What Do You Think?

I'm looking for your honest opinions. Good and Bad.

My Sister and I have dreamed of owning our own Quilt Shop. Problem is, She lives in Alaska and I live in Colorado.

Well, Through a series of strange events, we have the opportunity to make our dream a reality.

The Building that we have always admired will be available in the near future. The location is great, Main Street in a small town across from City Hall. The LQS in town has just closed it's doors due to health issues and another Shop up North has closed as well due to personal reasons.

My sister is willing to relocate to make our dream a reality.

She too feels that this is the right time and place for us to get our feet wet.

We plan to incorporate the Longarm Business into the Quilt shop.

Do any of you have any advice you wouldn't mind sharing? We would be starting from scratch. We are working on a Business Plan and are asking a lot of questions before we jump into this. We know it could be a risk and there will be many hours of hard work ahead if we pursue this, But we would like to be as informed as possible before we make our final decision.

I respect this Chats advice and opinions and would appreciate any and all input.

Thanks in advance!

Laura

Laura that sounds really exciting!

I think if you do something that you have a passion for and that you love then the hours and hard work will not seem to count.

Sounds like there would definaly be a market for your business as long as you are able to get it going before someone else has the same idea.

As for the longarm........................I have mine in my home and all my quilts I either pick up in town or come in the mail. The one thing about having it in a store (if that is what you are planning) could be interruptions. It does sound like a good thing to have as a service for the quiltstore though as many people just piece and hate quilting. You might want to keep it somewhere away from easy customer access like in a back room with a door you can shut if you want/need to.

Well it all sounds great.............best of luck!

Hi, Laura!

Well, I think that all things happen to us in our lives when they are supposed to happen, so, take the opportunity that's now at hand, and go for it! :) Just remember that most small businesses start from scratch and then slowly (or quickly) grow from there. In my own recent venture of starting my little business, I have discovered that there is a wealth of information out there on the Internet and in books (and from folks here on this chat) that you can take in. I have also discovered that there are many people and other businesses that are ready and willing to help you succeed, too. Don't be afraid to stick your neck out and take a risk or chance. I would suggest getting some professional advice from an attorney who deals with business startups. Also contact your local Small Business Development Center. They offer free consultatation and can get you connected with the right folks in your community who can help to make your dream come true. Your local SBDC has many resources that are free or low cost, and they also have information for businesses that are owned by women (or minority). Never stop asking questions and just go for it. I am so excited for you and your sister! Congratulations.

Wow, that is so wonderful. Wish my sis was closer, she is always so much help and positive energy for me.

Our LQS has two women as partners and they have done very well together. In fact, later this summer they will not only be business partners but in-laws too. One's daughter is marrying the other's son! They have also purchased a new lot and will be building soon and relocating their business in the next year.

Two heads are better than one and if the two of you can make the commitment, the investment in both time and energy, then have a great time and enjoy seeing your lifetime dream become a reality.

Best Wishes! ~~ Eva H.

Laura,

This sounds like a dream come true. Things just seem to be falling in place. If I remember correctly, Grammie Tammie was planning or did open up a quilt shop last year. She might have some advice about business plan, startup costs, etc.

I sure hope that this works out for you two. What could be better than working with your sister? How cool is that?:cool:

Laura,

I opened my quilt shop last year. Did I have a business plan, no, but it was an addition to our already existing business. I just went head first with a budget. I did find a company that I could buy 5yd bundles of fabric and they gave me the boards to put it on. I did buy full bolts but the 5yd cuts gave me an opportunity to put a lot more color in the shop without all the expense. It also gave me the chance to see what was the most popular colors or line of fabric that my area preferred. Now I buy full bolts for the shelves and purchase the 5yd cuts for fat quarters or sometimes there are 6yd cuts and I will tie a pretty ribbon or rafia and a button and sell them as a backing bundle. I also have the longarm business which is in another room. Invest in a really good motion detector for the door in case you are the only one working and want to quilt. Put it near the machine and you quilt away between customers. I do show some what I am working on if they ask and it has generated a lot more business for me, especially when I show them how cool the APQS machines are when they are quilting.

Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll do great.

Shana has some great ideas, take advantage of those. Also find out about Rotary Club, my Dad was a volunteer in a program to help council new businesses in dos and don'ts.

A LQS in my area has a Milli for rent in their store. They have a separate room and there is always one person in the shop that is the "fixer". They rent it out for $15 an hour and the clients keep it really busy. They'd rather do it themselves than pay out for it to be quilted by a professional. That's where I started and fell in love. Remember too that you have to do the maintenance, cause the renters don't do any maintenance that we do as a regular thing.

Another LQS has her LA in her shop and quilts on it when there are no customers. The shop is quite small so its not separated from the fabric area, but she gets quite a bit of quilting done between customers, and has access to more choices for fabric.

Good Luck, keep us posted so we know when we can come in and buy!:)

Patti

I would suggest you talk to as many LQS owners around the country as you can get your hands on and ask lots of questions about how they got started, what do they wish they had done better -- or not at all, what was the market place like when they started, what kinds of things have they done to bring in business, etc., etc.

