Need some customer advice!

sewingjunky

I had a new customer bring me a quilt. Bottom line is a needle broke, tore the quilt, I called her got some more fabric and pieced it in. It has turned out great, you probably wouldn't see it if you didn't know....but it isn't what she ordered, and I did tear her quilt. So now when she comes to pick it up, what would be custimary (sp) to do with her bill. She seems like she was very understanding and I think she will be happy with my fix, but it isn't perfect!

What kind of discount? Do I do it for free now??? What do you guys do????

Thanks

Brendalee

Thanks

Brendalee

Hmmm that is a tough one, however, you did everything humanly possible to rectify the situation. You went to her, explained the situation and made the repairs. I think I would give her a discount, but I don't think it would be required of you to do it for free.

Sometimes open honest communication is the best policy, perhaps you could tell her that you feel you would like to give her a discount on the quilt, and ask her what she thinks would be fair.

One time a lady from our community cut me a beautiful bouquet of flowers from her garden and then put them in a crystal vase for me to take home. When I washed the vase I noticed there was a chip in it. I was just sick and looked everywhere for a similar vase. Finally I just went to her in honesty and told her about the chip and offered to pay for it. Her reply was, "Oh that was there when I gave it to you".

Let us know how you make out. Helen

Brendalee,

I don't think you need to give it to her free. I normally give my guild members a 10% discount so I would probably end up giving 20% off max. 10% would be fair I think. If the repair was very noticeable and really impacted the top I'd probably give a larger discount but I don't think I'd do it for free nless it was really bad! I'd see how the customer reacts and has to say. Sometimes we just can't help things.

I think the key is in what you mean when you say:

It has turned out great....but it isn't what she ordered

If you used the same fabric and pieced in a new piece and no one could tell the difference, then it's still essentially the same as what she gave you. I might give a 10% discount since she knows you had to make a repair for something you did and this is good will.

If there is some slight variation between what it looked like when she brought it in and what it looks like now, I might give a 20% discount. But - I certainly wouldn't do it for free.

You did all the right things by notifying her and fixing it. These things happen.

Good luck!

Julia Graves

Brendalee,

If your customer has done tops long enough she knows, things happen. She maybe a new customer to you but you have already handled the hardest part, asking for more fabric to make the repair.

I assume you have done the repair at no charge, so the discount is off of the original quilting quote.

Perhaps you could give her 10% off on this one and 10% off on the next. You really want to keep her as a customer, so offering something forward would be a good idea.

Just my thoughts,

Hope it goes well,

vg

Give her a 25% or less discount on her NEXT Quilt. You fixed it and I am sure she will understand. These things happen. What matters is you made it right and therefore your time is worth the quilting fee.

Keep your customer and a future discount gives you an opportunity to do something extra on the NEXT quilt top. Of course discuss this with her and I'll bet her heart is as warm as yours. You'll see. Keep your tie!!

Caron has the right idea for sure.

Just my advice. Not worth alot. lolol

Hugs and good wishes.

Grammie Tammie

I think a small dicount on this one and something on the next one would be good as Victoria says. Or Caron's ideas would be good, too. You fixed it and it's not noticable so I think you've proven your skills! I don't have a buiness or a LA (yet), so I think I'm coming at this from a customer's view point. Putting the whole discount on the next one wouldn't work for me since this is the one that was messed up. JMO

Hi Brendalee~

I made a big mistake on a friend/customer quilt. I really didn't want to frog it so I told my friend/customer about the error and offered to frog it or give her a discount. She was totally fine with the discount and she is still my friend and customer. Most importantly you and I are honest with our customers and fair. I wouldn't do it for free. I vote discount on this quilt or the next.

For what it's worth, that's my take on it.

BTW~any chance we'll have a Moxie group meeting/party in January at your studio? Maybe the snow and ice will be gone by then?

Bonnie :)

Archived