New Milli - No templates - - - Yet!

Daisy2018

New to forum, putting Milli together tomorrow, as if there wasn't enough going on already..... I'll play for awhile but would really like to know which templates are your very most used, useful, and favorite.I'd like to get some, but have limited budget. Have seen a few websites, such as Gadget Girls, but hope you can rec. others too. I have read almost everything forum members have written in the last 2 years, learned a lot, laughed a lot, cried a few times, and am amazed at your friendliness and supportive nature. Hope to hear from many of you, assuming you get this sometime after Christmas has passed...Many smiles to you all, Pat

Pat,

A warm welcome - so glad to have you with us and OMG - your Millie will go together tomorrow - how will you ever find time to have Christmas - you'll be quilting away on your new baby:D

As a newer Quilter (I got my Millie in July), I would definitely recommend something for SID - Smaller in size is better - easier to handle, especially for the beginner. I have also used a longer template with a wavy curve a lot - I use it to mark spines. Finally I have a set of circles and a moon shaped template - Use these to mark and to help stitch various angles and curves. After that - who knows - I am not the most experienced but I have used what I mentioned quite a bit and I know I will continue to use them. I think swag templates are next on my list.

Good luck and have fun!!!!!

Pat,

Welcome to the forum and the family. I can't imagine getting a Milli now and getting anything else done for Christmas! LOL I hope you are having fun and the assembly goes well.

My favorite tools are: Hartley base, Micro drives, dainty ditcher for SID and Renae's amazing arcs. I find I use these all over and over. I also love my nested ruler sets from Quilters Rule which I use to mark my quilts. I don't stitch using them but I mark tagets and then fill. For instance if I want to stitch flowers in a hexagon shape as an all over I can pick the size I want and mark the outline on my top and then stitch. As I get to the hexagon I fill it in. Another way that I use them is to mark my feather wreaths. I will mark the outside circle, middle circle and inside circle and then free-motion the feather using those targets as my guide. Remember to try a few different things and see what you love to do. For example do you prefer traditional quilting with lots of SID, cross-hatching and echoing or do you like the all-over designs with a modern twist. Let this be your initial guide. If you want to do mostly all-overs you should look at all the books out there for free-motion all-overs. If you love flowers I'd highly recommend DeLoa Jone's Quilt me a Flower Garden. If you love feathers I'd recommend Darlene Epp's workbook and all of her pocket guides are excellent sources for ideas. There are so many things available you'll have to pace yourself and find what you want to concentrate on. I'm sure if you find something you like others will be happy to make recommendations for you!

Good luck and enjoy.

When $ permits, you can't go wrong with the Circle Lord. The swirls template is pure money. It only takes about 4 big quilts to pay for it and then its quiltin' all the way to the bank!!! I can't say enough good about it. The only down side is that sometimes I nearly fall alseep using the template. It's as easy as rocking a baby (me) to sleep.

Welcome Pat. Glad that you got online with us. I also like something small to use for SID - I have the Itty Bitty and like it but everyone gets used to different things. I would recommend going to a large quilt show and playing with all the different tools to try them out. But for the most part, I like freehand. I do use a chalk pencil to mark different spots I will aim for to keep things even and symetrical. The best thing that I did when I first got my Millie was to buy a bolt of 108" muslin and used the whole thing up on practicing. I used it top and bottom and made several sandwiches queen size. And above all, don't be afraid, don't forget to breath and have a good time getting to know your Millie. Congratulations and I hope that you come and chat often.

Dear All who responded. great ideas and encouragement. I'm going to practice, practice, and practice, and start saving.... to chocoholic I've lived in Iowa, Alabama, Conn. but have been in north Georgia for 16 years. Have family in Iowa, CA., and of all places North Dakota. I've quilted years and years, starting out hand quilting for stay at home income. Jumping into machine quilting with both feet! One of my resolutions has to be to finish quite a few of the UFO's that just need quilting and/or binding to be finished. I really like the idea of the 108 muslin, will try to catch that really good sale for it after Christmas. Strange times in our country require faith and hard work, enjoy the simple goodness life offers, the beauty of the physical world , and the optimism of the very young. enjoying life, Pat

Pat,

Congrats on your new Millie! You will have so much fun with it so enjoy.

I am in Kennesaw, Ga so if you need anything let me know!!! My girlfriend has a Millie too and she lives in Decatur.

There are so many wonderful people here to help and to share with so welcome to the forum:):):)

I would second that advice from Teresa. I went a bit crazy on gadgets and rulers, and now have quite a few I never use. Like the terry twists - which you can do freehand. star templates etc. Oh well, had fun making all those purchases!!! I'm now considering listing some of them on the yahoo selling site for quilting, so again, get comfortable with your machine and then try a few templates.

Archived