Lenni's first run :)

I just did my first test. This is going to be fun. I need to make some adjustments because the movements are not quite smooth yet. The nylon rails were a bit rough so we removed some of the burrs, but I think I might need to wax them and maybe adjust the wheels.

I am discovering all kinds of new stuff, like why I might need a mirror and how wonderful stitch regulators really are, haha.

My question is why does it chime to warn you of the stitch regulator but there is no warning that there is a table just above your head when you are crawling out from under the table, ha ha. I think it will sink in after the next time I bonk my head :D

Okay I was just taking a break before trying out a pantogram and I thought I would let you know how it is going. So much fun. It won\'t be long before I will do a real quilt. A not so important wall hanging to start. I have never been very patient and I plan on finishing my muslin practice piece today.

It is fun, except I am having trouble getting the bumpiness out of the movment. I am too tired tonight, so tomorrow I am going to try to adjust the hopping foot because my batting is a bit thick and I am going to try to smooth the nylon rails some more. Dh wants to order me some aluminum rails to replace them. Do you guys think that would be okay?

Another question if you don\'t mind indulging me. I think I am going to need a bobbin winder and since I am going to place an order I thought maybe I would also get some rulers or stencils. Do any of you have any thoughts on what tools you can\'t live without? TIA

Have a good time with your new toy, and when you find that sensor that tells you that you are about to hit your head, or any other part of your anatomy, let me know!

I\'m sure the bumpiness in your movements are related to being tired, and just not being accustomed to one another yet.

Have a great time learning each others quirks.

Beth

Thanks Beth,

Actually the bumpiness is more like running into something and it knocks me off my stitch patch. Does that make sense. I will be cruising along just fine and bam it gets knocked aside. Anyway, I will try it again first thing in the morning and hopefully you will be right :)

I will definetly let you know if I find that head banging sensor LOL.

Hi Roberta,,, Congrats on Lenni.. I hope you enjoy yours even half as much as I enjoy Penny.. Um.. won\'t admit to how many times I\'ve bonked parts of me, which are many besides the head. ;o)

Try various threads too. I keep notes on what I\'ve tried, had to adjust, or not, and what I do or don\'t like. It helps me a lot.

Aluminum equals Black Marks..

and,

look for a tiny piece of thread, or lint, batt, etc on the rail or in the groove of the wheels causing the jiggy jog.. We had to sand the rails a bit.. I love the originals now.

Enjoy and keep smiling.. it IS fun!

RitaR

You are off and running, Roberta!

Sounds like you are bonding with Lenni.

If you are experiencing that bumpiness thing, next time you have unloaded a top, do a fine-tuning pass both back and forth and all down the table. Do this slowly and with your eyes closed. Feel for where the bumps are and you can isolate them. Bumps front to back will make you look at the carriage rails and those wheels for thread, batting bunnies smashed onto the rails or embedded in the wheels,or imperfections on the rails. Bumps down the length of the table will make you look at the table rails and wheels. Good luck.

It sounds like you have a handy and involved DH--lucky you! Together you can master that new toy!

Hi Roberta and everyone

I\'m getting excited, my Lenni is being shipped this week. All my Lenni customer orders have been filled and now its my turn. I think a few of the other APQS dealers will be getting theirs too.

I\'m looking forward to lots of conversation here about Lenni.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Roberta, I too just got my new Lenni, Got it up and running Sunday. I feel my rails are rough too. I did not know you could get metal rails to replace the nylon strip rails. I was having that kind of grabby pull thing too. I discovered the cable that come from underneath that clips around the wheel to the back was to tight and when it would move in a certain way it slowed or caught the movement. Solution to bring more of the cable out from under so that the cable is long outside of the carriage. I think some time when ithe wheels pass over where the rails come together at the center its not totaly smooth. I watched the dvd and they showed using machine oil to clean thr rails and wheels. So I did and it did seem to make it smoother. Of couse this is also when I discovered that the cable was pulling. So much to figure out and learn. Christi:o

Sue - I am excited for you. I know you will have so much fun and if you have questions about my experience please let me know.

Sewfriendly - thanks for that tip. I will go oil the rail and check that cable, though I think the cable is okay. I have my practice quilt on right now so I won\'t do any more burr shaving until it is off. Hopefully in a few hours. Dh rubs a really bad burr off last night and it helped alot. I hope the oil helps too.

I don\'t know if you can order the aluminum rails from APQS, dh happens to have a machine shop and he was going to get them from an online metals store. I was waiting to hear opinions and to see if the other things I need to try work. I will let you know if I get them. I don\'t think I want the black marks though

So, are you having fun? I am finding that I think I am going to need to buy some accessories like grids and rulers, I haven\'t figured our what yet though.

Rita and Linda - thank you for the tips. I am going to try everything. It is getting smoother already with what I have tried.

Heidi - I am going to look into the dainty ditcher. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Roberta, I am having fun. About the rails, you know that all the other APQS mchines run on the aluminum rails. I did not think about shaving the rails. We too felt the where pretty rough. I figured that was why it doesn\'t feel as smooth as I thought it should. I am in the same thought process about the rulers and such. I\'ve looked at them at a few online places. kinda hesitate as they seem pricey for such small pieces of acrylic. I am going to MQX in Kansas City in May and I thought I would explore it more then when I could see and feel and ask my newbie questions and get answers. One thing that might interest you. I understand that any thing that is thicker than 1/4 inch can be used as a template/ ruler. I went to the local Hobby Lobby and bought some cookie cutters. Simple shapes, They are more than an inch thick, they even have a rubbered edge to protect your hands when you press them into the dough. So I am thinking use them up side down so the won\'t slip around while I quilt along them. Have not played with them just yet. But if it works the cool thing is a set of 3-5 was only $3.50 vs $ 35-55 for a set of hearts or ovals made for the longarm.:cool: Christi

Dear Lenni owners - I\'ve had mine up and going for two weeks, I traded my Discovery in for the Lenni and I have the original wooden table, so I don\'t have the rail issues to help out there, sorry. After some adjustments and full grease in the gear box, Lenni is running very well. I love how quiet she is and smooooth. Doing a panto right now with the SR and it is like gliding over glass. I\'m up to trying some different threads now. Have a long weekend to do some experimenting.

I\'ve gone to the local auto glass business and got scraps of 1/4" plexiglass and had my DH make me some basic straight rulers - works great.

Happy stitches to you all.

Sharon.

Dear Roberta, Sharon, Christi & Rita

Its great to see more Lenni owners posting and others gaining from their experiences. Thank you all

After an etreeeeemly long wait, my Lenni will be arriving in 2 days so I have a busy time of PPP ahead but I promise to post my experiences to add to the ever growing Lenni forum of information.

Thanks again

Chris

Dear Chris Quilting Midwife,

We have an amazing amount of things in common! My name is Christi, I was a RN in Labor and Delivery for years. We both love quilting and we both got ourselves a Lenni!!!! A lot in common for to people acrossed the world from one another! Christi:P:)

Christi

That is a coincidence. You don\'t have two daughters and a husband called Tim by any chance??

Although yes I am a RN & RM here in the UK, I didn\'t mean to have it as a handle. When I set up my UN & PW I didn\'t realise it would be visible. I\'ve always disliked it but can\'t seem to change it without creating a whole new login and persona!!

Chris

Archived