One other thing that happened is there were several fires that went unchecked because firefighters couldn't get out in the storm to help. If you've ever eaten at Brennan's Restaurant, it burned to the ground because of the storm. So lots of damage, only three deaths so far. We can only pray everyone stays safe.

Thank you to everyone for your positive thoughts. The flooding is the most dangerous in the Houston proper area. I just got off the phone with my 84 yr. old dad and he was out surveying the area. They were in a third floor unit in a high-rise building and still have electricity! What a miracle! I will be traveling to Houston for Quilt Festival at the end of October and will be so interested in seeing if they are making progress in repairs. My old townhouse was in a very flooded area but I don't know it's status. My step-son lives there now, but he spent the night with his mom and they made it okay. I am glued to the TV also and since I was born on Galveston Island, the whole thing is devastating to see. So many lost memories!

It sure is a mess and will take a long time to get things back to somewhat normal, but I think we owe a big thanks to how well the preparations went and Praises to the Lord for sparing many lives that might have been lost if the storm surge was as big as they thought it could be. The loss of life was far less than feared. Thank You Lord!!

Hey everyone!

I'm still at the ranch of my friend in Midway, which is just north of Huntsville. Ike came straight over us, but thank God there was no real damage here. A few trees down, but nothing close to the house, some dead branches down and that's it. We have no electricity and no phones and no gas to be found. Cell phone coverage is spotty. We've been told 3 weeks till power is restored. There have been trucks through with water and ice. So how am I logging on to the internet you ask? This is why God made generators! Red's son has hardwired one into the breaker box and we have the freezer, icebox, fan, water pump, continuously; and now the computer for a few minutes. Oh, and we have potties! We have chargeable power boxes that are running a small tv a little and we can recharge it from what is hooked up to the generator. Red's son has propane at his place next door and can get some cooking done. We are doing well. Please pray for people in the areas just outside of Houston. I live and work in Alvin and have received news that the company I work for took a bad hit. I think the main office building is fine, but the building behind that make up the manufacturing and structural steel depts were wiped out and they can't doo much without power. Once they get power back we can all get back to work in the office and have jobs for the cleanup. Since we are a construction materials manufacturer and supplier there is a huge need for our company to be up and running, our company has helped build Houston adn from what I've been told people from the city and counties have been sending people to the plant to see what we have available but we can't do anything. I'll check in again later. Everyone, please be safe!! As far as teh area where I am right now there is no gas, people are parked at teh stations waiting but without power the pumps can't run to pump the fuel, being a rural community it may be awhile before we get any. Hopefully power will come back in town faster than in will here in the boondocks.

I find it absolutely amazing how much force was in that storm. We here in south-central Indiana just got a small dose of Ike yesterday afternoon. The wind here was so strong, lots & lots of trees down & electric still out in lots of areas.

It only brings the reality of what all those folks in Texas must be feeling. Our prayers & thoughts are certainly with all those affected.

Memaw Marilyn

Yes!! I am still praying too for the folks in Texas.... Here in Ohio, yesterday(Sunday) we also had remnents of Ike. 70-78MPH winds..... lots of trees and power lines down. Said it might be a week or so for some folks to get power back . Ours was only out for about 5-6 hours. I can't imagine living where the actual hurricane was!!! MY!! At least we did not have rain with ours. I know some places in Indiana got hit hard with rain. Did you, Marilyn? Big storm, big problems!! Praying hard!!!!! linda

Here in NW IN I'm about 20 miles south of Valparasio, they got 11.50 in of rain Sat. and Sun.

Alot of flooding, alot of the schools closed today. Luckily we never lost elec.

Praying hard for all those hit by this storm.

Material things can be replaced but, life and loved ones....

Wishing everyone Gods grace.

Dear Kenna, Thanks for checking in with us!! I am so glad you are safe and at a place where you are in good hands and have the (creature comforts) that many don't have right now. Gosh these hurricanes are so scary!!! I was glued to the TV watching it all happen and thinking of you and others in that area. Take care and take one day at a time. Keep us posted on how you are doing. It's always good to know news from you. I'm sending you hugs, Kenna-babe. :) Love ya, girl!!!

Kenna I am thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way. The southwest side of Louisiana did not fair very well from Ike. 11 parishes were declared disaster areas, again. I read in the paper that one man was worried about his horses (15 of them). He had evacuated his horses during Rita and did not flood so he did not move them for Ike. Well, his land was flooded for Ike. He was just able to get his family out (by boat). I hope he is doing ok. I hope everyone is doing ok.

We still have about 5000 outages in Baton Rouge from Gustov. I live about 15 miles east of Baton Rouge and I still do not have cable (I know a little luxury but I sure miss the news.)

My DH shop still has a tree on it. The insurance people can not get here till the 28th. Luckily we have replacement cost for the tools.

One thing people are really mad about is our new insurance deductible for hurricanes. I do not know if it applies to Texas. after Katrina, a law was passed that insuance companies could charge a percentage of the value of the property as the deductible when it comes to hurricane damage. Luckily mine is only 2%. But some of the insurance companies are 5%. Well of course many people are upset. I am sure we all got a notice about this on one of those small notices that we get in the mail. You know I never read those. I will from now on. I really feel for some of those people who have damages that are ending up being higher than the deductible.

This law was passed to keep insurance companies from leaving Louisiana after Katrina.

The moral of the story here is to check your homeowners policy every year. I have one friend who normally would have a $1000.00 deductible now has a $125000.00 deductible.

I hope Texas will not have this problem this year. But make sure you keep up with those notices.

Ok now everybody do an update on your homeowners and make sure your machine is covered too!!!

Sandra

I live about 45 miles south of Indy & we didn't get any rain, just lots of wind. Like you, we have areas without electric & lots of wind damage. My sis lives west of Indy & they did get lots of rain, but nothing like the upper west side of Indiana, they are in a flood situation again...

The people who have had to deal with these hurricanes in the last few years, have sure dealt with alot. But, they are strong & will survive. Our prayers are with them.

Memaw Marilyn

Archived