Why Are Some Charity Quilts So Ugly?

I got into the habit of washing all my quilts...donated, charity, or even gifts...for a couple of reason...one I like to give something that is fresh and smells nice, but in the beginning it was more for the peace of mind that it didn't fall apart in the first washing. I know that is a silly thing, but so many of my customers miss seams and/or have seams pop when I quilt them, with even a tiny bit of tension on them, I wanted to make sure for myself I wasn't giving a gift that wouldn't hold together. I would have felt so bad if it fell apart so fast.

I try to make sure that the stitches with Maggie are pretty and try not to judge the quality of the pieced top on my charityquilts. I know that a lot of senior citizens do charity quilts and they can't afford much but it is their heart that counts to me as it is to all of you. We are so blessed to be able to share our thoughts and feelings about this subject and to be able to give a little of ourselves to people we don't even know. that is what I love about my "family"

I use my guild's charity quilts for my long-arm students to practice on. These are simple quilts with 6" blocks from donated fabric. The students worry that their quilting is not "good enough" and I tell them that the children that get these quilts will think theirs is the most special because it is full of cool and different designs. They aren't looking at these quilts with the eyes of the quilt police.

What's important is that the quilt will hold up to the washings and love that it will receive. People appreciate the quilts no matter what they look like.

Julia

What a great post but hard to read all of the sad stories about the homeless.

A local long armer told me a great way to get rid of extra fabric like the selvages is by creating "pillows" for the animal shelters. Save all of the un-usable scraps and stuff into a pillow form or cheap pillow case and take to the animal shelter. The fabric will get used one more time before it is thrown to the dump. The only problem is - if I take my pet pillows to the animal shelter, I'll end up coming home with 25 dogs and cats!

I know it's off the subject but thought it was a great idea by a fellow la.

Notwithstanding my first post above, I have to confess that I did make a "less than beautiful" quilt for the homeless shelter, and I did so deliberately because I felt it was less likely to be stolen by the "people above" at the shelter if I produced a quilt of my usual standard.

I used wool (front and back, no batting) from men's pants and was particularly proud of my creativity when I incorporated two back pockets (with buttons) into the quilt so that the quilt has pockets! How handy is that! ! !

One of the pockets is barely visible at the lower left corner.

post--13461900504262_thumb.jpg

This is "from the stash" of quilts to be finished at our guild for charity and I was astounded when I saw that the polyester batting was not only pieced with a seam, but two times! and that the second piece was of W&N 100% cotton.

The top is quite nice; it was whoever "threw the kit together" that did this. There's no way I am about going to complete a quilt with seamed polyester batting so I will put in a new, decent batting.

post--13461900504574_thumb.jpg

Hi Ann,

I love the quilt with the pockets!! It will wear forever and when washed, it will get better and warmer. I think you are great!

As for the pieced/mis-matched batting :(:(

Do you also wonder what people are thinking when this is an example of charity?

Making-do is one thing, but that is almost laughable!!I think if someone wants to use up their hacked-up pieces of batting

(I am all for using it up) it might be better used to stuff a pillow or for making potholders,

doll quilts, or other small projects.

I applaud your generosity in replacing the batting. I think most of us here hope that we would do the same thing.

I piece batting all the time because I am a real tightwad and keep all my scraps. However, there is a decent way to piece batting, and it's not with seams! It takes a little more time than just sewing a seam, of course, but the joining is not visible when the quilting is completed. I'm assuming you all know it; will describe it if anyone needs. I'm sure there is a video of it somewhere.

I always wash quilts for the little ones whether for someone I know or for charity. First, they are then ready for the newborn when he/she comes home - new mom doesn't have to worry. If they are for charity - I would hate to think that a quilt was given that wasn't clean and fresh. The receiver should not have to smell the odors of someone else. I always use Dreft on these quilts. I used to use it on my kids things and know that it truly cleans!!! It is a wonderful detergent. I do not use fabric softeners when doing quilts for others: I know that some people are very sensitive to various odors so it is best not to use. If the new owner wants to use softener - great!!! it does make them softer. And as Bonnie indicated, it lets me know how the quilt washes up and I am assured that the quilt that will stand up to time prior to me giving it away. I have this nightmare that someday a quilt I have made either falls apart in the first wash or all the colors run together............... not a LOL situation!! So my nightmare stays at bay as long as I do the first wash and know it is ok.

Archived