loaning out machine

I've o nly had my machine for a couple of weeks. I have a very pushy "friend" who is about 10 yrs older than me, and tends to mother me, to say it nicely. She's the bossy type, you know, the one who knows more about everything than you do. She sews (better than me, of course;)) and quilts a little. When I told her I got my LA she was all nosy about how I paid for it, how expensive they were and on and on. I've dealt with her long enough to know how to be vague and usually get out of these conversations. (I learned a tough lesson earlier this year when I confided some personal info to her and it was spread all over my church the next day.) The week I got it she bought some fabric for me to quilt (just for practice) so she could make a quilted tote. Of course I agreed to do this, I was sick of PPP on muslin! She didn't pay me for thread or even the batting, and I was a little aggrivated. Anyway, she has been saying she's going to come see my Lizzie. I've kind of just avoided her. She called me Saturday night about 9:00 pm and said she was in town (her and her whole family!) they were just messing around and thought they'd stop by and see my machine! I flat out told her it wasn't a good time. I have 5 kids, we were all in our pjs, little ones getting ready for bed, etc. I know that she will show up one day to see it. And thats ok, I love it and am proud of it. I just know from there though she will want to use it.

I have my Lizzie in my bedroom. I know, I know, but I don't have a studio yet. I didn't want to put it in my garage, the winter's coming and its cold here! My DH has been great about it all, totally supportive and it was his idea to put it in the br. We have plenty of room to get around, but it is a little surprising when you first walk in. (you can imagine!) This lady has already been teasing me about it being in my room. She flat out told me I should've put it in the garage. We are kind of between houses right now, and I know within the next year we will buy a house and I will have a studio. I love where it is, its the most convenient for me...isn't that whats important?!

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I don't want anyone using my machine either. I didn't pay as much for mine as some of you did for your Millies or others, but it was alot of money for me! I loved all your answers. I think I really will just tell her she's nuts.:D

Sorry so long!

Crystal

Crystal...We don't care if you paid a dollar or if it was given to you as a gift...its yours and its up to you whether you share or not.

I wouldn't even let this person into my bedroom, no matter what time she showed up....people like her just don't get it, and deep down not really a friend at all...

When she goes and tells everyone something that you personally confided with her (she shouldn't have told anyone)...If she was a true friend she wouldn't have spoken to anyone about the conversation, it would have stayed between the two of you. I don't care if it was so unimportant as you had a second piece of cheesecake....or was as important as _________ (you can fill in the blank)....she should have kept her mouth shut.

My daughter has a saying...A friend you keep close, an enemy you keep in front of you so you don't loose sight of them.

Hi Linda and all, I tell people who ask to use or rent my machine that I charge the same as if I were quilting it since I can't do my work while they are on the machine and I have to be there to answer questions etc. The usual response is "well why would I do that?" I response by saying "I don't know why would you?" They can get a profesional job done or struggle themselves!!! Usually this conversation ends with us having a good laugh. It hasn't offended anyone yet and people seem to see the logic even though I'm sure someone who was really pushy could argue the point but so far so good!!!

Hope this helps someone out there get thru an uncomfortable situation!!!

Why is it that people who don't do LA think it is easy or they can pick it up and do perfect work instantly.

If they actually tried it (at a quilt show ect) they would know how incredibily time consuming it is to become good at this. I only could work on the LA part time and it seemed to take months before I felt the result looked good. My old brain did not train quickly.

Judy,

I love your father's sign. I was going to suggest that Linda tell the person that when and that is when she learns the machine herself, that she would be willing to give her a class. The class would cost $300 (or more depending on how high you think you have to go before she won't be interested). Then the rental fo the machine would be $150 an hour (or more), plus $25 an hour for Linda's time to supervise the person.

But I really like what the sign says much better.

New motto:

All quilts professionally quilted by me, Quoted Price.:)

All quilts quilted on my quilting machine without me as operator, Double Quoted Price.:o

All quilts quilted on my machine without me as operator, but require my assistance and/or supervision, Triple Quoted Price.:o

;):):D:D:P:P:);)

Archived