I blew it with wrong info!

I need to appologize.. our notes get jumbled, and I guess they did on thread tension issues which periodically leave loops of thread on top, in the middle of a nice line of stitches.

I double checked with Amy while on the phone about another matter, and the loops are caused by tension! Not the SR as our notes showed.

As Shana said, start with the bobbin and use her drop method, or your towa.(I sold mine, was too inconsistant)

Once that is set, then start adjusting the top thread. Again as Shana said, it takes a good crank to make progress, it's not like our domestic sewing machines which you turn 1/4 or 1/8" to change the settings.

Again, I do apologize, and will try to keep my mouth shut about solutions.

RitaR

no need to shut your mouth!

I have found that all the information given in this forum is done with nothing but the best intentions. Life happens, besides it takes a very solid person morally and ethiclly to come to all like you have a admit that a mistake was made.

Shake it off Ms Rita! Get back on that horse and try again!

Happy Quilting!

Rita-

Please do NOT let this get to you! You were not passing mean intentions or mean words about someone-Any tips at all are appreciated by me and I am sure many others! Some tips work for some people, while some don't for others - it is up to us to find what works for US!!! Everyone should keep posting tips etc, without fear of ridicule or even being snubbed!! KEEP POSTING!!

Patty

Rita, gosh don't worry about that! It could be tension or it could be something else, too. When I have an issue, I try to isolate the problem one step at a time. First step (for me) is to start with the tension. Then I make sure my bobbin assembly and case is super duper clean (WD-40 and blown out so it's lint free) then I check that my thread path is correct (sometimes the thread jumps out of a guide) then I change my needle...it could be dull, and then make sure my sandwich is not too tight. There are so many variables out there... it could be anything causing the problem. Just gotta troubleshoot.

Sometimes just turning the machine off, walking away and taking a break fixes things, too. :P Don't ask me how I know that. lol! ;)

Hey we are all here to help. Anyone can chime in to provide help. I am (naturally) a big sister and growing up I couldn't help but open my big mouth and give advice. LOL :)

Ladies, thank you. I wasn't so much beating myself up as I was worried that I'd cause a lot of extra work for someone trying to fix their problem, with the wrong info.

Jeanne, the loops were the ones on top at that time, but loops on top or the bottom I'm told usually indicate tension problems, but can be thread getting snagged on something. In this case, the stitching on top was fine, then suddenly a few loops of real loose thread, then pretty stitching again. With Penny, loops on the bottom is the top tension and sometimes that means the thread path, a loop needed, or missed, or out of the disks.. etc.

I believe Amy does say always start with the bobbin tension and adjust the top thread accordingly. I have noticed now that we do start with the bobbin tension first.. we get it fixed a lot quicker.

meanwhile, I've a buttload of quilts still to get finished this month.. I think I'm down to 11 or 12 tops yet to go, some are preprinted panels. and I love them.. also running out of Quilt Guild Labels.. and ened to print more for QoV. Himself is helping with bindings after I get them sewn to the quilts. He does good work.

RitaR

ROFLMHO I cry a lot, moan a lot, tell him all about how my thumb hurts.. ask for sympathy, then threaten to set him out on a stump and throw acorns at him! If that doesn't work I threaten to shave his legs with a chain saw..

Actually it's more how to keep him OUT of my projects. than to get him involved.

He has no hobby, or interests other than what I am doing.. so.. it gets touchy at times.. and this is one of "those"times..

The thumb is really hurting.. and I'm behind on what I wanted to have done by now, and have about 5 or 6 projects going at once.. always a problem for me when I do that..

lets see. making baking bags, a quilt top from "ugly" fabrics we got at our Spring Social at guild, and is due at the Christmas Social.. and trying to get one of the projects from Camp Mowana into a frame, with a mat, and squared, etc, and racing Penny around and over quilt tops, and making and pressing bindings and sewing the first seam onto the quilt, and making a Quilt of Valor, and you get the idea.. I shouldn't have more than maybe 2 or 3 projects at a time, and this isn't all.. still haven't made the cactus apple juice into jelly..

and anyway.. he made his quilt, won first place at the wee fair.. and now he's the expert.. lol I'll let him help with bindings. For now.. and why do I have the time to type all this when I'm so busy???? taking a breathing treatment.

Rita

Rita, have you tried a paraffin bath for your thumb? I have one and some days I keep it turned on all day. When my hands hurt---usually in cold weather---I dip a few times, wrap in plastic bags and a towel, take a break and read email, then dip in cool water--then repeat. It gets the blood flowing in and out and seems to relieve the aching.

My friend Mary Lou had a bout with arthritis in her thumb from doing a lot of hand quilting. She wouldn't quit until the last one was done--wedding quilts for her three sons. She finally had surgery and it's much better. That's probably because she's not quilting as much either.

I find that keeping busy takes my mind off my aches and pains. You started your list and, well, we COULD go on forever with our lists. I won't get them all done I know. But it sure is fun to "project" out a few years just in case we have a depression or something.:P I'm looking around my sewing area and I see at least 10 projects staring me in the face. Aaahhhhh--sweet quilting--my passion.:)

Rita, Actually by having a discussion on what was causing the loose stitches and what wasn't I personally am more apt to remember how to handle the problem if it happens to me. It's great to list the straight facts, but sometimes they become a blur, a conversation on the matter might be easier to recall, especially since it discussed what the problem wasn't.

Dianne

Archived