cleaning a featherweight

I know someone has discussed this before, but I can't find anything on the subject. I bought a featherweight and it was delivered today. (not totally as described) It has some residue that looks like scotch tape has been applied to the machine base and needle plate. The black finish is perfect with no wear on the decals so I want to be careful when cleaning it. How do I get the residue off? Could I use WD40?

Sharon

I'm not sure I would use steel wool of any kind on this finish. It'll clean the residue, but it will also grind away some of the paint.

You might try Avon Skin So Soft. It gently removes many types of gummy residue and not only is easy on the finish, it leaves your hands "so soft".

mrmargie

I totally agree with Mr Margie...his fingers were just a bit faster with this than mine were....:P

Any vintage machine I not sure I would use steel wool even if it did come from a experienced person telling I can, I would to scared I would be to heavy handed and mess it up.....and I'm not to sure I would use an alcohol based product either...that could take off the shiny finish that some would call a cover coat....

Congrats on your new purchase....I know what you mean it not being totally true in the advertising...I just got my second one a couple of months ago...machine is great, but the box wasn't worth the shipping...had to throw it away, and get another one...:(

Hi,

I have a lot of old Singers. They're something I like to use and collect! The only thing I use on residue that's left on the machine from old tape, is sewing machine oil. I put several drops of oil on the residue and just let it soak. Then, wipe it off and repeat this process. It will take a long time! The glue will eventually soften, and you'll be able to remove it. The oil won't hurt the finish on the machine at all. I wouldn't trust some of the other methods talked about here. You don't want to cloud the finish on your "new" baby!

uh-oh... I wouldn't use steel wool or a scotchbrite on anything but the mechanical parts underneath the machine, for example, if they were showing rust or something, and even then, I would use it very gingerly. Those are abrasives. Even Mr. Clean pads are abrasive.

I bring poor little waif sewing machines home from yard sales and stuff, and it is always interesting to clean the puppies up and get them stitching again. I have used WD-40 for cleaning and goo gone and 409, but test a spot first to make sure that whatever you're using is not going to spoil the paint, and try to stay away from any decals or designs on the machine. And, be sure if you do use WD-40 on any of the mechanical parts, that you do re-oil with good machine oil again, because it's not good for machine lubrication.

hope this helps.

sammi

Archived