loaning out machine

I never loaned out my machine. I didn't want to get in to the situation of people thinking that it was available for their use. I was running a business and needed the time to quilt customers quilts. If you don't want to have people using your machine...STAND your ground and if they are offend, they can buy their own machine. Do you have insurance to cover your machine if it is damaged by them (granted it is under manufactures warranty for 3 years, but if it damaged there is down time for you) , do you have insurance to cover the quilter if she injures herself using your machine, do you have liability insurance if they hurt themselves coming in and out of your house for business?

What to tell them is that you are in the process of learning how to use the machine, the machine is expensive and you have decided not to "loan" out your machine due to liability issues.

LAer's have been known to rent out time on their machine after first training the customer for a fee, usually 1 to 2 hours of training time. Again this is not something I wanted to do. I would not feel comfortable leaving a customer alone with my EXPENSIVE machine...I would need to be there for unexpected situations. Call me over protective of my Millie...but that is what I am. You are not alone in wanting to be the sole user of your machine. To tell the truth, it even made me nervous when my older daughter was using it I:o didn't leave the room:D:o:D

Nope, can't do that, what a nightmare that could be! Imagine a new driver just getting in the car and taking off without lessons! Where do these people GET these ideas???? I guess that think that it's easy and an easy way to get quilting for free!!!! :o

I have never been asked to loan my machine nor asked by anyone 'to just try it!'

Use the insurance excuse if they get pushy or tell them it's $500.00 for a lesson and not on their quilt! :P

It's your machine and you decide what happens with it. I just simply tell them NO and I don't feel obligated to give a reason why. Would that same person walk into a business with a store front and ask to use their business equipment? Probably not.

I get a few that also ask me if they can come and watch me quilt. Again the answer is NO and I don't feel that I have to give them a reason why.

Debbi

Absolutely not!!!! I had to work to buy my machine. I have given people the names and websites of machine mfg. so they can look into owning one of their own. That's like walking into Kinko's and telling them you just have a couple of copies so there should be no charge. NO, NEVER!!!!!!!! You know if they put a hole in their quilt they would blame you. If they ran over their finger they would blame you. If you can't tell already, I am totally against this. :mad::mad:

I totally agree with everyone above, this is just too big of an investment and liablility to have people come over to play on it so that they don't have to pay to have their quilts quilted. The comment about giving someone your car to use who doesn't know how to drive is perfect!

My answer would also be "Sorry, but I don't let anyone else use it." Don't apologize to say it - it is your machine.

Vicki

for those that ask about borrowing your machine, Say sure and while you do that can I borrow your car or expensive embroidery machine or whatever. Of course I can't drive but hey, it can't be that hard right. Or No, I have never embroidered but you wouldn't mind me learning on your brand new machine. I think if they think of it in that manner they may see why we don't want to lend out our machines. A girl I know asked me the same thing and if I was going to be renting it out. Like you I just got it and I said, I didn't want to have my machine tied up for that long because I had so many quilts to get done and I am doing alot of practicing on it myself.

Jeanne

In reading your post, I cannot believe someone would be so insistant. It's your machine. You paid for it. If you don't want anyone else to use it, then just say "No". That is all there is to it. You don't owe her an excuse, you don't owe here anything. If you are using the machine for business then hand her your list of prices, and if she doesn't like that, tell her you will give her the name of some other quilters in your area :) You are the boss....don't let people try to tell you what to do.

My dad was a mechanic (retired but still worked out of his own garage) and he had a sign that stated

"SURE I LEND OUT MY TOOLS,

BUT I COME ALONG AT MY

REGULAR PRICE" .

I really don't know how many people asked him to use his tools, am sure there were some, people are so bold and stupid....but at least it would make them think BEFORE they open their mouths.

People just do not take care of things that don't belong to them. I sure would not lend out the machine.

snork! roflol! are you NUTS?! should cover it all. I almost fell off my chair giggling.

I'll take the hubby and the ds, please. Ship them to MT, forthwith. I have no floors, no bathroom, no walls around the one functioning bathroom in the basement, and my dh is tuckered out! He could use the help. I'll even feed them. I don't suppose that either of them knows how to rebuild an engine?

dittos to: Just say no. No explanation is necessary.

once you do it a few times, It's really AMAZING how well it works, and how many different places it becomes applicable! But, you must stand your ground...if you say no, then cave in later, it just reinforces the fact that all they have to do is badger you to get what they want.

I have the opposite problem, I WANT my qgf to come quilt with me, but she has NO desire to come play on the machine! lol! Bless her heart, she lets me learn on her quilts, tho.

sammi

I have a friend who was really upset and confused when I told her no-she could not just come over and "try" the new LA! I said I was sorry but I won't let ANYONE use the machine & if she wants to "try" one she could go to any dealer or quilt show and try it out there!! She did get over it and things are fine now! she was a tad upset when she asked me to a quilt for her so I could get more practice and again she was told no...sorry I don't want to do other's quilts for practice or profit-again she got over it! Come to think of it she has not asked for any other "Favors" for a while now....hmmmm.

I would be very careful about about the DH ad! You may get one that is more tired & run down than the one you currently have:D:D:D. From the frying pan into the fire sort of thing:P:P

I can't believe that "Friends" would really put you in such a position. Out of all the people that I know, no one has ever even asked to try my machine. I have invited 2 people (other than my own DD & GD's) and only 1 has taken me up on it. If they have 1/2 a brain, they should know that it would be rude to even ask! So I think the people who do aren't really your friends, they are users trying to use you and your machine. A big "NO" should work as MaryBeth said. Really, where did they leave their manners? :cool:

Ok, just to add to the stories. One of my best friends wanted to "learn" to use my machine when I got it but she could hardly use a DSM. She also thought it would be a great idea that we be business partners even though she couldn't do anything without being led around by the hand. When she told me she wanted to use my brand new Freedom to do her quilts and that I could teach her, when I just was learning too! Anyway, I told her how much I charge per square inch - which she didn't get I was telling her how much I was charging her. What it took was to tell her how much I paid for the machine and that if she broke it while using it, she would have to pay for the repairs. She never asked to "learn" on my machine again, and agreed to pay me what my rate was to finish her quilts. We are still friends and my beautiful Baxter went to the very talented Shannon here. So, it all ended well, but some people are clueless until cold hard cash is involved.

Archived