Spool Holder - homemade

As a newbie, most of my thread is in spools instead of cones, and I didn't realize that I didn't have a spool holder until the quilt was ready to be quilted on the frame with thread I had only on a spool. A spool holder from the company was about $46.00 and of course, it would take a few days to get. So my clever husband crafted this with a piece of wire and a C clamp.

post--13461900505135_thumb.jpg

That one looks almost as pretty as mine did....I took a cloth hanger, cut off a chunk and made a loop on one end and hooked over on the screw heads at the back of the machine....don't have it anymore, need to make a new one...but like yours so may borrow that idea as well.

Ann,

Soooo funny! I was studying your photo, trying to figure out just where on a Millie it was mounted - then realized I recognized those big letters in the lower left corner of the first photo - where's a red-faced icon when ya need one?

Very creative use of tools and wire - kudos to your DH for the innovative mounting solution!:P

Dory, I meant to mention in my previous post - - - I didn't know that I could just use the cone holder! I didn't even try it, I just had visions of the spool being pulled up and off the holder and flying through the air, but I guess that the spool wouldn't be pulled off unless the thread were fastened to the spool!

So I tried a spool on my on-board bobbin winder cone, and it worked! Omigod! I didn't even need the dorky spool holder.

It must be that not everyone knows that the spools will work on the cone holder. But it must also be that it doesn't always work, or else why would they make the spool holders?

How thread is on the cone or spool does determine how it should come off to the machine. I mean if the thread is on the spool in a crosshatch then it should come off vertically (sitting on a cone holder.)

And likewise, if the thread is on a spool and laid side to side (not crosshatched) then it should come off from the side to the machine.

If you do not take the thread off the cone/spool correctly it can affect the tension on your machine. That is why on several domestic machines you will find a vertical and horizontal choice for the thread.

Hope this explanation makes sense.

So Ann your last picture shows the thread coming off correctly. I love to see ingenuity at work.

vg

AnnHenry - My DH does not have the engineering skills that your DH has so I just use the

store-bought spool holder.;)

But what I want to know is. what kind of thread is that yellow thread on the spool?

It looks so thick. Is that 12 wt? And if so, how does it run on your Optimum? You must

use at least a MR4 needle. I love to accent some of my quilts with that heavier thread.

I have never had the nerve to try it on my longarm.

It's Signature Citrus. I am currently using a 3.5 needle, and I don't know why, because I was told to use a 4.0 ! !

Thanks Victoria, for the information about the thread winding. Both Signature and King Tut are wound side by side, and the instructions say that the spool has to move clockwise as the thread comes off the spool, so my dorky spool holder works.

Come to think of it, everything on the machine seems to run clockwise: the bobbin as it winds, the thread as it comes out of the bobbin . . .

Linda, I have a Gammill Classic.

post--13461900512114_thumb.jpg

Archived