placing pantos

teresapersell

I line up my pano an even distance from the edge (or you can follow the plastic cover edge). I then square up my quilt and then roll it to where the edge of the panto is (don't forget that you can adjust that laser light too). Do a practice run along the edge with your laser light and be sure that it follows the edge of your quilt..then just do the partial pantos along the top edge and the next full row should be right on...

as long as your quilt is squared up and the panto is straight, you should be ok...

Vicki

I simply line up the edge of the panto with the edge of the panto plastic cover. It's really no different than having the pattern grid. It just doesn't have the grid marked, which I find really hard on my eyes, trying to deciper all the lines in addition to the pattern lines. My brain goes into overload! :o

For my edges - I have some very thin rulers I tape down that indicates the beginning and end of each row. I place my pantos on top of my grid - too lazy to put them under the grid - works great! You can see the grid lines thru the pantos - easy to line up along the top. I do have to remind myself to look carefully and see if there is an up or down to the quilt/pattern and set things up accordingly - didn't check one time and boy was I upset with myself - luckily it was a child's charity quilt and was not that noticeable. I do check the edges with my laser/channel locks - only takes a second and better to be safe than sorry.

should add, I had to replace my plastic doo-hicky on my table because it cracked and split and would roll up in the center when I moved my machine head back and forth. It drove me nuts, till I took it off and just went without it for a while. I purchased the PatternGrid at MQS so I wouldn't have to pay shipping. I have not cut it in the middle, although I think Myrna has cut her's. I should, it would make it easier to manuver the pantos, but I don't want it rolling up like the plastic did that came with my table.

I have a Lenni and I have one extra adjustment to make when placing my pantos. Not sure if this is a problem for the Millennium. When placing pantos, although I check top, bottom, left and right for placement, I make sure the bottom of the panto will still work fine when the entire quilt is on the takeup roller. I am slow so it only took me three quilts to figure this out. I found that the bottom placement (back edge) seems fine at the beginning of the quilt, as I got towards the end on some wider patterns, I could not reach the bottom edges of the design because of the amount of quilt on the takeup roller. Hope this does not confuse you. It scared me a bit the first time as my machine lifted up in the air.

I always put my panto under the plastic and just line it up with the bottom of the table. I find that I like to sometimes make my own left side endings so I can use the erase marker to do this on the plastic. I also mark the start and stop lines with the erase marker. You will find what works best for you, just keep trying.

Sharon

The Country Stitcher

Hi, just my two cents. I don't trust the pattern to always be printed straight, this came from an instructor. So I use my laser light and channel lock to line up the panto with the quilt. And since I have used my channel lock when stitching the baste line for placing the quilt top - I'm always right on.

Another thing I do to make sure all is square for when the panto is stitched - I check the inside border as well, running my machine hopping foot along the inside border, with the channel lock on, to make sure all lines up. Believe it or not, sometimes these top borders are wavy or the customer is 'off' on their width. Happens.

And I too have the pattern grid but don't use it for lining up as much as I use to.

Archived