One local LQS owner actually came to our guild meeting a while back and told her story about how she started her shop. It was interesting to hear the different things she has tried (THursday night sew-ins complete with dinner), various clubs, teas on Sunday afternoons, of course the usual classes. She also has a Millie in the shop and hires longarmers to quilt customer quilts. Seems to be working well for her, but she acknowledges it is LOTS of hard work.

If you do your homework and are well prepared, you will be successful. You certainly have the passion for it which is 90% of the battle!

Sara

Linda I was going to open up a shop. This was about the time Hurricane Rita came through and did alittle damage to our community. I chose to wait it out as Retail space was and still is so limited and the new retail is very high.

We have many new Retail shops coming up now that the smoke has cleared but I have since decided to wait until My husband stops leaving home to work. I don't want to do it alone. Also I love the local shop owner and do alot of business with her. Not interested in competeing with an already wonderful shop and now friend.

I'm learning to keep my mouth shut on plans as everytime I think we have our plans in order something out of our control happens and redirects us. I was suppose to be in our Fifth wheel by now but My husband has been offered a job out of the country for two years unexpectedly and it will not be a SURE committment until latter part of year. Now at least for the remainder of the year I will be in Texas and will more than likely stay here near family if he does go which is very likely. It will be for two years. Now that I have shared this something else will be jinxed probly. lololol

Keep your fingers crossed as I will get to fly and meet him every 65 days somewhere exciting. So I plan to visit some of my favorite Quilters who are out of the country. Won't that be cool!!!

Either way I plan on going to all the shows next year and just digitizing and quilting my own quilts. I am thrilled to have my daughter in law take an interest as well and if she shows potential I will certainly get her set up to quilt with me. Now that is a good mommy wish!!! lol I think it is time for me to finally compete. I've been very nervous about competeing and keep chickening out on the idea. I want to be sure I have all the skills mastered and that my quilt is my own creation. I have I think a nice one designed and will begin on it as soon as I complete my customer quilts which is very soon ( I hope before I leave for Kansas). I plan to begin when I get back.

All I know is no matter what happens I will be quilting something. lol

Laura my very best wishes to you and your sister. Get a good business plan in place and LIVE YOUR DREAM!!!

LIFE is too short so ENJOY your HAPPINESS!!!!!!

Hi Laura--

It sounds like the perfect time to make that jump!! How exciting for you both.

As you set up your business plan, your biggest variable and headache will be people!!

People as customers--will they come? Will they come back? Are you both comfortable and on the same page regarding customer service issues?

People as employees--will you have extra help? Will you and Sis have a serious plan as to who works when, how much you get paid, what happens when "life" happens? It's almost like a pre-nup--something you don't want to think about in the excitement of the venture, but it can tear apart partners (and families) if not addressed early. Re-visit the "plan" every now and then to fine-tune it and communicate often as to your needs. My advice is to close at least one day a week-lots of shops do that. If not one day, schedule help so you each have a day to look forward to each week .

If this sounds like been-there-done-that--yep! Starry-eyed Linda (me) went into partnership with a co-worker in a very small but very nice restaurant. We did great for two years and then dissolved the partnership and sold out--too much everything--work, stress, employee problems, yadda yadda. We made good money but in the end, it wasn't worth it.

I hate to be the sour note in this---what a wonderful dream--you have thought and planned and now it's possible!! Keep it all in perspective, your eyes open, and communicate. Best of luck, and when will the Grand Opening be? We'll all be there if we can!!!

Linda Rech

Olympia Wa

Guest Linda S

How wonderful! If I may make a suggestion though -- don't want to rain on your parade, but just a reality issue -- you might want to make sure you incorporate an on-line component to your shop. So many people buy fabric over the internet now. If you don't have the ability to sell on line, you may not be able to survive. I know several people who have gone under because of this.

Linda

Thank-you all for your input.

We have a long way to go and a lot more to learn before we make our decision, but your words of encouragement and advice are greatly appreciated.

I love this forum. If I'm ever in doubt, I know I can just ask you all and I will get a full spectrum of ideas and opinions.

Good or Bad, it all helps to make an informed decision and maybe see another side to a situation.

I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks- Laura

Laura,

I have my Millennium in my quiltstore, we have made a special place for it in a large area of my shop, around the machine we have build cupboards for bolts of fabric, so they are low, and everyone can see the machine. It is the first they see when entering that part of the shop, and no other way of advertising is better, because you can talk about it, and hand people information directly.

Yes, I have to stop quilting when a customer enters this area of my shop, but I have to do that anyway, since my shop is very large, and I don't have any staff to help the customers, beside myself.

But I don't mind: quilting for customers on my Millennium is not the main part of my shop, and if business is slow, it is the only thing I can do, next to working on my website.

So I don't mind having it in my shop. If I would have it at home, nobody would see it, and I had to advertise really big to get quilts....

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

Archived