MQX 2009

Irene,

I already know I won't be able to go to camp next year. It is just a few weeks after my daughters wedding and between both weddings I'll be using up most of my vacation time. We're busy in the planning stages now. I've already started my son's wedding quilt. I hope to get to marking fabric by next week. I'm almost done designing it. I sure missed you this year. We had a really good time. I hope the wedding goes well for you! We'll have to try to get together at MQX. I'm still up in the air if I'll be able to make it. It is about 4 weeks before my son's wedding but since I only live 3 hours away I'm hoping to at least make it for a day. We definitely have to make plans to get together. By the way if your driving you will be coming right by my house...you're more than welcome!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by rcck00

If you could only go to one, which would it be? I'd like to go, but can only choose one. I have never been to either one, so I have no frame of reference.

Thanks!

Thats a hard question to ask...at least for me as I have only gone to MQX. Here is what I would suggest. Go to each website and check out the teachers/classes. The new for MQX is up as you know, but look as last years for MQS...they have the same or about the same each year. See which you would benefit from the most and then go from there.

Irene,

It all depends on the classes you want. If it is somebody really popular right now and hands on it will fill more quickly than the lecture type classes. Last year I was still able to sign up for almost all of the classes I wanted and I did it the last day of registration. I didn't take any hands on classes, only lecture classes. I also only went for two days. My only recomendation is not t overload yourself. I was talking to people who took 4 classes in a day and they were glazed over. The first year I went I took two classes only an hour apart and it was too close. This year I took a class each day and that was just right for me. I could have added one class if I wanted but decided not too. I spent lots of time shopping and watching demos. It was much more relaxing.

Cathy,

I have been to both shows. They are equally good. You won't be disappointed in either show. The only thing about MQS...is that there aren't any food places close by...you need a car or eat at the venues at the show or the Sheration. But there are more places to stay that are close by the show...at MQX the other hotels are further away (but there are shuttles running from some of the places...I don't know if that includes all the places you can stay at or just the ones listed on the website.)

MQX is downtown and there are many places to eat close by.

I have been to MQX twice and MQS once. Just go to one and have fun:P:D

Irene, I didn't sign up for some of my classes until a couple of weeks into registration. I also swapped out of one of my classes sometime after that. I think the hands on classes fill up quicker. I think they teach the long arm, hands on classes on an HQ16 and the sit down quilting on Brother machines. I don't know if that will help anyone in their class selection.

Dianne

Originally posted by GeoTech

We are staying @ the Hilton Garden Inn, which is only .4 tenths of a mile from the convention center. The AAA rate for a king, was $125.00 per night. Heidi we live the next town over from you, in Glenville.

Glenville is very close. My daughter lives up at Exit 10. We really need to get a group together. Maybe after the holidays.

As everyone can see from the above messages, this is why I had thought (on a previous post), that people on this chat should post their location. Who knows we might all have new quilting friends living just down the road. Or living somewhere where we might be passing through.

Dianne

I was surprised to read that hands on classes are on the HQ 16. Does that work very well for those of us with the larger machines?

I'm new at this too and when I was researching I found the HQ felt really different than a Gammill, APQS or Nolting.

I really want to go to one of these big shows for classes. DO the hands on classes at MQS use commercial machines or does it really not make a difference when you're learning a technique?

Thanks for the tips gals.

I just signed up for bunches of the lecture/demo classes. So far I don't have any hands on classes, although I am considering signing up for one. Since I have a Liberty, the smaller HQ16 might be closer to my machine than the bigger ones. I hope these lecture/demo classes are worth it, as I have spent $550 on them, plus the $40 registration fee.

At least the time committment for the classes will keep me out of the vendor mall most of the time:P

Dianne, I will arrive the Sunday before it starts and I'll be there the WHOLE week till Saturday evening. A friend of mine is flying in from Australia, and her last class is 6p on Saturday so we will all be there. We will have to get together and have a bite or something while there.

Bonnie, I left a small gap in between classes on Thursday to take in the show and visit the vendors. Still debating on Friday and Sat. Last year I went alittle crazy and left with shopping bags full of thread and pantos. This year I hope to take home some rulers and of course a few more spools of thread. FYI, if you're planning on hitting Superior Thread, get there early. By the time I got there last year it looked like a cyclone had hit the place.

Dianne

Originally posted by DB

FYI, if you're planning on hitting Superior Thread, get there early. By the time I got there last year it looked like a cyclone had hit the place.

It does every year...in fact two years ago...They had to have a special restock shipment sent in on the third day..they were cleaned out by second day of show....its seems that everyone hits there first for just that reason. I think though this year I will get a few spools, but I'm more looking at maybe more pattern boards or a real CL...not sure yet depends on bonuses at Gene's work and how much I can save between now and then.

Marlette, here is my 2 cents worth (which is really only worth 1 cent since I'm Canadian). I think it is better to take lectures and demos rather than hands on classes in this type of setting. When you are working with a machine you aren't familiar with, sometimes you spend more time trying to get the feel of the machine than actually learning what you are there for.

As we all know too, there is usually always 'one' in the crowd that hogs the machine and everyone doesn't get equal time.

I think hands on classes are great, but IMHO are better either one on one or in smaller groups with a machine you are familiar with - i.e. - at your dealer.

I signed up for all my classes last night and I'm really looking forward to going to my first longarm show!:D

Hi Bonnie and Diane,

I have a room at the Raddison from 4/13 to 4/18. I didn't get my flight yet, as I am hoping to use FF miles on SW and I can't book this early. So far I don't have any classes on 4/13, but I have classes each day through Saturday. I must get a flight out Saturday evening. My last class ends at 3:00, so I'm thinking a 6PM flight or later is needed.

Mon-No classes (yet...)

Tues - 8 AM-12 and 1-3 PM

Wed - 4-6 AM; 10-12; 1-3 PM

Thurs - 4-6 AM; 10-12; 4-6 PM (show 12-4)

Fri - 10-12 AM; 1-3 PM; 4-6 PM

Sat - 10 AM-12; 1-3 PM Flight home

I should have planned more time at the show, but this schedule will also keep me from spending too much money at the vendor mall. :P

I would really love to get to meet you both, as well as Irene and Marlette and any others who are planning to attend.

Sandy...I was looking at your class schedule...What classes are from 4-6 AM......I can't even imagine any teacher being up at that time let alone teaching..... I have a full schedule...and will let you know as soon as I can find it....but I will be there ALL week as well.

Archived