New MidArm Machine

Just received a newsletter from Babylock that announced it's new midarm machine called the Jewel. It looks EXACTLY like the HQ16! I'm wonderging if Handiquilter sold it's patten to their or if it's a knockoff! They say it's built to use on the Grace frame. Didn't see the price listed!

I absolutely agree with you Sandra.

But a person stepping into a mid-arm may be a customer who decided that it would be cheaper to purchase one than to pay someone (us!!) to do their tops for them. So these sales do impact our business somewhat.

I have two former customers do just that--except one bought a used Nolting and one bought a brand new Gammill Premier Plus. ( I tried to steer her onto the right path, but she went the other way--and hooray for her!! She is thrilled and will do well.)

I guess I need to throw out the word and start a baby longarm group locally!

I sucessfully use mid-arm Gammill Premiers at a quilt shop and also have my own at home. We mostly do full to queen size customer quilts, plus have commercial accounts doing many custom silk puffy bedspreads for interior designers as well. We've never had to turn down a job, Nor have we had a machine break down.

People with the APQS Liberty are having the same great sucess in business with their mid-arm machines too..

Proven Top Quality Brand Mid-Arms are great, especially if $'s, weight or space are issues.

The shop plans to trade theirs for a Premier Statler soon. I'd originally planned to go for a Millie once I determined I could do this. But I love my mid-arm so much, I don't see any real need to make a change now.

As long as people continue making quilts I think good quilters will succeed.. Most all of our business has generated from customers who lost their quilter due to them going out of business or cutting down once their machine was paid for.

After 3 top came in yesterday, I told the owner she needed to buy another stack of drawers for the tops cuz they were all full already. She said NO, you just need to quilt faster:D

Just happy to be quilting

Terry

one of the yahoo forums for all quiting machines had a post about when were the sewing machine companies going to come out with a mid arm machine for a reasonable price one that does not have to be used on a frame. I think this is an area for home quilters who want to quilt for themselves and dont' have permanent room for a frame can find their market. It can also be used for business and maybe a stepping stone to the long arms. I for one looked into several mid arm sewing machines and when I saw how much they were and the vast difference between them and a Lenni, I am so glad that I paid a little more and got the Lenni. As far as a Milli or other larger machine I just don't have the space or money for it as a personal machine as I am not in business at this point. If I ever do decide to quilt for a business I will probably go for a bigger Milli. Jeanne

Originally posted by IBQLTN2

one of the yahoo forums for all quiting machines had a post about when were the sewing machine companies going to come out with a mid arm machine for a reasonable price one that does not have to be used on a frame. I think this is an area for home quilters who want to quilt for themselves and dont' have permanent room for a frame can find their market. It can also be used for business and maybe a stepping stone to the long arms. I for one looked into several mid arm sewing machines and when I saw how much they were and the vast difference between them and a Lenni, I am so glad that I paid a little more and got the Lenni. As far as a Milli or other larger machine I just don't have the space or money for it as a personal machine as I am not in business at this point. If I ever do decide to quilt for a business I will probably go for a bigger Milli. Jeanne

I totally agree. The market for a reasonable mid arm machine it great. Too many quilters want the option of quilting their own quilts. For me the big issue is space. A quilt frame and machine is a huge investment of real estate in my house. The cost is less of an issue. It is more the space factor. I am planning on spending some time meeting George at the Houston quilt show. I am hoping George will be the answer to my prayers. Large enough to enjoy quilting a queen size, but small enough to fit into a corner in my bedroom.

Jackie

Jackkip, I have George and would encourage you to have some real time with him. I took a charity quilt to my lqs and used George for a good portion of the day. Had hubby come in to see him, and we signed papers!! He fits in my bedroom and the table will fold down when you choose to (which is never in my case, I store 5 3-drawer units of fabric under his back extension).

I have a stitch regulated HQ16 and love it. I do my own quilts, and don't take in others. For me space was a major issue, I just don't have room for a large machine. I bought my set up just as George was hitting the market, before Lenni. It is a little stiffer than Milli but also a little lighter to move. The stitch is just fine and I can do most pantos that interest me. In the past if I have found a panto that was too large I have just written to the designer and had it scaled down. Most designers will tell you that they are aware of the need for more pantos for the midarms, alot of them are focusing their efforts in that direction. I can also convert my machine to a sit down machine with a cabinet if I ever choose that route. That being said, if I had the space and had an APQS dealer near me prior to my purchase I probably would have gone with an APQS machine. Probably a Liberty because of the lighter weight. Dianne

Originally posted by MtnBarb

I'm wonderging if Handiquilter sold it's patten to their or if it's a knockoff! They say it's built to use on the Grace frame. Didn't see the price listed!

When I was working in the DSM business there was a few things that Bernina had that Brother wanted and Viking had that Brother wanted and the list keeps on going....there is a certain amount of time that each DSM manufacturing company has they can have an exclusive on a part or technique and then after that time goes by then other companies can have that same technology.

So with that in mind I think that this new Babylock will have met that time period, (I believe its 7-10 years) Also since Babylock has it now Brother will soon come out with something as well, as they are both made by the same manufacturing company.

Archived